Nitecore MT40 with Aspherical Lens (IMAGES)

James3

Enlightened
I decided to stick an aspherical lens in a Nitecore MT40!

Heres my results:
(iv'e only just done the mod and it still has a bit of insulation tape holding it together!)

I also do not have any outside beam shots yet as its still light here in the UK:duh2:
ujwm.jpg

98gq.jpg

3ts7.jpg

r97x.jpg
w88s.jpg
1jap.jpg
fw0u.jpg
1li0.jpg
uy6a.jpg

James3

Enlightened
Improved a lot, the beam profile is a lot thinner but also travels a lot further, comparing it to Nitecore's specs of 363m I would say it is now about 450-500m, it does still have a tiny bit of spill which is useful, most of the light is now focused in the shape of the die but slightly blurred, so looks almost round which is what I was after!

NITECORE 1

Newly Enlightened
Just curious about the distance the light can reach after modification. It seems like the beam is more focused but narrower.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Improved a lot, the beam profile is a lot thinner but also travels a lot further, comparing it to Nitecore's specs of 363m I would say it is now about 450-500m, it does still have a tiny bit of spill which is useful, most of the light is now focused in the shape of the die but slightly blurred, so looks almost round which is what I was after!
that's always a good thing when your own DIY mod turns out just how you wanted it

James3

Enlightened
Just curious about the distance the light can reach after modification. It seems like the beam is more focused but narrower.

Yep its a lot more focused and a lot narrower but seems to have a much better throw, and a tiny bit of spill, ill put on some beamshots now.

James3

Enlightened
Here's a beamshot of the MT40 with the Aspherical lens (pictures not great as they are taken on my phone)

937l.jpg

I also had a mess around with another lens and came up with this:

m64d.jpg

waol.jpg

tz1s.jpg

z68q.jpg

ajn2.jpg

edgar

Newly Enlightened
Cool , its giving lot of idea ,
Do you know how to choose the size of the lense , are the bigger one better , or does it have to match the led size some how ?

James3

Enlightened
Cool , its giving lot of idea ,
Do you know how to choose the size of the lense , are the bigger one better , or does it have to match the led size some how ?

To be honest I just go with old fashioned trial and error, I took the original lens out and measured it, then bought a couple that fit the measurements and wacked them in to see which one would be best.
Suppose you could work it out all mathematically but I can't be bothered with all that!
Plus the lenses are hardly expensive and with free shipping you can't go wrong

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If you adjust the depth of the lenses, you can sharpen the die image and improve the throw.

A spacer ring, etc, can be added to the mount, shaved off, etc, to obtain the ideal depth.

I found that just holding the lens in front of the light, and moving it in/out to see the depth that works best, is all that's needed for that.

Here's an SC600 (NOT known for throw) shining through a lens as an example:

6993703491_4d8e3ef40f_c.jpg

As you can see, the ideal depth location is far ahead of the original bezel. A spacer would therefore allow the aspherical lens to focus better and throw farther.

James3

Enlightened
If you adjust the depth of the lenses, you can sharpen the die image and improve the throw.

A spacer ring, etc, can be added to the mount, shaved off, etc, to obtain the ideal depth.

I found that just holding the lens in front of the light, and moving it in/out to see the depth that works best, is all that's needed for that.

Here's an SC600 (NOT known for throw) shining through a lens as an example:

6993703491_4d8e3ef40f_c.jpg

As you can see, the ideal depth location is far ahead of the original bezel. A spacer would therefore allow the aspherical lens to focus better and throw farther.

Yep I've done that I've put it a bit further off to make the beam slightly rounded and less square it doesn't look very good when you can see an exact copy of the chip in the beam, in my opinion anyway, but as in my post above if you put an aspherical lens on a light and then shine it through a convex lens you get a perfect circular spotlight, the throw is decreased but it does look awesome at night