Maglite Texture--Grenade Grip, or Knurling?

LRJ88

Enlightened
How about no knurling, no grenade patterns or similar, just a perfectly smooth aluminium tube polished to near-mirror smoothness so it's a proper challenge to use the flashlight in anything but perfectly optimal conditions?

It might be all but useless, but it'd be hilarious seeing anyone attempt to use it in any setting and we all know that shiny useless things attract the mall ninjas.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about no knurling, no grenade patterns or similar, just a perfectly smooth aluminium tube polished to near-mirror smoothness so it's a proper challenge to use the flashlight in anything but perfectly optimal conditions?

It might be all but useless, but it'd be hilarious seeing anyone attempt to use it in any setting and we all know that shiny useless things attract the mall ninjas.
Mag has done smooth tubes before. Check out their 40th Anniversary model on their website. You have to "see all" products to display it.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Mag has done smooth tubes before. Check out their 40th Anniversary model on their website. You have to "see all" products to display it.
I didn't remember that one. This is quite neat overall, and it'd allow for putting grip tape etc. on it too, i've tried on my regular mags but the texture on them means the tape doesn't get full grip.

*edit* the image didn't work with the link. Also image shamelessly "borrowed" from http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2019/11/2019-40th-anniversary-ml300l-lights.html?m=1

IMG_5409.jpeg

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I can go either way. I don't mind the traditional knurling on vintage Maglites, but as for looks, I do like the grenade grip a lot. I particularly like it on this green ML50LX. I personally don't recall very many situations where things got slippery enough for the grip surface to really matter much, as far as hanging onto the light.

DSC_0105nx_01.JPG

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never held a Mag in my hand that I felt was sufficiently grip-able, although I've only tried the run of the mill versions, and there may be some which are better than what I've used. I've never grabbed one with the 'grenade grip', but would assume that it would likely be superior to those I've used. With respect to surface machining / finish, I consider aesthetics a non-factor, as I rarely 'look at' my lights. I typically grab and use them. If I can't do that effectively with wet, sweaty, oily, or otherwise compromised / less than pristine hands, I consider them deficient.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've found myself grabbing the grenade grip light more often than the conventional style. I think the deeper grooves matter as much as the shape of the islands around them. If they'd make the islands larger with deeper grooves I'd probably like the diamond shaped knurling more. But "grenade grip" just sounds so tacti-cool, like I'm carrying a weapon or something.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
^Funny thing is, grenades havne'nt looked like that in a hundred years. A modern "frag", as we called them is smooth as can be.
They are tactical though. :)
Yeah, they figured out that the texture had no effect on how the grenade fragmented, so now they are just smooth.