simple mods to old surefires

Tyler A

Newly Enlightened
I have a surefire g2z, m6 and m900 weapons lights. Now that my tiny surefire e1b can outshine them all I wrote them off as a loss until I discovered CPF and saw the mention of moding lights and puttingng in upgrades, do I have any options on bringing these incandescent lights back to speed or atleast close?

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'm sure you can modify them all.
However i can only speak for the G2Z since I own it.

Look out for P60 dropins..
Or you can check out on Malkoff drop-ins.
They fit the G2Z nicely.
However, because it's a plastic body, it is recommended that you dont get too high powered versions.

As for battery, check out the 16340.
2 of these fits the G2Z nicely.

- JonK

Brigadier

Enlightened
For the M6, get a Phd-M6. Worth the $$. I had an MD60 for my M6 - terrible tint, so I sold it. A PhD-M6 and LF HO-M3T in an M6 and you will have a beam that every LED mfr will be jealous of. Go for quality of light, not quantity of light.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a surefire g2z, m6 and m900 weapons lights. Now that my tiny surefire e1b can outshine them all I wrote them off as a loss until I discovered CPF and saw the mention of moding lights and puttingng in upgrades, do I have any options on bringing these incandescent lights back to speed or atleast close?

Put a Malkoff M61L (whatever tint you prefer) in the G2Z
Get a PhD rechargeable pack for the M6 - I have this configuration and it's my favorite thrower-type light. Keep it incandescent.
For the M900, get a Malkoff MD10 LED drop in

Tyler A

Newly Enlightened
I'm checking all this stuff out and remembered today I have a e2d in my truck glove compartment so definitely want to go led with that but most of.the malkoff stuff is out of stock but I will keep an eye on it. Cland72; what is the advantage to sticking to incandescent in the m6, I was thinking the "throwy" head and a high output led ( like 700+ lumens would produce good results) even though I have some nice SF lights I'm pretty ignorant to the ins and outs of lights

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the G2Z, it is recommended to get the M61 L variant as mentioned by cland72, because of the plastic host. The normal or high output variant might generate too much heat.

Oh, IlluminationSupplies & OverReady sells Malkoff drop-in too.

- JonK

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm checking all this stuff out and remembered today I have a e2d in my truck glove compartment so definitely want to go led with that but most of.the malkoff stuff is out of stock but I will keep an eye on it. Cland72; what is the advantage to sticking to incandescent in the m6, I was thinking the "throwy" head and a high output led ( like 700+ lumens would produce good results) even though I have some nice SF lights I'm pretty ignorant to the ins and outs of lights

I've heard accounts that the M6 in stock format out throws the newer M6LT which is 700-900 lumens. It's been well vetted that incandescent lights throw better than LED lights. I think you're better off getting a rechargeable solution for the M6 (such as the PhD battery pack) than trying to throw an LED in it, or buy a conversion head.

For example, I briefly owned a Malkoff MD60, but after using it in my M6, I sold it. It didn't throw as far, and the color was pretty awful on it. Just my .02 on why you should keep the M6 incan.

Tyler A

Newly Enlightened
Got it thanks for the tips cland72. I was just under the impression that incandescent lights were inferior at this point, I stand corrected

Brigadier

Enlightened
I've heard accounts that the M6 in stock format out throws the newer M6LT which is 700-900 lumens. It's been well vetted that incandescent lights throw better than LED lights. I think you're better off getting a rechargeable solution for the M6 (such as the PhD battery pack) than trying to throw an LED in it, or buy a conversion head.

For example, I briefly owned a Malkoff MD60, but after using it in my M6, I sold it. It didn't throw as far, and the color was pretty awful on it. Just my .02 on why you should keep the M6 incan.

This is my experience as well.

Tyler A

Newly Enlightened
This is my experience as well.

Does surefire still make the incan replacement bulbs for the m6 or will I have to buy them from an aftermarket company? I still have the original in the light and the extra high output (500 lumens I believe) bulb it came with in the box

Brigadier

Enlightened
SureFire is out of the incan arena. Whatever stock is left is hit-or-miss. You can find incan lamps for sale on CPF Marketplace and on the Internet by searching around. Lumens Factory still sells their line of SureFire compatible lamps. If you can find a FiveMega MN bi-pin tower, then you can use that tower to run various bi-pin bulbs from Welch-Allyn and others.

Surefire may not be producing new incan lights, but they are still supporting them with bulbs and parts. You can still buy incan bulbs directly off of their website, for example.

http://www.surefire.com/mn20lamp.html

http://www.surefire.com/mn21lamp.html

Brigadier

Enlightened
I find the LF lamp assemblies beams to be whiter and rounder than the SF LA's.

Brigadier

Enlightened
How's the lifespan compared to SF bulbs?

I am not sure as I do not really keep track of bulb run times. However, I will say that I have never had a LF LA :poof: on me like I have had a few SF N3's do.

I will say this though, in my Phd-M6 powered M6's, the HO-M3T is much whiter, rounder and out throws the MN20.

HydroDynamic

Newly Enlightened
Talking to a SF rep, he said the incan's will be switched over to the led heads if they discontinue bulbs. This might be good or bad depending on which you prefer.
I have incan m6, m6lt, and xml2 md60. I prefer primaries for power and long term storage with no maintenance charging. The m6lt is the worklight with superior power. The m6 and mn21 is in dedicated standby ready to go on new cells and the md60 is ready to step in if I need two work lights or SF bulbs go out in any of my m3,4,6.
SF incan's are and will always be the muscle cars of flashlights. Led will surpass them, but you will still want to take them out for a spin.

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
I keep 3 spare 17670's and a fully loaded MB20 in a small camera case with my M6's. And I rotate the batteries out every 3-4 weeks and recharge them. Part of the fun of this hobby.