Milwaukee M18 Worklight Mod With Cree XML T6

pointedspider

Newly Enlightened
I have been wanting to mod one of these for a while now. It was an incandescent bulb at first with sorry light output.

I used an UltraFire C8 Flashlight for the mod. It had a Cree XML T6 LED and driver Circuit.

I took the flashlight apart and removed the driver circuit. Opened the Milwaukee light. There was a circuit board in there that I kept. A cell phone car charger works great as a voltage drop/voltage regulator circuit. These can operate from 10VDC to 30VDC and output 5VDC constant without resistors. Powers right off any power tool battery!

These can be as small as a quarter and output 2A! Great for this project!
I soldered the input on the cell phone charger to the switched output of the Milwaukee board and put it right behind the trigger switch.

I don't have a pic of it being there but that's where it is! Plenty of room in there. A little epoxy and that's done. Test the voltage now and it no longer outputs 18V, its a good 5.2V. I added a 1.2 Ohm, 5 watt resistor on the output of the cell phone board to drop the 5 volts to around 4 volts. Also no pic.Now lets get that LED in there!

I had to have a heatsink on the LED. I took an old aluminum heatsink and fitted it into half the head. I put the reflector in and observed the gapping between the reflector and heatsink. I used pop sickle sticks as spacers to get the heatsink closer to the reflector. Epoxied all that into only one side and tested again. Were good!

Put the reflector on and marked a rough circle where the LED would go. Put the head back together and marked a better circle.

Added some heat compound to the LED and heatsink and soldered the the wires to it.

The spacing between the reflector and heatsink was so close that when the reflector is screwed on, it actually holds the LED tight against the heatsink. I used the reflector from the flashlight and sandwiched it between the Milwaukee reflector and glass. That fit perfect and made the spot look nicer that with out it.

Here are a couple beam shots.

The Building was zoomed up on. That is probably 40-50 yards away! Very nice light out put.

I only have one setting, ON or OFF. The LED draws 1.1A at 4.3 volts. Thats 4.75 watts. It last all week long and some.

Very nice light! Way better that Milwaukee LED.

There it is, the Mulwaukee Cree LED mod.

JonwoN

Newly Enlightened
Hey pointedspider , I am going to attempt this mod , any suggestions or pointers. How is this mod holding up!>? thanks!!