Dereelight EZ900 XRE vs Vinhnguyen XP-E2 PILL COMPARISON! Nightmaster V2 host

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Before I start review I want to thanks all CPF members for keeping me updated will all necessary data regarding flashlights and flashlight accessories. I want to contribute to this small society so here we go with today theme:

Direct comparison of pills running in same hosts ( nightmaster V2). What can you expect?

Dereelight EZ900 XRE 1,5 A vs Vinhnguyen XP-E2 dedomed 3A

Vinhnguyen XP-E2 dedomed 3A
NM3-web_zpsf49fc88f.jpg

Dereelight EZ900 XRE 1,5 A
NM4_zps89b76128.jpg

For running full power with EZ900 1,5A you need extension tube for 2×18650 or 2×rcr 123/16340 without tube.

NM2-web_zps9f28031d.jpg
NM1-web_zps08705327.jpg

Can you see my light meter? It is placed 7 meters from light source.

Notice XRE EZ 900 pill and carefully look at the tape holding light meter.
web-4-nm_zps24c41a77.jpg

Notice XP-E2 pill and look at the tape... It is gone! Light is so strong that it covers tape!
nmw54_zpsb64599dc.jpg

Batteries used for testing are Sanyo 2600mah unprotected.

Now we will talk numbers but I will say that my meter underreads LUX numbers by 15% or even more! So I will calculate this difference for real results....

Dereelight EZ900 XRE 1,5 A pill measured 1860 lux at 7 meters. Formula is very simple 1860×7×7 = 91140 lux by my meter + add 15% up and results are 105kcd

Vinhnguyen XP-E2 3A pill measured 4220 lux at same distance! 4220×7×7 = 206780 lux by my meter+ add 15% up and results are astonishing 238kcd!

Dereelight EZ900 XRE 1,5 A pill is not that bad as it seems...
Advantage:
- It has larger hotspot than XP-E2
- It does not heat that much
- It can run continuously for hours
- 2×18650 battery configuration
- enough light for regular use

Disadvantage:
- Less throw
- Less flood
- It is not potted

Vinhnguyen XP-E2 dedomed 3A
Advantage:
- Incredible throw and hotspot intensity!
- Pill is well made, heavy and potted
- over 60 000 lux of throw in maximum flood mode of Nightmaster V2 if needed for Big Game hunting!
- better focus ability in Nightmaster v2

Disadvantage:
- Smaller hotspot than XRE EZ900 when fully focused
- It heats much so I am not sure if I want to use it over 5-10 minutes continuously
- De domed... Will it last like dome version? I am not sure...
- Slightly lux drop so it will have most lux at the start when flashlight is still cold and less lux when heat starts coming to emitter but you will not notice that unless you have lux meter.
- It is 1×18650 pill - So don't put 2×18650 batteries or it will die!

Final word Dereelight EZ900 XRE 1,5 A vs Vinhnguyen XP-E2 dedomed 3A:

There are no doubt who is throw winner here and I will say that Vinhnguyen XP-E2 dedomed 3A pill is must have for all throw fans! Extreme pill for extreme throw!

Dereelight EZ900 XRE 1,5 A pill is more than enough for regular use... When installed in Nightmaster v2 it will still throw further than most and twice as bigger reflector lights but it is not even close to hand made Vinhnguyen pill when it comes to throw!

About Nightmaster V2 host. Please don't reply with "who needs laser like beam", and "no purpose flashlight" because this is special purpose flood to throw light and you can adopt it to your demands! It can throw very tight or wider flood beam.

Yes it has ugly beam either way but don't white wall it just use it!

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Vinhnguyen XP-E2 dedomed 2.5A in my Xsearcher and can verify that it' throws significantly farther than a 2.1A EZ900. Heats up pretty quickly in my warm climate.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
I continue my comparison so stay tuned:

In following pictures you can see differences between Vinhguyen and Dereelight pill:

Vinhguyen pill on the left Dereelight on the right

webs_zps68528861.jpg

web-3_zpsc2554cb7.jpg

web4_zps0ee17972.jpg

Vinhnguyen XP-E2 3A in Xsearcher

web45_zps151ca6df.jpg

Results:

Lightmeter at 7 meters:

Readings 6000.... Formula 6000×7×7= 294000 lux adding 15% up (my meter underreads lux)

Final result: 338 100 lux or 338KCD

So I am not getting 380 like some members measured but maybe my meter under reads more than 15% who will know?

But frankly speaking I think my measurements are very correct...

Final word:

Very tiny little beam... Smaller than in NMV2 flashlight.

I recommend it to hardcore throw fans only or if you need to spot things from 200 to 1000 meters! It works best at 500-700 meters!

Crazy little thing this XP-E2 but it would be real bingo and much better if at least CREE make 3× bigger emitter than this one...

Last edited:

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
I know how to take macro shots and regular day shots... But night shots are killing me... But about throw you never seen that for sure.

Saabluster measured 380KCD in Xsearcher with his XP-E2 pill same as jmpaul320 with Vinh pill so throw is probably similar to OSTS TN31(much nicer beam of course) but however with Xsearcher aspheric you will see further in the night and I am 100% sure in that... I can even explain that theory if needed ;)

Last edited:

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know how to take macro shots and regular day shots... But night shots are killing me... But about throw you never seen that for sure.

Saabluster measured 380KCD in Xsearcher with his XP-E2 pill same as jmpaul320 with Vinh pill so throw is probably similar to OSTS TN31(much nicer beam of course) but however with Xsearcher aspheric you will see further in the night and I am 100% sure in that... I can even explain that theory if needed ;)

So does vinh's dropin come de-domed and does it come with the optics that you show? Would it be a direct dropin for a Solarforce P60 host?

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
:) Friend did you read my thread?

I am testing Vinh XP-E2 de domed pill in Nightmaster and Xsearcher so they don't come with Vinhnguyen pill. You actually must spend over 200$ only for this flashlights, and then another 50$ for Vinhnguyen pill.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
______^

of course the '2' weren't released back then,, the point is an xp-e and aspheric used together.
The physical differences between an xp-e & xp-e2 is negligible, other than driven level capabilities.

That point is moot because all small die emitters could only be driven a certain levels back then.

Last edited:

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Old XPE looks like XRE... With same bond wires and same/similar die. It is hard to see difference... I have some chinaspherical xpe, and I really can not see difference?

I want to say that XP-e2 and XRE EZ 900 are same size but there is visible difference, only issue for me when you de dome them they look much smaller in bigger aspheric like NM and XS.

Saablustar said "peak number is actually true for a larger part of the XP-E2 beam verses the old XRE's hotspot around the bond wires". That is true... For XRE(and probably old XPE) u could get higher lux readings only around bond wires, and that is also case with XML in aspheric...

I am thinking about leaving dome on XP-E2 next time and sacrifice lux because aspheric beam will be 30% bigger, and whole configuration will be more stable.

XP-E2 will still throw about 150KCD and it will be much nicer beam than XRE EZ 900.

Kemp

Newly Enlightened
Outdoor beamshots please?? I think this could be the tightest/brightest beam I could possibly get without buying an OSTS (which I plan on buying next month anyways) :whistle: . Would definately scare the foxes and coyotes away from the chickens! Then again, my 6D mag does that, might as well have them runnin with there tail between their legs! :twothumbs

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Just buy it if I say so :)

Nothing in a world of commercial available LED flashlights can even come close to throw of this Vinh pill in NMV2...

Yes even ultra big and heavy Olight SR95 rated at 250KCD will not out throw this(it will on paper but no in real life).

You will see further in the night with this little flashlight, and if you want extreme throw put Xsearcher head on...

I am still testing Vinh pill and so far it is recoil prof on heavy magnum calibers... If it will be good I will order more from him. Reliability is important but I bet if you just hand held this flashlight there should not be any problems.

Time will say.

Kemp

Newly Enlightened
Vin pill and a Xsearcher head, now THAT would be fun to play with!

lintonindy

Newly Enlightened
Vin pill and a Xsearcher head, now THAT would be fun to play with!

Xsearcher is on its way to Vinh currently, directly from Dereelight, to have his pill installed by the man himself. I won't even see the thing in stock form. I'm excited about this little thrower.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Yes. You will be impressed by throw of Xsearcher... XS is not little... It is big... But it really is little comparing to bigger reflector LED flashlights.

To bright and to tiny for close searching... It works best from 200 meters to infinity :tinfoil: take good binoculars with you because it shines well over 1000 meters.

But I still prefer NMV2 over XS... Nothing can replace my NMV2. XS is just for fun.

But you guys don't need to send them to Vinh for modification... Why? Because:

- just buy pill from Vinh
- buy pill holder from your local dealer
- screw Vinh pill into pill holder
- tight it firm into main body
- that way you will preserve stock pill (XML or XRE) in a case of Vinh pill failure(hope it will never happen but nothing lasts forever)
- you will save shipping cost

That is really simple...

Edit: So Is Xsearcher with 380KCD(measured by Saabluster and jmpaul320, i measured less) best throwing single 18650 LED flashlight in a world?

It seems that it really is!:eek:

Last edited:

Kemp

Newly Enlightened
Looks like the x searcher will be my next buy, gotta see it to believe it! 380KCD from a single 18650? I assume running 2 18650's would only effect the runtime, am I correct?

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
2×18650 in Vinhnguyen = :poof:
1×18650 in Vinhnguyen = about 40 minutes of runtime with HQ battery (it terminates at 2,9V so no need for panasonic, Sanyo 2600 is enough)

2×18650 in Dereelight 2MT-M pill = full power and longer runtime about 1,8 hours on high(about 85-100KCD)
1×18650 in Dereelight 2MT-M pill = 75% power and shorter runtime about 45 minutes on high(about 60KCD)

It seems that Xsearcher with Vinhnguyen XP-E2 pill really is best throwing single 18650 LED flashlight in a world? Correct me if I am wrong?

And Kemp don't be "doubting Thomas"... I don't have expensive light meter so it probably really is around 400KCD, and about 250KCD for NMV2

To bad that factory can not made such good drivers...

Alan friend if you will read this try to:
- tune stuff up with 3 A drivers
- put led emitters on copper star
- pot the driver with solder or some thermal compound

U don't have to do de-doming! People will decide if they want to de-dome or not... And if they want de-dome they loose warranty and you don't have legal obligation to them:)

Last edited: