Beamshots: Nitecore EA4 XM-L versus XM-L2

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
wrz2uv.gif

zoomed in, desaturated:
sgl3pl.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic
Nice comparison! Was it windy as hell? Seems like some trees were "disappearing" in the background :)

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a porch light that is off in XML and on in XML2. The beam profiles are also not aligned the same. So far, experienced flashaholics have reported the XML2 to have a tighter hotspot, not bigger. In my opinion, these pics are not fairly representative at all.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Overclocker, thank you for your work on this.

This isn't a criticism, and I may be completely wrong but it appears to me that these pictures were taken at different times or dates.

The reason that I ask/suggest is because of the trees appear to be trimmed/removed in front of the structure on the right. Also, the amount of light is changing at the horizon. Lastly, the camera shifts to the left and right slightly between the two shots, which actually exposes and hides the "west" face of the angle or peak above the main structure. Likewise, the "reflection" or light above the fence line appears and disappears.

I also realize that one could match the exposures from a previous session thus rendering the red cell tower glow correctly but the exact amount of light and atmospheric conditions would also be different.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
There is a porch light that is off in XML and on in XML2. The beam profiles are also not aligned the same. So far, experienced flashaholics have reported the XML2 to have a tighter hotspot, not bigger. In my opinion, these pics are not fairly representative at all.

Yeah, I just noticed that sticks and leaves in the driveway are appearing and disappearing which drew my eye to the sides of the drive and the height of the grass on the side which was recently cut. It also explains the situation with the trees in the background.

I would agree that it's nearly impossible to see the true difference but perhaps Overclocker would be kind enough to take these two lights out during the same evening and photograph then during the same session for us.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep those two were not taken during the same night, not even the same month :D as indicated above

unfortunately i don't have an ea4 xml anymore

BTW that's not a reflection, it's light bulb i have no control over

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

alignment is good. look at the vignetting from the edge of the spillbeam at the lower left and right corners