Olight M Series with XM-L2 review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you were to ask me which light brands to keep an eye on (which I suppose you are asking in a way), I would definitely have to mention Olight as a part of that short list. More than simply keeping up to date with the latest LEDs, Olight has been re-imagining their light's user interfaces throughout their entire repertoire.

Olight M Series

Meat and Potatoes

The Olight M2(x) Warrior series is the heart and core staple of the Olight brand. These 2-cell duty lights seem to be some of their most popular models. Subsequently Olight has been releasing ever more variants of this series with updated LEDs. Powered by either a pair of CR123A cells or a single 18650; these latest models are housing Cree's latest output monsters, the XM-L2, sporting outputs of 550 lumens for the M20-XS and an even more impressive 750 lumens for the M21-X. These are situated behind smooth polished reflectors that are definitely more focused for throw than flood. Thankfully, the large die size, and impeccable quality of both reflector and LED help to keep the beam smooth and free from distracting artifacts.

Cree XM-L2′s

These lights both still support the standard 3 mode outputs that Olight has used since time unremembered. These modes have been improved in output and efficiency as well with low situated at 10/20 lumens (M20-XS/M21-X respectively) and medium modes splitting the differences at 110/320 lumens. Mode advancement has not changed from previous versions though. If you prefer to loosen/tighten the head to change outputs, the M21X is your poison. If you liked the tailcap mounted sideswitch for mode selection, the M20-XS still remains your torch of choice.

Both of these lights still use mode memory just as before, so on the surface not much has changed. The real magic comes in though with the inclusion of Olight's recent innovation in the way of mode shortcuts. Activating the light with a quick half-press before latching it on (two taps total) will automatically bring you to high mode. A pair of half presses before activation (three taps) dumps you unceremoniously into the strobe mode. In this way, Olight provides you with two easily accessible modes with nothing more than a twitch of your thumb. Strobe is also available on the M20-XS by simply holding the side switch directly from off.

Olight M Series

Fit and finish has never been lacking on the majority of Olight models I've had pass through my hands. They aren't necessarily the most complex machine work, or have the most amazing anodizing, nor even the flashiest lights, but they have a quality that is all their own. This latest round definitely caught my eye with their black coated stainless steel bezels. This isn't the first time I've seen this treatment on their bezels, but it definitely isn't their usual silver bezels.

Both of these lights came to me in premium packaging that has become increasingly popular lately. High quality plastic cases with cutout foam inserts replace the standard clamshell retail packaging. They are also loaded with a number of excellent extras. Each has a beam diffuser bezel cover that does a remarkable job of spreading the light out across a much broader swath. I'm sure this comes at a fair expense when it comes to pure output or efficiency, but the effect is remarkable for improving short-range lighting. Also included are both a wrist lanyard and a holster. Lanyards have rarely been something I bother with on my lights, but holsters are of particular interest to me. Olight's idea of a holster though is definitely…unique. Its the same holster that I have complained about in the past, though I think I have gotten a little more used to it.

Premium Packaging

Constructive Criticism

Power regulation on the M21-X is accomplished through Olight's excellent current regulation, but the M20-XS however suffers from PWM-itis. I would definitely prefer this to be otherwise, but I've heard rumors that it has to do with something regarding the tailcap mode selection switch. Unfortunately I am in the dark enough about this that I simply have to accept this information at face value. I am a big fan of current regulation because of the lack of a flickery beam and the boost in efficiency in the lowest modes. This torch however does temper my frustration by using a high enough frequency that the PWM is only visible when you are specifically looking for it.

Grip retention options have long been one of Olight's best features. Lanyards, clips and cigar rings have been included options in the Olight M series for as long as I've been seeing them. Once again though this cigar ring comes under my critique by being manufactured from relatively sharp edged metal, rather than a softer, more useable rubber. This time however, unlike previous, Olight does not include a smooth ring replacement if you choose to remove this ring. Instead you have to deal with an exposed o-ring and remove the clip that is retained by said ring. I suspect that a smooth filler ring could possibly still be acquired from Olight as an optional accessory, but it would be nice to have the option included in the deluxe set to begin with.

Conclusions

Nothing has been taken away by these changes to the LED and UI, but quite a bit of usability and power has been added. If you were at all fond of these lights in previous iterations, you are really going to love them this generation.

Olight M Series

Provided for review by the kind folks at Going Gear.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. I had the XP-G R5 version of the M20S and it was a solid light. I traded it away because of the annoying PWM, but might try the new M21X if a smooth grip ring becomes available.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really didn't see too much of the PWM. I did notice it, but I have a tendency to look specifically for it right off the bat. It wasn't terribly distracting. I definitely prefer the 20 lumen low of the M21-X though. They're both solid carry lights.