Cryos Illumination's Triple Function Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronac

Enlightened
UPDATE:

The indiegogo campaign is now live: http://igg.me/at/Cryos/

Please visit our campaign page for more information! Please share and support if you like the flashlight we've designed!

20130522233415-DSC_3670.jpg

This project has been in the works for about half a year and we finally have a working prototype in my hands. The project all started from a concept sketch, and with the help of two other talented partners, we made this light happen! :twothumbs

The light is CNC machined from a solid chunk of 6061 aluminum and hard anodized to protect it from daily wear. The circuit board is designed from scratch to be able to provide up to 1500 lumens on two 18350 batteries. It will also run on two CR123A's and a 18650. The knob beside the emitter is used to adjust the brightness of the light and pressing it down will turn it on and off. What make's this light unique is it's form factor. We have many ideas of where this light can be used but we'll leave that up to everyone's imagination for now.

In the very near future, we will be posting this project on to http://www.indiegogo.com/ (like Kickstarter but friendly to Canadians). For anyone that's interested, please follow this thread or follow us on twitter @cryos_

We'd love to hear any feedback anyone may have on this light. We will be releasing more information regarding the light as the project gets closer to being officially posted. Here are some photos of the first working prototype:

1z586lh.jpg

Light on at a dim setting:
30074oj.jpg

2n9l26r.jpg

Size comparison against an Surefire E2E and C2 with Cryos bezel
ww1c8y.jpg

ipo606.jpg

Last edited:

ronac

Enlightened
One of the goals was to allow this light to be used as a headlamp. We will be trying that out soon now that we've got the electronics mostly sorted out. The light with the battery weighs about 200 grams, which is a bit on the heavy side but that's the sacrifice for lumens. I've seen quite a few headlamps that are heavier than that but quite a few of them have remote battery packs to balance it out.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The interface is just perfect for a headlamp :)

The bigger question: You're not going to force us tint snobs into Cool white just to have an excellent formfactor and UI, are you?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
No way! I love the high CRI Nicha 219's!!

You can count on these being available with the Nichias.

I'm just going to quote that for posterity - you can edit your post, but not mine! :p

I'll be watching for the indiegogo campaign with baited breath :)

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, this looks great. Would it be able to stand by itself?

Last edited:

Paloa

Newly Enlightened
That looks like a very interesting form factor and maybe perfect for several application. How can it be attached to other things?

ronac

Enlightened
Wow, this looks great. Would it be able to stand by itself?

Yes, it can stand on it's side if that's what you're asking. It's pretty square so it'll sit pretty stable on all faces.

For attachment, the light has two 1/4-20 female threaded holes. One on the top and one in the back. The holes allow the light to use any attachment that a common camera can use. Also, we will be developing specific mounts to attach to the light as well.

ronac

Enlightened
Our campaign is almost ready. We just need to film our video and we'll be ready to get started.

For now, I'll leave you guys with a photo of one of the many possible uses of the light.

335bc40.jpg

xed888

Enlightened
Will this made available for the international market as well? Quite interested in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.