KX9-A Mini-Review

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased a KX9-A on the Marketplace and tonight I had a chance to try it out in the field. The first thing you should know it is big! Take an M3 bezel and add an inch. It is also heavy. I have mine mounted on an M3 tube with a Z48 switch. This fits nicely in an SF V40 holster, the one that was designed for what I believe was the 9AN. This version of holster fit it perfectly but SF holsters vary wildly in there sizing depending on design features (reinforced throat, open bottom end, flap length, etc.). The beam is a nice fat hotspot. It is on the green side and really lights up everything within 100m. This observation was made in an empty field near my home with lots of street lights and well lit houses. The beam is very close to what you would get with an Malkoff MD60 in a KT4 turbohead, right down to the green tint IMHO. I like the 500 lumens as it doesn't kill your vision with glare when sweeping the beam on near by non-reflective objects like the M6LT beam does. I am not a LEO but I cannot see mounting this on the end of a long gun. It is heavy and once you light it up everybody and their brother knows where your at.

I like it! It makes a great portable spot light. It definitely out shines my eyes ability to resolve distant objects. And it looks cool to boot. You can retrofit an M3/M6 for a lot cheaper with equal performance, but the KX9-A really brings the cool factor. If you can justify the expense, check it out!

kelmo

Last edited: