Any laws against bringing LED lights into Canada?

Student99

Newly Enlightened
Can I bring/carry LED flashlight into Vancouver BC coming from WA state?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flying or driving, most flashlights are aloud. I typically don't bring my lithium rechargeable batteries and flashlights in a carry on (paranoia don't want to have em taken away) in your luggage it'd be fine

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flying or driving, most flashlights are aloud. I typically don't bring my lithium rechargeable batteries and flashlights in a carry on (paranoia don't want to have em taken away) in your luggage it'd be fine

That's interesting. (and this is heading slightly off topic) In Australia the rules are the opposite. I have to carry my Li-Ions in my hand luggage, they're not allowed in checked luggage.

Theron

Newly Enlightened
I think it's carry-on only in the US and most of Asia. I think you are allowed to have the batteries within the devices and one spare. I am not sure if it is one spare per device or one spare in total though.

That said, I got through security four times on my recent trip with five flashlights full of lithium-ion batteries, eight spare 18650s, 12 Eneloop XXs, 10 CR123As, two chargers and two 18,000mAh power packs. Only once was my bag checked by hand after going through the scanner. The guy called over his superior to have a look. His superior said he was good with it and they let me go on my way.

I did have a woman officer ask if the Quantum D2 around my neck was a bullet as well. Everyone had a good laugh then.

It's the knives and tools that need to be in check-in.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Canada, & laws against led's just sparked a remix of red barchetta in my head, "before the lumen law" etc.

aau007

Enlightened
I think you guys are all off topic. OP asked about bringing/carrying LED flashlights from WA, US to BC, CA. Never mentioned anything about any kind of batteries.

Carrying for personal use, I don't see any problem. If you are trying to bring in hundreds of them, you might run into import and taxation issue. I guess if you bring in HDS, which is made in USA, then NAFTA may apply but if you bring in boxes and boxes of Chinese flashlights, you are going to have a tax/import issue.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Wow.... what a helpful and pleasant answer. :huh: .. :confused: .. :shakehead

Yeah, he'll be pretty miffed when he reads this next year. It's a strange question though, if they allow you to drive your car into the country, then they're probably not too worried aboot flashlights, eh..

EPVQ30

Newly Enlightened
i have traveled to italy, france, spain, puerto rico, and venezuela in the past 2 years. i carry both a 2XCR123 and a 1XCR123 plus some spare batteries in my carryon. never had an issue in any of my travels. of course my edc spyderco and kershaw go in the belly of the plane inside a pair of rolled up sox.

EPVQ30

Newly Enlightened
Posts lost in the crash were over a very limited period. Back to the topic at hand - Norm
couldn't help but to notice your avatar mr. nikola tesla.. i just did some research on him last week after seeing so many teslas on the road here in Boston.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
At least I answered the question..

ibvxWrpFaJj9Ak.gif