SureFire Rumor

emann

Newly Enlightened
I keep reading at various websites that SureFire is going to start selling direct only and cut out the middleman places such as Tactical Warehouse, Bulldog, etc. Is there any truth to this rumor?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
You heard it from the dealers themselves. They were planning on doing this some time back, looks like it's finally going to happen. As I understand, dealers that have store fronts (brick and mortar shops) are allowed to sell but not through their online channels. At least that's what one of the dealers told me.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes and No. Surefire will sell direct, all other sales will be through brick and mortar dealers. Do a search over the last eight weeks, this has gotten quite a bit of discussion here.

GregR

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess they believe they are beyond second guessing and consumer wrath. Of course I live near TAD in the east bay and could purchase Surefire products there. I've been carrying my L4 for a bit now and between it and my previous one have found Surefire HA finish to be no match for my pants pockets which I have been clipping them to.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
surefire cut out wholesalers last year. I have an account with a major Police/Public safety supply house. They used to stock almost everything Surefire. Now they won't order anything.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sincerely think they are cutting their own throat.

Many cringe at the price now, this can only make the products more expensive, and much less commonly available to the buying public.

I do NOT think they can survive selling only to the elite special forces, and SWAT teams, as so often mentioned here.

SableCo

Newly Enlightened
This is no rumor. We sold over $80,000 worth of Surefire products this year. We just got our new dealer agreement letter which basically tells us to go take a hike. We will expand our lines of Maglite, Streamlight, and Insight Technologies. We will also look at adding other brands. What else would you like us to carry? We appreciate any input from the members here. Thanks!

Link removed to comply with CPF advertising policies. Contact [email protected] for advertisment arrangements. - Empath

Size15's

Flashaholic
I guess that SureFire made their decision without looking at their situation very carefully.

I'm moving this thread to the Cafe.

Al

Blikbok

Enlightened
This sounds very similar to what other companies in other industries are doing: attempting to get the product into more brick-and-mortar stores, and increase market share.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
yes, but you will need to drive there and walk in to buy something ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
bernhard

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Blikbok said:
This sounds very similar to what other companies in other industries are doing: attempting to get the product into more brick-and-mortar stores, and increase market share.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how market share is increased by gutting online sales.

Brightnorm

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will SureFire be introducing/enforcing any new pricing policies when this change takes effect? Will the dealers still be able to offer discounts from SureFire's MSRP?

Does anyone know if Dan or Howard have commented here @ CPF about this upcoming policy change?

Peter

DanM

Newly Enlightened
Today I got the itch to look at a M6. Only one store in my
area had one, and they wanted 389.00 same as the surefire
site. Bulldog wants 275.00 good price good company. Looks
to me like unless you have a competitive dealer near by
other flashlight vendors will get my dollars.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can we call TW or Bulldog and buy Surefires? Arc is doing the same thing so I will keep watch and see how it plays out.
It does sound like a good opportunity for Pelican and Streamlight, hopefully they will take advantage of the situation and produce some interesting LED lights.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
It would be a real shame if Surefire also raises their battery prices and we go back to the expensive bad old days. Maybe we should fill our closets with 123s while we still have the chance (just kidding, I hope).

Brightnorm