Surefire Shield Light

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Hi,

I recently bought two Surefire Shield Lights, made to be mounted on ballistic shields.

It's the Surefire 6SL and 9SL.

Reading trough the internet, i can't find much info about them. Can anyone here tell me about them?

Thanks!

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
I might have been wrong. I dont think any lights are named 9SL, but it seems like its 9SLA01 :D I even have two unopened bags stating: Part NO. 12216-41. Loose Equipment for the M39 Shield Mount system. :ironic:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice find! From their 1996 catalog. That´s all I ever heard about the shield lights.

sfsl1.jpg

sfsl2.jpg

Eric

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Thanks, yes these lights are really cool.

I have seen that catalog too, seems like the Shield Lights are very old.

I have seen a WTS for a 6s25 Shield Light, and the seller sold it for 600 $! I'm not gonna sell these Shield Lights, but seems like they are worth a lot?

RyeBread

Newly Enlightened
Someone I played airsoft had 4 surefires mounted on a shield their team built. They never used the lights during any games I was at, so I didn't notice if they were LEDs or incandescents like these. Not really too helpful to you, I'm sorry. :(

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The specs say that these are modified versions of the 6P, 9P, & 8X flashlights. So the 6S & 9S models would be using the standard P60/61 or P90/91 light assemblies. That would make them good candidates for a Malkoff! Or one could go to Lumens Factory and get their M-series XM L mini-turboheads if a little extra range is needed. I just went back and looked at that 96 catalog - boy, we've come a long way since then.

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Yupp, there are Stock 6Ps and 9Ps in the special Shield Light Mount system. However, the lights doesnt have the standard Z41 tailcap, but a really cool switch With both a tape switch and a very unusual switch i never have seen before. This switch takes about half of the tailcap, and you have to push it to either side to turn it off/on. Really cool tailcap.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
They didn't just make them in 1996, there have been different versions including the latest with hex bezel. I don't think they made any after around 2006/07, though I could be wrong.

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Yupp, realized that a couple days ago, haven't had the time opening the Mount system before, i opened it and it was pretty New Surefire 6P and 9P's inside there, With the newer logo.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I found some old batteries that came with a shield light. Two are dated 8/2016 and one is dated 6/2016 and strangely enough they are still sealed. Never seen that before, usually the batteries match dates in SF lights.. So I guess 2007 sounds like the last production year, I don't remember seeing any shield lights after that.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
They were never popular and pretty much marketed to government/LEO organizations. Google never finds anything on a lot of things that I know existed, I don't sweat it.