Solitaire is pretty durable!!

Hogosha

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I am also no big fan of the mag, I carry a E1E as my EDC. I have a photon on my keyring for other tasks also. Lately I have been carrying a solitaire in the right side Key pocket of my jeans, waiting for just the right mod. I have been using it as a general navigation light (I get aaa's for free) well it went through the washer AND dryer with apparently no ill effects!! Just thought I would share.

Defectfully
Patrick

kev1-1

Enlightened
Have you looked at an Arc AAA? I think it is tougher, and way brighter than the Mag! (Smaller to!)
smile.gif

SurefireM6

Enlightened
You can upgrade your E2e to the E2e, 4 times the light(equivelant to a 5D M*g) and get an ARC AAA, much brighter and smaller than the M*g solitaire.

poalcat

Newly Enlightened
The "beam" of Solitare is so feeble, so anemic, so wan that if it was compromised by going through the washer and dryer it would cease to exist at all.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not _that_ bad, when the battery is fresh. It's OK for brief use, and it is durable. But, why not get a Photon knockoff instead.

The Arc AAA and real Photon lights are nice, but $5 vs. $25-$40? Not really comparable in anything but size.

I mean, not that I don't have both and love 'em. Heck, I've given out several Arc AAAs as gifts for the very reason that most people wouldn't even consider buying a $20+ keychain light.

Well, here's hoping for eventual volume production of the nifty focusable single LED mod for the Solitaire I saw on another thread.

Hogosha

Newly Enlightened
As I said.....no big fan, but was surprised at the durability. I am planning on getting a arc AAA to go with my others. I have several of the keychain LED's Photon and princton tec, also some cheap chinese knock-offs I give out as gifts. BUT I still plan on modding this little Solitaire which was free and I feed for free. And FREE is my favorite color.

Defectfully
Patrick

nihraguk

Enlightened
Patrick: i had a black solitaire i used to carry on my keychain for a few years, and no matter how hard i've abused it or dropped it, it still works and i'm still on the original bulb. the flickering that sets in after a while is annoying though...no competition for my arc
smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Yup, you've got to get the AAA. You'll want to throw the Solitare away, or at least stash it somewhere never to see the light of day again.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Don't forget the lanyard..keep it, and take the reflector out, you may need it for a mod...actually the body makes a nice Christmas tree ornament!

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lanyard is the best part. I really like the design with the single crimp, so the loop near the flashlight has no metal (other than the ring, of course).

Forgot about the flicker, yeah...Mag never did come out with a good AAA design. The 2 AAA lights flicker too. I've given both of mine a good cleaning at that took care of it, but if I used them much I'm sure it would come back.

The 2AA design is SO much better.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a black Mag Solitaire on my keychain for over five years (and so does my wife). Well, it used to be black anyways. It's mostly silver now since most of the finish has worn off. It definitely isn't the latest and greatest in light technology, but it has served me well for quite a few years. About once a year I take it completely apart, lube the threads and o-rings, apply contact treatment to both contacts, replace the spare bulb if it is missing, and replace the battery whether it needs it or not. It doesn't get used a lot, but I know it will always be there with it's dim little light if I need it.

I do have an Arc AAA on the way from Berkeley Point, and depending how much it impresses me compared to the venerable old Solitaire, I may finally replace it on my keychain.

On the second keychain I have for the car I only drive once a week or so (has a large "sentry" key and security remote that I don't want to always have in my pocket) I have a Photon Micro Light, and I'll be replacing my wife's Solitaire with another Photon too. I don't know if they will take the abuse the little Mag does though.

In my book, the Solitaire gets five stars (out of five) for its durability, reliability, and value (what are they now, $5. ?), but two stars for its dim little light output.

-Keith

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I can't wait for a LED mod that fits that Solitaire. It will make it a good light, and it would be great if it keep the ability to focus the beam (which I know would be really hard to do, but we can dream). But for know my Solitaire will have to stay in my closet while I use my Arc AAA.

-Mike

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I have given away my three Solitaires because of their dim and quickly fading output, and I have yet to find a light that equals the ARC AAA in its class.

It has proven itself many times, and in some difficult situations. I often rotate my EDC's but the ARC is a permanent fixture on my keyring.

Brightnorm

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Hey! A Solit@ire is quite useful in the middle of the night when you don't want to kick anything on the way to the can...

That is once you wack it enough times to stop the flickering!

I wouldn't take for MY Arc AAA!!!