Something of a WWII era oddity.

i r n00bz0r

Newly Enlightened
Hello, if you haven't read my introductory post, you can find it in the Introduction forum!

Anyway, I was recently in a local marine supply/oddities shop and I came across an assortment of incandescent bulbs (they had bought an old warehouse, complete with contents) that struck me as odd. I had to have them (and do). After further research, I've found that they are from the WWII era, and used exclusively during that era in airplane headlights. Mind you, these aren't sealed beams, they're bulbs. Anyway they came with the original packaging and here's some information:

Volts: 12
Watts: 420
Shape: G-25
Filament: C-2
Base: Mog. Pf. (Mogul Prefocus)
Base Down Or Horiz. (Burn position)
Code: 420G25P-12V

Now, 420w at 12v is 35a, and that's incredible! The filament is just….huge. Anyway my thought is, I have a few of these, so if anyone is interested in doing a neat (albeit odd) build of some type of light with one of these, I will seriously send it to you out of my own pocket (read: free to you) with the stipulation that you post at least the result (but preferably some in-process pictures) of your efforts. I know this is an odd proposition, but hey, It's an odd thing to find, and I'm really interested in seeing one of these put to good use (I've already donated one to the Museum of Flight in Boeing Airfield, Seattle). So if you're interested, and have the means to devise and build something out of this, go ahead and take it! It's also worth noting that I have researched Mogul Prefocus bases, and they're in the $50 range to buy online, so that's a bare minimum expense already. I've also tested one of them, and they do light up pretty dang bright off a 12v power source (deep cycle marine battery) but I have no idea how long these last, their actual luminous flux, or where you could get more. They are part of the GE Mazda line, which the name was dropped in 1945 so there's that.

Thanks for reading,
i r n00bz0r

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello i r, :welcome:
If you have the means to post pics, I'm thinking that folks would like to see what these bulbs look like. :)

pics would be nice!
new flashlight!
so bright it attracts aliens rather than insects.
2 hour runtime on a battery with a 12 hour recharge time.
wheelbarrow and asbestos gloves not included.