Maglite Texture--Grenade Grip, or Knurling?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When it comes to handling the light I have no preference. The grenade grip does seem to be more grippy or at least potentially. I've never really found the original knurling to be slippery though.

Looks-wise? Oh the grenade grip for shor. Now the LX models have a tougher coating, so there's that too.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the frag grenade grip myself.. It could be that standard anodize (such as crimson red) didn't hold up very well on all the tiny nubs, worn fast on all the sharp edges and corners?
OD green finish with silver painted lettering. It must be a powder coat baked on paint because it's tough as nails. Pretty cool looking too, Imo

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can ask your local machinist to make your M*g standard body like this then anodize it any color you like.
It shore do luk purdy!

I don't know any local machinists, and while that pattern is pretty, it looks very uncomfortable. I'll just stick to the LX's, but thanks for the link to the photos.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never had one with grenade pattern, but have other than maglite flashlights with something similar, however as far as comfort, or grip, honestly don't see much of a difference, neither slips out. There is one light that feels very different, ylp unicorn, its knurling is deep and sharp, feels like a new coarse file.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I think perhaps Tony was trying to lure in old Maglite owners with this new style grip and hard coating.
IMG_9394.jpeg

It worked with me, anyway.
But it was more about style than performance, really. Battleship gray, forest green and stealth fighter black in a matte finish just have a more "tacti-cool look to them.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think perhaps Tony was trying to lure in old Maglite owners with this new style grip and hard coating.
View attachment 45525
It worked with me, anyway.
But it was more about style than performance, really. Battleship gray, forest green and stealth fighter black in a matte finish just have a more "tacti-cool look to them.
Wow! Things have progressed!

I recently got out a mint 90s AA MiniMag I ran across here to play with, and literally the first, spotaneous thought that hit my feeble brain was:

"OMG - this thing's slicker'n eel snot!!!!".

It has markings which resemble knurling, but it's purely cosmetic. It could only be held onto at all with just the right, pristine clean hands, and even then it does effectively nothing in actual use. It can barely be felt, really only seen. I'd practically have to use (clean) nitrile-coated gloves (etc.) to actually use it. In retrospect, I can't believe they were ever made this way. From a guy who I hear had a background in machining, 'that's incredible'.

I'm glad to see they've discovered actual knurling (of sorts) now.

Note: I've never owned or used a C/D Mag, so they might have been better (in this regard) back in the day.

The second thing I thought was: I have no Alk AAs to put in this. I did find one (1), which of course did me no good.

Then I remembered that the black Eneloops I have will NOT fit in this. Not even close.

The play period was delayed until I picked up some Alks :-(

I later held my nose, swallowed hard and bought a pack just so I could play with it.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The trick is to provide a grippy surface that does not snag when trying to deploy it from a holster. For years the conventional diamond shaped knurling meant a compromise between grip and slide. Gene Malkoff and others use non conventional knurling that is also a compromise but does work well. The Maglite grenade grip is another one of those ideas.

IMG_9536.jpeg

This is not one of those slip or grip ideas.

Latest posts