Deciding between LSH and LSH-P Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geode

Enlightened
I have decided to buy one because the AAA has been so impressive. The website mentions that the standard LSH is the bang for the buck light while the LSH-P has more brightness and better color qualities.

I've searched for side by side beamshots of these two lights and could not find any - maybe because of my search parameters.

The $$ difference between the models is enough to get my attention. Any opinion about the difference between these models would be very much appreciated.

Edited to correct - LSH (thanks, avusblue)

avusblue

Enlightened
I recommend starting with a Standard, save some money, and you won't know what youre missing. But how much of a perfectionist are you? I have them both and the P is indeed whiter and slightly brighter.

For me, in "normal" use (i.e. walking the dog or putzing in the garage), I honestly can't tell which one I have in hand. In "geek" use (i.e. shining on a white wall for fun), the difference is noticable.

Either way, I know you'll love owning an LSH. Another side benefit of buying the Standard -- consider the difference in cost your head start to also aquiring an L4! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Good luck and Welcome.:) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave

(PS - I corrected the model names in the title -- LSH, not LHS) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Geode,
Welcome to CPF!
I recommend that you buy the LSH-P if you can afford it. If I bought the standard and everybody kept talking about the LSH-P I wouldn't be satisfied until I got the Premium. The LSH-S is a great light, but the LSH-P is better. When you get yours you'll probably love it and then it'll grow on you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always wondered why the price difference between the two is so significant? Surely the LED used in the P can't cost $40-50 more then the one that is used in the standard.

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
I've always wondered why the price difference between the two is so significant? Surely the LED used in the P can't cost $40-50 more then the one that is used in the standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter mentioned in the FAQ as this:-

[ QUOTE ]
A large percentage of the LEDs manufactured are unsuitable for flashlights in our opinion. Usually this is because the tint is too green for a white light. Arc hand sorts LEDs for each flashlight we make. With current yields, about 7 percent of the Luxeons received make it into a Arc-LS standard and about 1 percent make it into an Arc-LS Premium. This causes frequent shortages with the Arc-LS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got my LSH-P today. After being so amazed with AAA-P till now, the light of LSH-P is just awesome. I appreciate having the 1%.

[ QUOTE ]
avusblue said:
I recommend starting with a Standard, save some money, and you won't know what youre missing. But how much of a perfectionist are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree this.

I started with ARC-AAA-P, later when I got AAA-S and AA, I realized that I wouldn't have missed anything if I started with AAA-S.

I am not exactly a perfectionist, but I just wanted to maximize the satisfaction since it is rare occasion for me to spend some big money, and also to offset the trouble of an international order.

If I had a chance of seeing LSH-S and LSH-P together, provably I would have decided to go for LSH-S instead of LSH-P.

DJP

BillM

Newly Enlightened
I have both. If you shine it on walls all the time, get the P version. If you use it all the time in normal use, you would be hard pressed to see the difference. Personally, if it were me, I'd get the best sale price possible on the standard version and save the extra money for the next light you want.

Bill

Lexus

Enlightened
I agree with this_is_nascar, premiums are wither and should also be a bit brighter. Remember, we won't see the LS4 before march next year, so you have enough time to save money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Get the best of the LS series until the next "best" comes out...

Deanster

Enlightened
The 'Luxeon Lottery' will do more to determine the difference than the -S v. -P choice.

Although Peter & Co. do a great job of selecting out the best for the -P lights, you can still end up with an -S that's not very different from a -P. The best -P next to the worst -S is a big deal, worth the price difference. The best -S next to the worst -P makes the -S an amazing deal.

IMHO, the best bet is ordering 3 LS seconds, choosing the best in the 'grab bag', and giving the rest away as gifts.

But if you're not a risk-taker, the LSH-P is the least 'risky' choice - that's what you're paying a 50% premium for.

Status
Not open for further replies.