2xAAA Maglite mods?

Flint Hills

Newly Enlightened
I attempted a search but couldn't find anything...so my apologies if there's tons of threads on this already!

I have an old 2xAAA mag that I would love to spruce up a bit. I couldn't find a LED drop-in online or really any kind of mod info. I know it would be easier to just buy something new, but I have new lights already and I don't really want to throw this one away.

Any suggestions?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I attempted a search but couldn't find anything...so my apologies if there's tons of threads on this already!

I have an old 2xAAA mag that I would love to spruce up a bit. I couldn't find a LED drop-in online or really any kind of mod info. I know it would be easier to just buy something new, but I have new lights already and I don't really want to throw this one away.

Any suggestions?
bite you lip and throw it away as most likely it will cost you more to make it underperform vs a new 2AAA LED light. They now have mag 2AAA LED lights showing up in stores for under $20 if I remember correctly a dropin may cost between $8-$15 and it may have older technology LEDs in it also.

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
It's going to be a totally custom job. I'm not trying to be a **** head or make a smart *** comments but if you have to ask its above your skill set. If you just want a cheap kids toy I think you an shove a 50¢ 5mm colored LED down the incan socket but...

As you found there's no good quality drop ins (maybe none at all for the 2xAAA version, there are a few cheap ones for the 2xAA) and like lynx said you can buy a led minimag for under $20, it will cost that much for a drop in and the real led mag is better than the drop in in terms of light output, beam pattern, run time, every way.

If you really want to upgrade it (to do it right) you will need to decide what emitter want to use, machine a aluminum heatsink/emitter mount to fit the head, decide if you want to make that work with the stock reflector (otherwise you'll need to machine a reflector too) then find a driver that will fit the left over space and run off of 2xAAA's and solder all that together. Don't forget a glass lens and the thermal epoxy/compound you'll use. Be ready to spend $50+ on materials alone to do it this way and if you can't machine the aluminum yourself I'd triple that figure. Oh yea since its a twist loose to turn on light you'll have to figure out how to switch it on and off too.

Please don't be offended, when I first started modding lights I wanted to shove an LED in every old light I owned too, then I sat back, thought about what it would really take, realize for that I could buy a MUCH MUCH better light and left the minimag in the random crap drawer untouched. It still gives off usable light, let it do that and get yourself something 100 times brighter, with a better UI, in a nicer more durable package, with everything else you might want.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will have to go with Lynx_Arc and say buy the new Minimag LED AAA. It has the same shape and should work the same way as your current Minimag AAA (all the other brands twist in the opposite direction).

All the Terralux TLE-20 seem to be sold out.
I have a spare TLE-20 lying around but I have ruined the reflector. If you can find someone with a spare reflector, I can send that to you. The TLE-20 comes with 2 reflectors - one for the AA, one for the AAA minimag. Try posting in cpfmarketplace.com to see if anyone had bought the TLE-20 for an AA mag and had kept the smaller reflector. (You will need to reregister at CPFMP, Your CPF registration does not work.) The other alternative is drilling out the hole in your current reflector.

If you find a reflector PM me. I tend to unsubscribe from threads.

Note the TLE-20 is only 20 lumens and has a terrible beam. The hotspot consists of a yellow ring around a white center. The new AAA LED Minimag is 84 lumens, about 4X vrighter.

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
I have two of those aaa mags and I agree with all of the above recommendations. I never updated them due to cost vs what you get for your efforts. They are too nice to throw away so I just keep them with the batteries removed. I know they will work if I should ever need them.

justin22885

Newly Enlightened
question.. is it better to have an LED light, or an incandescent light with an LED bulb allowing you to quickly change LED bulbs should you choose to for different purposes?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Justin22885, please start your own thread with that question. Mostly OT for this thread topic. :)

Bill

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
In a way I agree but there's a first time for everything and I've done several Minimag mods now including AA,AAA, and Solitaire, and all way outperform the originals. If you have to ask then maybe you are curious enough to learn. If so then by all means try it. Hard to beat the feeling when you succeed. Check out match's mods. He's one I followed.