SF Q's: grip rings & grip on 6P, M2 & M3T

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF Q\'s: grip rings & grip on 6P, M2 & M3T

I have really grown very fond of my SF D2, but there is one thing that bothers me: my hand can't seem to comfortably maintain the proper grip on the light. I find that my hand slips backward towards the LOTC until I have to move it forward again to be comfortable. If I make a conscious effort, this does not happen, but I imagine that the grip ring of the M2 and C2 would solve this problem.

Am I right? Is the grip of the M2 noticeably better than the 6P? Should I get an M2, or is the difference so slight in terms of grip that it's not worth it?

Also, is the grip of the M3/M3T even better? I read in a review that it is very ergonmically designed and comfortable to hold in a number of positions. I also read that the grip ring of the M3/T can be adjusted forward or backward to fit your hand.

And finally, how is the M3T when carried in the V71 holster? Is it still awkward and bulky with it's 2.5 inch turbo head, or no?

Thanks everyone for any help and advice you can give me.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SF Q\'s: grip rings & grip on 6P, M2 & M3T

jim sexton:

in short, YES /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif this is why the C2/M2 is one of my favourite lights. the grip ring allows you to hold it in the syringe grip, and even when held in the conventional overhand position, the grip ring serves as a physical obstruction which prevents the light from slipping forward. the gripe you have about your D2 was exactly what bothered me about my 6P, which is why i got a C2 to replace it.

i had an M3, but i found the light a little too front heavy, though the grip was excellent. i have a G2Z, and i didn't have to adjust the position of the grip rings. chances are if your hands aren't abnormally large or small, you wouldn't have to either. if you go with a C2/M2, in return for the lack of an adjustable grip ring you get the pocketclip which is pretty useful. instead of the C2 or M2, you might want to get an L5 instead, which is just slightly larger than the M2, and has the same body as the C2 and M2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

about the M3T, i think it would be pretty bulky and heavy but i can't speak with any authority since i've never owned one. i did handle an M4 before and the first thing i noticed was that holding it in the overhand position would be rather cumbersome, due to the heavy turbohead.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

chamenos,

You're going to have to PM me so I can send you some of those lithium batteries we talked about as a consultation fee! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So, my quandry now is that I already bought a C2 bezel AND an M2 bezel for my D2, both of them in black. I wonder how much a black C2 body alone, with no bezel, LA, or LOTC, would cost and where I could get it. That way I wouldn't have to jump through B/S/T hoops. On the other hand, I sure do like HA type III over type II. So maybe I should sell my D2 and black M2 bezel and buy a complete M2. Hmmm.

Also, I was looking at beam shots, and I think the M3T beam will be too tight for me, assuming that it is comparable to the SRTH w/ N2. I already have a tight focus long throw light, and that's all I want at the moment. Personally, something like a 10X dominator is more useful to me on a day to day basis. Still, man that M3 turbo is one sexy torch! Wow it looks good. I saw two of them on a TV show the other night, too. And they looked good there. I don't know what kind of beam the non-turbo M3 has, but if it's front heavy, I'm a little reluctant about it.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Jim,

I think you should email Ken J Good [email protected] because I've seen videos of him carrying both the M3 and M3T (both bezel up) in V71 CombatHolsters side-by-side on his belt.

Personally, the Blackhawk or SOE "M6" pouch is a far better method.

Al

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

jim sexton:

if you're going to buy a new M2, i think you'd be better off getting an L5, since it shares the same body as the C2 and M2, and you get both HA and a regulated LED instead of the regular P60/P61.

however if you wish to get a black C2 body, you could try asking jcciv if he has any for sale. if he doesn't, i recall oldgrandpajack had a black C2 for sale on b/s/t, and you could try asking jcciv if he would be interested in buying the LOTC, bezel, LA, etc. if all else fails, i do have a C2 sitting in the car glovebox which i could replace with my G2Z /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i'm not sure what kind of beam an M3T produces, but one of the more common complaints heard about the M3 is its rather oblong beam, on both the LOLA and HOLA (not so bad on the HOLA). the M3 was a little uncomfortable to hold in the syringe group due to it being front heavy, so i imagine the problem would be aggravated with the M3T. i don't deny the M3 and M3T are some of the best looking surefires though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i got to play with a 10X recently, and though its front heavy too, the 500lu lamp is seriously BRIGHT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

btw, i now only take surefire L5s as payment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

The bezel-end heavy depends on how strong your wrists I guess? You do get used to it - especially if you play racket sports or use a handgun.

The M4 is bezel-end heavy for me after 10-20 minutes use in the same grip...

Al

brightnorm

Flashaholic

The E2 series has the most grip-friendly knurling of all the Surefires I've used. I use the combat or "syringe" grip almost exclusively on my EDC lights (except LSH-P 2AA lith) and the L4 is so comfortably activated this way that I never miss the grip ring on SF combat style lights. Just this cool blustery evening I was wearing leather gloves and my L4 was so securely ensconced between 3rd and 4th fingers that it almost felt like a natural appendage. I still prefer the LOTC.

Brightnorm

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

My all-time favorite light for the most comfortable grip is the SureFire M3. It's also one of my all-time favorite lights, period! It feels so purrrfect in my hand! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

GeoffChan

Enlightened

My V70 is actually faces downward when i carry my 6Z. Its looks more "covert"

I like the M3 over my 6z, I find my hand cramps up when i use the M3T.

I asked Ken J Good about his setup and he actually carries his M3 & M3T in V70's.

Geoff

shrap

Enlightened

I've never been able to hold my E2e in "CombatGrip" mode, unless I turn the LOTC to constant-on first. That switch is just too much work to hold down.