Moddoolar vs Mac's Comparison?

chimichonga

Newly Enlightened
Been looking around, but haven't been able to find a comparison between the Mac's Custom Tri-EDC and the Moddoolar? Is there one out there or can someone provide insight? What about other comparable lights?

chimichonga

Newly Enlightened
Sweet! I guess I'd like to know which wins in the following categories:

Brightness
Carry-ability
Ease of use
Battery Life for modes

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both GREAT lights!

The closest comparison would be the Mac's Tri-EDC vs the Pocket Triple Moddoolar Slim. The Moddoolar can be "Lego" configured in various ways, so we have to pick a config for it.

Mac's is a little smaller on the bezel head end, and maybe the tail end too.
The Moddoo on a single battery, which is the closest comparison, is about a couple hundred lumens brighter OTF. Not a huge amount when comparing lights this bright, but it does have the edge.

Carry-ability is going to be very similar. However, the narrower diameter of the head of the Mac's will appeal to those who like narrower lights for carry.

Both are very easy-to-use clickies.

When it comes to battery life, and battery configurations, this is where the Moddoo Triple shines because of it's Lego-ability to swap different battery tubes and tailcaps for various battery configurations and size/shape.
You can choose your battery life with the Moddoo, by choosing a battery tube that gives you the run time or brightness level that you want.
For example, the Moddoo can run on onecell, or two cells. If you run two cells, it gives you much more brightness and better regulated run time.
With a battery tube that holds either a 18650 or 2 x 18350, you can choose the higher lumens output of two 18350 cells that give about 1300 lumens OTF and a 20 minute run time on Maximum, or a single 18650 which will give about 950 lumens OTF and a longer run time on Maximum. Both can be used in the same tube, so it gives a lot of flexibility.

The Moddoo tube selections are very broad. You can choose the Stubby configuration for one 18350 which is only 2.75" long, and that would be MUCH shorter than the Mac's Tri-EDC.
Or you could use the 2 x 18350 battery tube, or the 2 x 18500 battery tube, or the 2 x 18650 battery tube. You can get the Slim tailcap, or the fluted Triad tailcap. You can make it clicky with a McClicky switch, or you can make it a twisty with the ZeroRez or ZeroRez shorty switch alternative. Etc.
The options are very wide in the Moddoolar product line.

So, there are a lot of differences.
It depends on what you want from the light.
Both are superb pieces of work for what they are intended to do.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a Mac, so my comments are only about Moddoolar. I have Nichia 219 and an XP-G2 cool heads. I can lego them on the stubby for something the length (not width) of an AAA or put them on on 2x18359 or 2x18650 for full power and run time. I really like them and the customer srevice is great.

Shooter21

Enlightened
I have both and i feel the Torchlabs module comes out on top since its more flexible, brighter and has a lower low.

dansciurus

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered up a lmh triple p60 drop in from tom@torchlab.
I likes the Fri edc but when I can have so many different options between a single 18350 to dual 22650s, it was a no brainer. The p60 format is just too awesome. I'll post up some pictures when I get it in the mail.

It burns when I Tapatalk...

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lack of a real low is what keeps me from Mac's. Had one once, but I need a lower low for edc use. It's a good, very well built light though. Too bad you can't order the brightness levels you want.

archimedes

Flashaholic
The lack of a real low is what keeps me from Mac's. Had one once, but I need a lower low for edc use. It's a good, very well built light though. Too bad you can't order the brightness levels you want.

Can't flucero28 set you up with what you want ?

rioimmagina

Enlightened
R: Moddoolar vs Mac's Comparison?

Yep, this was my biggest concern when I've ordered my tri-edc. However, i was not that disappointed with the level selection. The low is too high to use the tri as bed light, but for me that's the only limit.
In any case, mostly all the custom builder offer the standard l-m-h with forward clicky, and very orthodox level selection. I think that's a really poor UI, especially compared with some rock'n'roll solutions from the chinese manufacturers. Perhaps with a reverse switch would be better.
Apparently some hundreds of dollars aren't enough to get quality machining and smart UI.
By the way, i tried some photography with my tri 219. It's awesome!

smarkum

Enlightened
Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!
Re: R: Moddoolar vs Mac's Comparison?

So this thread is missing some pics . . . .

7314fa54-0831-4d78-86e8-3ef93e29e393_zpsf8afded6.jpg

20130616_151010-1_zpsd8a965a0.jpg

20130616_151320-1_zps529afc8b.jpg

Ok. That's better :)

And, you may notice that the Tri is missing a lens and LE. . . . well, that's because the LE is visiting Flucero28 for a little tweaking.

I carry the Tri every single day . . . and , it is generally the light on my nightstand. Mine came with the L,M,H UI. A simple and quick trip to NM to visit Flucero 28, and my Tri now has 4 levels with the low being the lowest low I've ever seen. Frank has the ability to program Mac's lights to almost anything anyone could want. I sure wouldn't let the preset level selection be a determining factor in whether to buy a Mac Custom . . . . Mac's machining is beautiful and the UI is simple. Mac is a machinist and a great one at that. There are others who can tweak emitters and levels and such. . . . It is nice that here on CPF we have access to both. And, it is awesome that we have access to the perfect combo on this particular light! I love my Mac so much that I bought a second, just to have a spare, and that LE is what is visiting Frank. Frank does EXCELLENT work and is very quick.

I love the Moddoo too! But for me, it is not as pocket friendly. I love how bright it is and that it will take multiple battery setups! It is my evening walk light. It is TOUGH and feels great in the hand for those late night walks. It puts out a nice beam and did I mention it is bright? It is my go to light when I'm doing things outdoors in the dark because it is tough and bright.

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: R: Moddoolar vs Mac's Comparison?

Vesatility is where the Moddoolars shine. The ability to lego bodies provides outstanding flexibilty. Do you want small size or long run time? The heads and dropins know if you are running 1 cell or 2 and adjust. Low voltage warnings and cutoffs allow you to use unprotected cells like the IMRs. They will run on one cell with reduced output or two cells with full output. And they may be pretty, but they are very tough.
XP-G2 Cool head, TL65 body (2x18350 or 1X18650). Nichia 219 head, TL20 body, DB tail with ZRS. Maratac AAA for reference. TL130 body (2x18650) for full output and long runtime.
image.jpg