EB1T Arrived Today - Send it Back?

MatthewSB

Enlightened
I got my EB1 Tactical today (the one everyone here knew has problems) and here's what's wrong with mine:

1. The well known "flickering" issue - when the button is rapidly pushed, instead of starting on low and going to high when fully depressed, it starts on high and after a few clicks it just shuts off and won't work for a few seconds
2. The lense is 'foggy'. I looked at this next to an LX2 and the EB1T is definately not clear like I'm used to. Is this a problem, or a design feature unique to this light?

I'm most concerned about the cloudly lense. The flickering problem doesn't bother me because I have no need to blink my light on and off over and over again. I have a call into Surefire to ask them about this, I'll update the thread when they call me back.

Other than that, the light is great - it looks great, fits well in my pocket, the lense down clip is great, has smooth sides, great anodizing, and it is super freaking bright for such a small light.

Thanks for any advice, especially any insight into the cloudy lense...

TMCGLASSON36

Newly Enlightened
The light frosting on the lens is normal. The one I had was the same way. The flickering wasn't a problem for me either but all that with green tint and short run times I was having was to much and I sold mine. Great throw and bright just not for me. Enjoy!

MatthewSB

Enlightened
Surefire called, I spoke with a very knowledgable guy, or at least he seemed that way to me.

The lense is supposed to look like that, so I won't worry about that.

The flickering is a design feature that surefire incorporated for the light to be 'programmable' in the future. Again, I know people here complain about this all the time, but what reason would you ever be clicking your light on and off more than 3 times?

I'm going to hang onto this light and enjoy it, now that I know I didn't get one with moisture in the bezel or something. It's like the LX1 that I want but it doesn't exist, only in black. I'm really starting to like this little light...

The light frosting on the lens is normal. The one I had was the same way. The flickering wasn't a problem for me either but all that with green tint and short run times I was having was to much and I sold mine. Great throw and bright just not for me. Enjoy!

When you say "short run time" were you using it on high a lot? Isn't 37 hours, or 40, or whatever it is supposed to be on low, a lot?

Mine doesn't have a green tint, shined on a white wall it looks yellowish to me, kind of like my old incandescent G2 does.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
He refers to the short runtime, in that the old e1b was well regulated and tapered gradually at the end. The Eb1 on high has half the runtime and drops pretty quick at the end according to the graphs I've seen.

The eb1 is a pocketable version of the Lx2, which is pretty awesome in my eyes :) enjoy your light and thanks for letting us know those aren't design flaws ;)

tonywalker23

Newly Enlightened
Ordered one today. Been wanting since I first saw it. Doing the smart thing with our tax money, buying me a flashlight and wife an ipad mini :)
Part of me knows there's going to be something wrong with it but I couldn't help it. Almost like buying a first generation apple product, you know it will have problems but you just have to have it. It'll be here in a few days. Ill do a post on it. Hope I get one that isn't green.

HitFactor

Newly Enlightened
I have not noticed the flicker. It does everything I need it to do, backup light in my kit that I can rely on. I really like the dim light then full light tail switch. Dim is what I use most of the time anyway. I carry a couple extra spare batteries just in case.

If you are not happy with it, definitely send it back.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Recently sent my EB1T back to be reprogrammed to deal with the issue of selecting low mode with a second full press of the tail switch. The problem remained when i received the light back today. A telephone call to Surefire revealed that the problem is a result of the standard program of the light, and reprogramming the light will not solve the problem, contrary to other information I received, including the previous telephone call to Surefire during which I was advised to send the light back.

Today, I also discovered that really trying to mash the tail switch as hard as possible, to fully compress the spring will cause the problem to increase. Firm, but less than 100% complete, presses will much more likely result in proper selection of high mode with each full press. Anyone else have this experience?

The more I play with this light, the more disappointed I am with this issue. When I pay Surefire prices for a light, I do so because I want/need the light to work the way it was designed to work 100% of the time.

litlmh

Newly Enlightened
Recently sent my EB1T back to be reprogrammed to deal with the issue of selecting low mode with a second full press of the tail switch. The problem remained when i received the light back today. A telephone call to Surefire revealed that the problem is a result of the standard program of the light, and reprogramming the light will not solve the problem, contrary to other information I received, including the previous telephone call to Surefire during which I was advised to send the light back.

I'm really disappointed to hear this! I don't know why Surefire couldn't make it right, but mine exhibited the exact same issue, and once I sent it back, it returned with the issue completely gone.

carrot

Flashaholic
The EB1-T is perfect for me as it is. Your EB1-T sounds normal. This is essentially the next generation of L1 and at that it succeeds.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
The problem with this issue is that if I am searching multiple areas rapidly, for example, 2 rooms 180 degrees apart, I cannot count on high when I search the second area, and might be counting on a mere 5 lumens for the half second advantage over anyone I might find that I am hoping for from the light.