Surefire UB3T or Olight SR95?

tonkem

Enlightened
I understand the difference in size and battery, but from a practical use scenario, which is more useful, in your opinion and why...

Thanks for your feedback.

FYI, I have several flood lights, (Zebralight S6330, Lupine Betty TLS, Lupine Wilma TL, Piko X Duo head lamp) so I know these will both throw well. I am leaning toward the Surefire for the CR123 option and it being a much smaller light, but am open to hear others' opinions.

I would be using the light for walks(like everybody) vacation in the woods, wow factor, etc.

Thanks again.

rje58

Enlightened
For walks? Really? Wow factor I get, but you're gonna carry 9 inches / 12 oz. + batteries (Surefire) or 12 inches / 2+ lbs (Olight) on a "walk"?

I guess you're making sure to get your exercise, just carrying them! :)

tonkem

Enlightened
Yep. I usually carry the Lupines, but sometimes I cannot see that extra distance :) Which light would you suggest and why? Forgetting that Walks is a reason as also because I want a light for a bit more throw. What are the benefits to the Olight versus the Surefire and vice versa?

Patriot

Flashaholic
If "a bit more throw" is one of the primary goals, why such a drastic jump all the way up to the SR95? Have you considered the newest TK75 for example?

rje58

Enlightened
That's the point I was trying to make with my failed attempt at humor - there are a LOT of good quality, smaller, lighter, less expensive throwers than those two... not to say that they are not good lights, but they seem to be more specialized lights that most of the other options.

If "a bit more throw" is one of the primary goals, why such a drastic jump all the way up to the SR95? Have you considered the newest TK75 for example?

Last edited:

tonkem

Enlightened
Actually, I am partial to Surefire, and it would be a bit of a leap to consider the Olight, as I had one in the past and I felt it was not up to par to Surefires' quality, but I don't want this thread to be about quality, etc. Just looking for opinions of actual owners of these 2 :)

tonkem

Enlightened

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not a fan of Fenix lights. Nothing personal, just don't like the interface, etc.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not a fan of Fenix lights. Nothing personal, just don't like the interface, etc.

Yeah, no problem. Why don't you tell us which brands you like and then people might be able give you suggestions for lights that throw a little better than the UB3T. I'm afraid any description comparing the two is going to be appropriately generic.....'one is relatively big & heavy with a fat grip, one's not, one throws way further, one uses propriety batteries, etc. I have a UB3T and SR90 and have handled the SR95 & UTs, and they'd probably be some of the last lights I'd ever think of comparing.

tonkem

Enlightened
Yeah, no problem. Why don't you tell us which brands you like and then people might be able give you suggestions for lights that throw a little better than the UB3T. I'm afraid any description comparing the two is going to be appropriately generic.....'one is relatively big & heavy with a fat grip, one's not, one throws way further, one uses propriety batteries, etc. I have a UB3T and SR90 and have handled the SR95 & UTs, and they'd probably be some of the last lights I'd ever think of comparing.

I like surefires :) I guess what I am really wanting to know is how does the throw compare between the UB3T and the Sr lights?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any first-hand experience with using the Olights but I did check out one of them (SR90 maybe?) when I got to visit the GoingGear store early last year. It was HUGE.

Based on their specifications and what I've seen online, the Olights would absolutely kill the UB3T with regard to throw. The SR90 on low is roughly equivalent to the UB3T on high. You can get a hint of the carnage by checking out Marshall's videos from his flashlight comparisons.

Olight SR90
Olight SR95
SureFire UB3T

Like Patriot said, it doesn't seem like there is a lot of common ground between these lights for comparison. It's a lot like comparing a SureFire 6PX to the M6LT.

tonkem

Enlightened
Yeah. I watched all the videos. In his throw comparison videos in the field, it just "looked" similar. I know the lights are very different. I am trying to decide if I even want a thrower light since I seem to use the floody beams of my lupines most and that causes me to support a proprietary battery system. At least with the surefire it would be 123 batteries or 17500, if I wanted to go that route.

I have the p2x fury and like the beam and distance, but just seem to have the throw bug. I had a Jetbeam m1x a few years ago with the mc-e emitter and also had a Polarion PH40 but the sheer size of both of those lights made them much more of a "wow" light than very practical. I think I should keep it simple and stick to the smaller lights like the p3x/p2x for the high output on 123 batteries rather than supporting another battery with the olights.

Thanks for all the input.

Decisions - decisions. :)

FPSRelic

Enlightened
If you wanted to compare apples with apples, you would do well to compare the UB3T Invictus with the Olight M3X XM-L2 Triton. From the looks of things, the Triton would out throw the UB3T, uses the newer XML2 LED, and has the ability to work with 4 CR123A's or 2 18650's, but the UB3T has more modes and a different UI.

The Olight looks like it wins out on throw and features, but personally I haven't used one, and I drink from the Surefire Kool Aid also, and I do like the fact that the Surefire has lower modes.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never used an Olight but I do have a UB3T. It's really pretty light weight and other than the head is skinny enough to carry in a pocket. I use mine for walks and I don't think anyone would have trouble with the weight. The interface is simple and the low levels are so low you can use it in moonlight without ruining your night vision. The only downsides for me are the absurd cost (but they're getting cheaper on the used market) and the early models like mine don't have much spill.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Haven't seen this anywhere else:

Receive 50% off surefire.com orders for these products:
UBR-A-BK, UNR-A-BK, 2211-A-BK, M6LT, M3LT-S, K2MS-BK, and U2-BK-WH flashlights; all SureFire water bottles; SC3 Battery Spares Carrier; HellFighter T-shirts. Receive 15% off SureFire batteries in 12-pack and 72-pack.

Offer valid only for purchases made on the Surefire website. Cannot be used or combined with any other discounts or offers. Qualifying orders must be placed Thursday, November 28, between 8:00 PM EST and 11:59 PM EST. No phone or dealer orders. Offer valid for residents of continental U.S. only. Enter promo code thanks50 on your shopping cart page to receive discounts.

$692 list price less 50% = $346, lowest price I've seen for the Invictus.

Google Surefire gifts for men & women

Last edited:

dbleznak

Enlightened
The Invictus is an amazing light, with a TIR that throws a tight beam like a laser pointer. Anyone who has actually used it will tell you it's the best 3 cell light made!!!!