Finally bought a KL1...

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
...A satin grey model, directly from SF. I'd heard from a fellow CPFer a while back that SF sells the KL1 in satin grey (formerly known as gun metal), but you had to call them to order it, since it's not shown on their website.

Anyway, I know that the KL1 has become "old hat" since it's been out for quite a while, but I'd never gotten around to getting one. The E2 that I own is satin grey because I thought that that particular model looked kinda "classy"; plus I prefer the texture of it's knurling as opposed to the type III HA.

As far as the LED's color, I didn't know what to expect. I've read quite a few negative comments about the violet tint...some more than others...in the luxeons that SF uses. I must've gotten lucky, because the color of mine is very good! It has an ever-so-faint violet tint in the hotspot, but the inner and outer corona are both very white, and the overall output is very good.

I think that the SG KL1 on an SG E2 is a VERY sharp looking light, and I've gotten quite a few "ooh and aah" type comments from my coworkers. Like I said, I know that the KL1 is "old hat" as far as our forum is concerned...but I'm extremely pleased with mine in both looks and function. Now I've gotta let "Santa" know that I want an E1eSG for Christmas to put my SG KL1 on...I've GOT to have one! I'm a flashoholic, and it's a moral imperative!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PJD

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm, can you take a pic of that KL1 of yours? might be interesting to see how it matches up with the E2 that you have.

Btw, i think the advancement in luxeon tech gets its way to SF luxeon department, which may explain why you get better lux than those people who bought them in the old days (including me, but hey, then what is R2H for? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree but they can use some help. If yours is fairly white, you have a good one. I had an old one and was very pleased with it. It was a marvel to me when I first got it. It was blue or "violet" however and I grew tired of the color and it just didn't seem bright enough after awhile. As shiftd alluded to, I finally modded it with an R2K and what a difference! Nice bright white light and great beam! This is what they should have been in the first place!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
PJD,
I know that you've gotten your hands dirty doing mods before, so I think that you should drop a high dome luxeon in there. Make a good thing better!

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
shiftd...I don't own a digicam, but I can tell you that color-wise, the KL1 matches the body of my E2 perfectly! VERY nice looking light...

PJD

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even better, overdrive the R2K (or any good high dome) or use a Luxeon III and boost it to 700mA.

CM

83Venture

Enlightened
I have one of the GM/SG KL1s. Like it well enough but the beam has a purple center with a light green outside which keeps me from switching out the origional head. Have been thinking of asking one of the Modders (Chop?) about replacing the LED. Wonder if they have a GM/SG KL4 head?. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif