MAGLITE, M*glite?, MAGLITE!!!!!

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
Just say it already!

Enough with the silly astrics and spelling variations. There's absolutly NO legal reason to not say Maglite, and unless you really have a MAJOR issue with the company, just say the name! When people make up fictitious and erroneous spellings, it makes it IMPOSSIBLE to make use of the Search function with any reasonable results. If I need to search for a Maglite topic, I'm not gonna want to take the time to do 20 different searches with all the spelling variations.

Please, even if you hate 'em, just say Maglite.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Thanks Plinko
icon14.gif

Now there was that post about some company giving away a Mag-Lite like light. That IS what the web page said "Mag-Lite like". Am I correct that they can get into trouble for that?
Then again if they said "2 AA aluminium flashlight" they might get into trouble with mag-lite
shocked.gif
icon15.gif

nihraguk

Enlightened
plinko: the most common reason members here despise maglite is because it decided to take legal action against one of our favourite torch manufacturers, which is quite ridiculous since maglite has no real case against them. having said that, i still spell maglite as maglite
smile.gif

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I, to say the least, strongly disapprove of Mag doing anything against that mfgr., I just can't get into the spirit of munging the name for spite. I like the lights too much (playing with a cyan inretech in a jade mini right now).

Then again, mag is mentioned so much that I wonder what use a search would be anyway.

Also, anyone else miffed about how damn slow that search is? Haven't seen the likes of that since the days of 1mhz 8-bit processors.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, the true value of M@#$%^e's is that you can put your own guts in them to make them great.

Thanks.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
'tis a somewhat still 'Free' country.

As such, and since I got a rather snotty email from them, I shall not spell out M*gl!te

If a vast majority would like to settle on something like Gag, or M*g I may join in.

Skyline

Enlightened
Originally posted by radellaf:
Also, anyone else miffed about how damn slow that search is? Haven't seen the likes of that since the days of 1mhz 8-bit processors.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah... I've been secretly hoping CPF would get upgraded to vBulletin for quite some time. A number of forums in which I participate (NASIOC, Off-Topic, BladeForums, Head-Fi, Autopia) have a lot of members and switched from Infopop UBB to vBulletin with really great results. Features and performance is a lot better.

I'm not complaining though.
smile.gif

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a bad cold right now and don't really feel like typing up anything new, so here is a copy of something that I posted on another thread on the subject, with a little extra thrown in:

I've been saying for a while now that the misspelling of Mag-Lite is really getting way out of hand and is doing more to harm CPF members than it ever would to hurt Mag-Lite Inc. If Mag is willing to sue over anything, I would be more inclined to believe that they would be more willing to sue over the defacement of their brand name than the proper use of it. [Note: This was said because some people feel that we are in danger of being sued by Mag Inc. just for properly using their trademarked name on the board]. I, like most people here, thought it was kind of funny at first, but now it is just getting to be a real hindrance to efficient communication. I mean, come on guys, some of the misspellings are so off that I have to really stop and think about it to even figure out what light is being referred to. E. G. – CrapLite, FagLight, M*g*I*t*, **g****.

With that being said, I totally agree with Plinko that it is now very difficult to search for new Mag mods because of the whole misspelling thing. I would also like to say that I'm as mad about this juggernaut of a corporation trying to stamp out all of it's competition by using armies of lawyers (Microsoft style) as any of you are, but by misspelling the name, we are only hurting CPF members that are trying to find info on the latest mods. I can tell you right now that Mag could care less how we spell their name on our message board because they are such a huge corporate entity that they probably don't even know (nor care) that we even exist, much less care whether people here are mad enough to misspell their name. All I'm really trying to get at here is that we are cutting off our noses to spite our face in this particular form of protest.

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
"'tis a somewhat still 'Free' country."

No one here is trying to FORCE you to do anything that you don't want to do. I don't have the right nor the inclination to do such a thing. We're just asking people to CHOOSE to do differently because it is for the greater benefit of our fellow CPF members. The suits at Mag Inc. could care less how you or anyone else spell Mag because they probably don't even know, nor care, that you even exist because they are such a huge, no caring corporation. You are accomplishing nothing against Mag by misspelling their name, but you are making life a little bit harder for people trying to use the search facilities of the forum.

There are other, more effective, ways of protesting and/or showing your disdain for Mag and their despicable business practices. If you like, put something derogatory toward them in your signature line. That would let everyone know that you are protesting them with every post that you make, but it would not serve to hamper the search facilities of the forum.

These are all merely suggestions to try to make the forum more useful, but you are correct, there is still a little bit of freedom of speech left in this country and I would never wish to contribute to the ever growing problem of censorship in this country and in the world, so choose to do as you wish. I'm just trying to help make things a little bit easier for our fellow foromites.

I think I will go take a nap now and see if I can shake this cold. Good wishes to all and I hope I've not made anyone too angry with me by posting this viewpoint.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Skyline:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by radellaf:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah... I've been secretly hoping CPF would get upgraded to vBulletin for quite some time. A number of forums in which I participate (NASIOC, Off-Topic, BladeForums, Head-Fi, Autopia) have a lot of members and switched from Infopop UBB to vBulletin with really great results. Features and performance is a lot better.

I'm not complaining though.
smile.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Its also the network, Sapphire [Slammer] worm and all. I just pinged the forums and got an average of a 92ms return. This is over 4 times slower than usual. Its Code Red all over again.
icon8.gif

Dan

Tombeis

Enlightened
One: Who would really want to do a search for "new" information about an obsolete product.

And two: This thread truly demonstrates the meaning of "FUBAR."

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
Tom,

One: Members here routinely use the Maglite body for a base when making a flashlight modification.

And two: Seems that you're post truly demonstrates that you evidently don't know the meaning of FUBAR. It's been my experience that jarheads say FUBAR, or some equally-profound expletive when they have nothing else productive to add to the conversation.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have spelt it as M*glite all the time. Other's had variations such as M@glite or M*gl*te.. but I feel that one * would be good enough.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Totally agree on that the misspelling

</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">does CPF no good</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">does Maglite no bad</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So what the f*ck
Klaus

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The really funny thing is that ppl spelt it this way so that it's harder to find stuff on M*gs.... Lol! Seems that it worked too well....
tongue.gif