does anyone have an opinion on this headlamp?

Szemhazai

Enlightened
450-500 lumens for 1,5-2h - for night running in the forest, trail running, etc the best headlamp in category price/lumen output.

Rexlion

Enlightened
Looks nice, but probably won't work nicely (or not for long anyway).

borrower

Enlightened
Looks like a nice-ish form factor... I'd personally be bothered by the switch on the back of the lamp housing, as it seems like that might be awkward. Weight (if accurate at 188g) will be fairly high when loaded with batteries. I'm also a little suspicious of how durable the angle setting would be.

I'd say it's a good mod candidate if you put a normal 3-4 mode driver in.

Let us know if you get one.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Switch is on light head in front.

Hey two 18650's! They must have been reading this forum! They were cheap; I need to save my money to buy more fasttech panasonic 3400's; so, I bought two. It was easy to unscrew the battery compartment and glue/solder inline a variable resistor (25 ohm 3 watt rheostat from Radio shack $3.95 or so.) Now I can get any drive level I wish, down to 12 milliamps. My added dimmer, though, is on rear--which is fine with me.

My first thought on first one was that, while the xml head is bigger, this was easily offset by the forehead plastic supporting piece. As the fourth bike xml headlamp for me, this one was extremely comfortable to wear--unlike the other first three brands of xml headlamps.

They seem to average about 1.6 amps on high (using heavy gauge test leads, and 4.19 volt off charger. 1.9 amp is the highest I have measured) and 300 or 350 milliamps (don't recall) pwm on low--with new cells (but as voltage drops, so does output/current, making the rheostat work fine). So for me, too high on high, and too low on low.

All in all, it seems to me the go to light for most tasks, for compact size and output. Not quite as good on colors as the hp11, nor throwy (about 3/5 throw per watt), but with the battery format, we now can afford more current in one day of usage.

They don't spec out ar glass, but I don't see much loss there. (the lens screws off for pure flood. But comparing to hp25, same lux at same current, just half the lumens make it out the head.)

The second one I bought, has bigger hotspot than first (same lux in center-just less uniform center; same lux in corona) and on the second light, they skimped on elastic-making wearing it for about 50 needed to stretch it out before it didn't feel too tight.

Obviously, don't buy it for wet use. Don't use unprotected or no-name brand cells. It surprisingly uses silicone to protect head from any possible flames. (Silicone is a good insulator and melts at 2400 degrees F. )

I get about 5350 lux,\-err., I mean candela- at 700 milliamps to led. (The hp11 would get 7800, the hp25 is 5700 candela at 600 + milliamps). So, compared to hp25 on high, the hp25 feels like you have tunnel vision, with about same fovia stimulation. (The hp25 flood is great, but not good for more than a few feet.) Comparing with hp11 on 9 hour (130 lumen) you only feel like this is about a %25 improvement (but using more than double the juice). Comparing with hp11 on turbo, the hp11 feels much brighter, but approximately same output to this light in lumen terms. Naturally, I am limiting at 700 milliamps for 8+hours of use off two 18650s. You can get over 10k candela by opening resistor wide open-with short runtime. Again, color rendering is okay-nearly the best of any of my xml lights-, but worse than the Fenix BT20's t6, and worse than any of my xpg's. The led star says U2 on it on both lights, but I do not know if this is just something they print on all cree stars, or if this is a switcheroo. I don't care too much as the led demonstrates competant output and color rendering-housed in a good reflector/heatsinked/glass lens setup.

The wires to head seem thin, but do have the curly flexible shape. The led is house so that it would be easy to replace when something better comes around.

Were I camper on biker, regularly relying on this light, I would heavily modify to make it rain resistant. And carry special bag and cheap waterproof alternative for deluge times. The driver in the non water proof batter compartment will short easily and burn out, so only touch the pole going to charger when adding a rheostat.

I would stay away from the other sku of this light for $27 that comes with batteries and charger. Since these 18650 are really only 700 milliamp-hour and I wouldn't trust the charger.

Beware, the kaidomain 3 t6 xml headlamp that claims 2000+lumens is dimmer than this light--and far worse color rendering. (I couldn't help myself on three xml headlamp.) Dx.com had a single 18650 xpg dual flood + throw, that turned out to be a rip off (burned out in 10 minutes of use), not even an xpg at all (xpe) and flood was a 50 lpw purple, overdriven zongshen led. My other dx xml u2 bike light has much worse color rendering than this one, and batteries that come with it are junk.

Also, if you modify your non constant current contoller by adding a dimmer (to better control runtime), I would recommend using your amp meter to train yourself how to dim (how a fraction of a tweak can lower current). For ex., a slight tweak can drastically lower current; so, two slight pressure tweaks and slight dimming will half the current to 700 m.a. from 1.6. While this will make one miss the constant current driver for better control, this method is probably better subjective control for putting out as much light as one needs. My emotional connection is still with a constant current driver. However, to my lux meter and eye, this light's controller + var. resistor is more efficient than the 700 ma buckpuck. A constant 700 ma is idiot proof, though.

Last edited:

Yorgi

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these. It's my only 18650 powered headlamp and the most powerful I own by far. (my others are an Olight H15, Fenix HL21, Zebralight H502w) I use this when cycling in dark areas where I need enough power to see where I'm going (vs a light more for safety in urban areas) I also use it when cutting the lawn in the fall when it gets dark by 5pm. Overall a very good value and good enough quality to be used on a regular basis. One of my better budget pieces.

Even though the lamp head is large it's quite comfortable to wear with the broad plastic frame which distributes the weight. The silicon plastic battery cover is also nice and soft against the back of your head. Like mentioned above, use quality protected 18650s in headlamps and keep them charged; you don't want a li-ion battery cooking off right beside your noggin.

Quality-wise this unit is better than your average DX/fasttech piece but not up to Fenix standards. Switch is great, lens is glass but rattles, lamp unit is open to vent heat so not waterproof at all. Mine has a nice hot spot and good spill too.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quality-wise this unit is better than your average DX/fasttech piece but not up to Fenix standards. Switch is great, lens is glass but rattles, lamp unit is open to vent heat so not waterproof at all. Mine has a nice hot spot and good spill too.
All true.The heat ring holding the lens easily unscrews. My light has two glow in the dark o rings holding in the glass lens (cool!). My first light that I received had perfect spacing and the glass didn't rattle (and this light has a slightly smaller hotspot). But the second light, it looks like they used a slightly shallower reflector, which is a half millimeter too small for housing. So, I unscrewed this heat ring and added two tiny strips of duct tape to tippy end of reflector to push it closer to the led and eliminate this rattle.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also noticed someone invented a plastic centering ring that goes immediately around the led. This ring forces the reflector to perfectly center the hotspot. This ring seems to be used on the cheap lights of last purchasing round. Hopefully, gone are the days of uncentered hotspots, which was common in my cheap 2008 buys.

Last edited:

buwuve

Newly Enlightened
I would stay away from the other sku of this light for $27 that comes with batteries and charger. Since these 18650 are really only 700 milliamp-hour and I wouldn't trust the charger.
I bought the headlamp from another store a few months ago with only the direct-headlamp charger (not with the Ultrafire 18650 and the wallcharger). It was a package and the shop doesn't offer it without it. I use the charger only two times to charge my 18650 directly in the headlamp - it take a long time and stoppen at 4,19V.
I prefer my XTAR WP2 II and and WP2s to charge 18650.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the headlamp from another store a few months ago with only the direct-headlamp charger (not with the Ultrafire 18650 and the wallcharger). It was a package and the shop doesn't offer it without it. I use the charger only two times to charge my 18650 directly in the headlamp - it take a long time and stoppen at 4,19V.
I prefer my XTAR WP2 II and and WP2s to charge 18650.

Good, cause I just bought a XTAR WP2 II, but haven't unpacked it. I didn't try the charger in the light (or the wall charger), as I didn't feel the risk was worth it. But the ultrafire cells that came with the light (I have used three times) never ceased to amaze me on the low capacity. They may be worth carrying around for an extra hour of 600 millamps (combined), or maybe the risk is too high (though they claim to be protected). If they lie so badly on capacity, I don't trust the protection.

I think I, we, forgot to mention there is a 5 mm led in the battery case so you don't get run down by cars when biking. Since I have nearly taken out darkly clad kids who walked on side of road in the neighborhood near dusk, I am a big proponent of both high visibility and reflective tape on back and sides of all lights. Putting such into shoes of all kids (including teens) is a great idea. As much as the idea of taking them out for the bonus points is tempting, the insurance end of things gets messy.

Last edited:

wild bill

Newly Enlightened
I am using the NiteCore Intellicharger i4 that I got for $20 shipped on ebay - works great on my Panasonic 18650's

it charges all of these:
Li-ion: 26650, 22650, 18650, 17670, 18490, 17500, 17335, 16340(RCR123), 14500, 10440
Ni-MH / Ni-Cd: AA, AAA, C

buwuve

Newly Enlightened
I like the battery and charger reviews of HKJ (he is a member here and in many other flashlightsforums). He tested a lot of chargers and you will get a lot of information in his reviews.
If you want to use the cheap batteries: Use a single 18650 flashlight (or only one battery in the headlight) - never more in a series connection. You notice it very well, if the light become dimmer. I use a lot of unprotected Samsung batteries and notice it really easy, if the voltage goes under 3,4V.
I don't use Ultrafire batteries, because I get better unprotected of a laptop battery pack, bought some new Samsung 2600mAh unprotected and if I need protected I use my XTAR, Enerpower or Keeppower batteries.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found if I removed centering ring around the led, I could perhaps increase the throw by moving the led deeper into the reflector. Your mileage may vary.

I did a 13 hour runtime test and charted results. This, naturally, used my added variable resistor to the fasttech controller, limiting the starting current to 700 milliamps (350 ma per cell). Naturally, since any runtime below 8 hours doesn't work as a job site light.

I figured out charting on Open Office, but not how to insert the charts in to the forum. So, I am sharing the pdf.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByvnKHNhvrTmZWw3Vlh6SFp3Q2c/edit?usp=sharing

I am pretty certain I am a bit wrong in assuming the xml2 would make a difference, in my conclusion. It really is about how the panasonic 3400s work under a milliamp load.

Since I am interested in "rules of thumb", and not superprecision, I am sure the lux readings are imprecise, and my volt meter is cheap (but leads are expensive). Neither did I really account for the 1 minute out of commission that testing the voltage would take away from runtime each measure. And, I got bored around 13 hours (short attention span, I guess), so abandoned my periodic measurements. At 13 hours I was down to 1700 lux (without opening up resistor). 1700 candela is nearing eye strain at arm length range for a painter because it is sub par when viewing walls at 45 degree angles. Still, in theory, 1000 candela is bare minimum for arm length work for painting; however the eye can see a big difference between 1k and 2k at arm length, but not between 2k and 4k. You need 4x that lux for ideal candela over 2x arm length; this is yet beyond my ambition, as this level is still not practical to do over 8+ hours of runtime. I do know glare kicks in at 14k candela per headlamp tests, so I doubt 8k candela would hurt, neither have I seen glare. Softer flooding is better to see ghosts, but not skips, streaks, texture or runs.

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
Almost looks like you can turn the headlamp on and off
by head butting any available wall.
Gently so it does not crack the thing of course.

If it does click on/off like that would it be the first totally hands free UI?
Very clever if they wanted it to work that way and if they did
they must be Candlepower fans.

Tete

Newly Enlightened
So far I've ordered 3 just like this one from Ebay. They all have had XM-L2 instead of the pictured 1st generation one! And for about $9 each, I have no complaints, although it would be nicer to have for example 3 brightness modes, instead of two + strobe. So far, I haven't used them so much, so durability is yet to be seen...:ironic:

Tete

Newly Enlightened
So far I've ordered 3 just like this one from Ebay. They all have had XM-L2 instead of the pictured 1st generation one! And for about $9 each, I have no complaints, although it would be nicer to have for example 3 brightness modes, instead of two + strobe. So far, I haven't used them so much, so durability is yet to be seen...

PLEASE DELETE THIS SECOND POST, I SEEM TO BE UNABLE TO...

Last edited: