E2e LOTC

Sharp

Enlightened
I thought I would have made this known to all of you CPFers...
My dad bought me an E2e on March 2003 and EDCed it ever since. This light has been continously been in my pocket and I mostly used it for momentary light (press/depress), so used the rubber part on the tailcap a lot.
Well, this is what happened:

fa7f3656.jpg

While this is an E2 Gun Metal Tail Cap, as new.

fa7f3602.jpg

Every time I operate the button, "black stuff" comes off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
Or my finger gets dirty. It also dirties whatever it is rubbed on. Here's a picture for you all to take a look at /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif...
fa7f35f3.jpg

Some of you know I'm a sick light abuser and have done horrible things to flashlights (sometimes just for fun...but mostly for testing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif), but I've done no "extreme" tests on my E2e...Just accidental falls.

Richard

Size15's

Flashaholic
My EDC models do this too. Bald push buttons!
I needed a new TailCap for my E1 and E2e and M2 and A2 and L4... The switch button rubber does wear out and like the tape pressure switches is a part that SureFire considers a "consumable". I'd call SureFire order a replacement and see what they have to say.

Al

Sharp

Enlightened
My father and I already tried to contact SF and they're service was great. However, its service failed when it had to rely on the local SF dealers. They said the tailcap isn't imported in Europe and had to buy a new light if I wanted the tailcap. They had to special order to SF USA for €60!!

Al, do you know a better way to get tailcaps here?

Thank you,
Richard

kev1-1

Enlightened
I have heard of this happening before...surefire replaced the tailcap I believe. You may even get the new Z57, if they are beginning to replace the Ex series LOTC...

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, my E2 tail cap is bald, but doesn't rub off like that!

My E2 took 3 years to get bald, you said yours is from March of this year? That's only 8 months!!!

Woa, my opinion SF owes you a replacement. Can't your local dealer call SF and arrange to have a replacement sent to them?

GregR

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why a whole new tailcap? Anybody happen to know if one can purchase only the rubber part from SF?

(I'd be interested in getting one of these myself also.)

brightnorm

Flashaholic
If replacement is problematic try glueing a round piece of ribbed/patterned rubber or other material.

Brightnorm

Sharp

Enlightened
It sounds like all Personal Series have this kind of problem Al, if most of your lights that needed a new tailcap were from that series. My Z3 tailcap looks as new...but it is strange you M2 did the same thing.

Yes, I've already tried arranging some way to replace the tailcap but as I told you already, it would cost me too much. As per the B/S/T suggestion, it's a problem because shipping and other reasons like payment...

I'll try making some more noise around and see if SF Italy will get me one or special order it to some dealers.
However, this wouldn't solve the problem since it'll happen again in some months. I think the only solution here would be to shift my EDC to combatlights (hmmm...that would be great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif ). This is strange because my E2 GM is OK and L1 too...

Richard

kev1-1

Enlightened
"If it breaks...we fix it"...if my tailcap did this I would expect it to be replaced under the warranty. I thought only the 123A's and lamps were excluded? My experiences of SureFire customer service have always been excellent ones.

Size15's

Flashaholic
All rubber switch parts wear out - in order to be grippy they have to. Just like tires.

This is from the SureFire.com site:

"Guarantee

Lamps will burn out, batteries will be used up, and tape switches for WeaponLights™ will eventually need to be replaced. Everything else is covered by our lifetime no-hassle guarantee: If it breaks, we fix it!
"

So according to this the push button [TailCap] should be replaced.

Al

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think it would be better if the tailcaps were designed so the rubber cover could be replaced...seems really wasteful to throw away a perfectly good switch just because the rubber part is worn out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sharp

Enlightened
Or maybe make them so you don't have to replace them...like ARC does or the one on the Inova X-1...

:EDIT: - You know, Murphy's always out there looking for you!

Richard

Kentucky Rifle

Newly Enlightened
I've seen this happen with motorcycle seats. In that case, it meant that the vinyl was "breaking down". Usually, it was caused by sunlight. Sticky black. Maybe rubber breaks down like this too. Obviously, since it was in your pocket, sunlight is not the problem. Maybe heat????

Will

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i suspect it might have to do with body oils and sweat from the skin. perhaps rinsing it in soap water regularly might help?

Sharp

Enlightened
Will, it could have been heat, but this rubber doesn't look like it will receive such a damage from heat, also because the only heat this light receives is my body's heat, and that isn't much...

chamenos, do you mean that body oils and sweat could have corroded the LOTC? It could be, but I have some doubts about it...
First of all, my fingertips don't really perspire, and that is the only part that touches the TailCap.
Rinsing it with soap, I think, would be worse. The word "rinse" already gives you the idea that the LOTC would receive damage from doing so.

Anyway, what is done is done, and there's no going back. I'll have to either stick with this LOTC or find a replacement.

Richard