Vinhnguyen54 Modified Eagletac M3C4 flashlight with good results

offthetrail

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. I just wanted to share some good results of a flashlight modification done by vinhnguyen54.

I had a very early Eagletac M3C4 with the single XM-L T6 LED. I got bored with it after a few years and ordered a new revised head for the light from Eagletac that was supposed to be more lumens and driven harder with better throw. The head came in, and I was pleased with it. It was brighter with more throw and it had a much prettier beam without any artifacts like my original. ( I didn't have a lux meter at the time, but throw was supposed to go from 48k lux to 65k+ lux)
(Here is member Blue LED's results
M3C4 T6 41k Lux
M3C4 U2 63k Lux
My light meter under reads and is very similar to Selfbuilt's first meter. Therefore I would need to add a few thousand to my readings to achieve a more accurate reading.)

Fast forward till now. I read all of these threads about vinhnguyen54 modifying lights for people and turning them into throw monsters. I had my old original XM-L lead just sitting there not doing anything, so I sent it to him to see if he could modify it. For a very reasonable price he modified it and I am very happy with the results.

He took the original XM-L T6 out and put in a de-domed XM-L2 U2 and increased the current a little bit. I love the tint that the de-doming changed also since I am liking neutrals more and more now. He also tweaked the beam and got rid of all the artifacts that used to show originally. On my cheap lux meter measured at 5m and them converted to lux at 1m the revised Eagletac head shows 70k lux and the
vinhnguyen54 modified head shows right at 175k lux. It throws substantially further in the limited outdoor testing that I have done. This is quite a bit of throw out of a small reflectored relatively compact light.

I just wanted to thank
vinhnguyen54 and share the good results.:)

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that's some increase and a little more than I would have expected. Did he also increase the drive current and sit it on copper.

offthetrail

Newly Enlightened
I didn't get all the details of the mod. He said he increased the drive current but I am not sure how much or to what level. I am not sure about the copper base either.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would explain the higher than anticipated Lux.

It's a nice compact light. Mine is now a XM-L2 U2 and 73k Lux.

offthetrail

Newly Enlightened
I checked it several more times at 5m to make sure I got a good reading. 171k lux was the lowest reading I got. 174-175k lux was fairly consistent. I checked my other lights and my readings were all fairly close to what they should be based on other reviews.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Larger Wires, Touch up everything, Better thermal compound, Large Copper Base, Bump up current to the max the driver can take while keeping modes. :)