I had a X1

justmetoo

Newly Enlightened
I have an ARC AAA and an ARC LS. I was looking for something in between. An ARC AA would be about the same brightness as the AAA and I wanted something brighter. I wanted something using a single AA battery. I thought the Inova X1 might fit my needs. Well, I got my X1 and it seemed well made like a smaller version of my X5. The beam was tight, almost to tight, but ok. But before I had used up my first battery, it quit. I know I can send it back to Inova, but by the time I find a box, drive to the Post Office pay for my shipping, and include the $5 that Inova wants you to include with the returned flashlight, is it worth it? What other lights should I be considering?

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
RMA it. Also look at an Arc LS (hey, if you can absorb the cost of a defective X1 then you can probably afford an Arc LS second. Other than that, the only AA battery-using lights i know of are the Dorcy 1AA, Infinity Ultra and UK 2AA

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
justmetoo,
Maybe a MiniMiniMag with a MadMax and try it with a NX-05, Fraen Low Profile and a McFlood.

JamesWong

Newly Enlightened
Before it quit, was the light output constant when the battery is new and when it was nearly run out. I just want to find out whether the X1 has a regulator circuit to keep the output voltage stable.

My Arc AAA seems not have it. The light was dimmed as battery run out.

See my other thread "Arc AAA - only voltage step up, not regulation.

TheFire

Enlightened
Ya know, if you call up inova on the phone, it's likely that they'll just send you another one... mine quit in a similar way...

btw, the arc AAA is semi-regulated... meaning it dims a bit so that it doesn't just straight up DIE when your battery reaches whatever the magic voltage is for the step up circuitry. This also prevents the "flashing" effect you get from some lights... you know, as you get a really low battery, the light goes on, the voltage goes down, the light goes off, the voltage goes back up a bit till the light come back on, etc.

justmetoo

Newly Enlightened
I was on the original battery when the X1 quit. I had used it only for short periods of time, the longest maybe 5 minutes. I had not noticed any dimming. My total run time was probably less than 1 hour. The light had been on for maybe a minute. I looked away and when I looked back the light was out. I tried another battery, no help.