When JFK was shot I was...

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
in 11th grade French class in St. Patrick's High School in Halifax, N.S., Canada. It seemed like the whole world had stopped. It ran through my mind that the USSR might have been attacking or something. We were glued to the TV for days at home. He had a great impact on the whole world. He will be missed for a long time.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in the third grade, another teacher came into our classroom with tears in her eyes and whispered to the teacher. The teacher announced the President was dead.

I was eight years old and at the time perturbed that I couldn't watch cartoons on TV, just endless news reports and footage about the shooting.

GregR

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just out of high school and working for my uncle who was selling the latest rage - 6 transistor radios.

I was demonstrating the latest model to a customer in the retail store at the company and tuned to the strongest channel.

While doing this, the news bulletin came on telling of Kennedy's death. The customer and I just looked at each other.

He walked out and I went in back to tell my co-workers. I'll never forget that day!

Marty

dark star

Enlightened
I was in Jr. High on a field trip to the L.A. Natural History Musium. We were all walking up a big flight of stairs when everyone started to talk about it. Those stairs are burnt into my memory.

Tomas

Banned
... in second year French class.

Instructors were all paged to the intercom handsets on the walls of the classrooms and ours broke down partway through telling us what she had been told.

A few minutes later the paging mic in the main office was put in front of a hastily dragged in radio and we spent most of the rest of the day in those particular classes - no class changes - listening to the horror unfold.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
......doing some special care at the home of an old man who had ulsers on his swollen legs. I was in Jr College, and was working as an orderly through a registry. The TV was on and when word came that the President had been shot, the old guy almost jumped up with excitement. He said, in effect, "Serves him right, I never could stand that guy". He was totally happy. Course, I though he was a jerk. I will never forget that day, and that old man.

Bill

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
...goofing off during a last period study hall in 7 th grade. Everyone got real quiet in disbelief. I think everyone had that "it can't happen here" attitude. We grew up in a hurry that day.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was in fifth grade at the time.

We were in class, having a typical day, when someone walked in form the hallway, walked over to the teacher, whispered something, and left.

The teached placed one hand on her face and rested her elbow on a folded arm, Jack Benny style, only without the grin. She turned quiet and ashen-faced and stared out the window for awhile. She started to look a little teary-eyed. The class sat in quiet astonishment as we wondered what had happened, trying to read her face, and after what seemed like an eternity of silence, she quietly broke the news to us in a trembling voice.

We didn't know what to say or do. Many of us turned and looked out the window, as if looking for either an answer or expecting an invasion by Cuba. I think they sounded the air raid sirens that day, which only added to the spookiness of the moment.

I will never forget that day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sitting in my car at a drive-in restaurant at lunch break from junior year high school.It was on every am radio station and fm stations too.I went back to school just to see every body else leaving and the buses were there for the rest.The visual memory of the moment I heard that is forever implanted in my memory.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was still an egg, probably about another month before I even got to and went down the fallopian tube yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
This killing took place about 10 months before I was born, so I have no additional commentary to add here.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember that I was watching it happen on live TV. I also remember that relatives arrived during that time, and I answered the fromt door. I broke the news to everyone. I was told I was a Liar, and I told them to go watch it on TV, where I had seen it happen! I was born in 1956.

As to the 'shooter' working for Soviets or Castro: I don't buy it. The reason for this, is that Kennedy made a deal with the Soviets to NOT invade Cuba IF the Nuclear Missiles were removed. This deal just recently came to light, as it was classified for many years.

Now, the CIA certainly had motive to do so. After all, they were rabid anti-communist, and hated Kennedy for pulling the rug out from underneath their plans to assassinate Castro.

Whether they were involved or not is another matter entirely.

There is this matter of ballistics and how bullets behave in living matter, like heads. Typically, the exit wound is much larger than the entrance wound. If Kennedy's brains came out the back of his head, how can he have been shot from behind? This is one of the reasons that conspiracy theories still exist. Also remember that the CIA was heavily involved in the Warren Comission and some aspects of the crime scene processing were bungled.

Whether or not there was a conspiracy by elements of our own government to assassinate the President, the elements for one certainly existed.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had just gotten out of high school, and at the time I was reading all night and sleeping all day, getting up at 5:00pm or so. Strange I know but I was into this reading in solitude thing. On the day JFK was shot, I awoke from a Sound sleep at 11:30 am , got up and went down to the kitchen to turn on a radio, it was almost as if I knew something had happened, and it was totally out of character to get up with very little sleep. It will always mystify me as to why I awoke that morning out of a sound sleep the way I did. At the time I thought that there must have been so much emotional anguish that it somehow manifested itself into some type of telepathic energy. I was seventeen at the time, and that was the best I could come up with.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
11 months old.....

Being one of the generation "Post JFK", I really have never bought into the mystique

Edited to remove possible hijack

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I was 3 years old. I don't remember much except TV was kinda messed up!

I don't know what to believe as far as what really happened that day. I don't subscribe much to conspiracy, but the facts don't quite mesh either...