Any thoughts on high output (10,000+ lumen) handheld LED flashlights?

Forager

Newly Enlightened
Is there a market for (10,000+ lumen) battery operated handheld LED flashlights?
What features are currently unavailable in an active (in production) flashlight that you would like to see?

For this level of output, is narrow (20 degrees) or wide (40 degrees) or flood (natural LED distribution) more desirable?

A light of this power output requires a high capacity battery pack.
Is it more desirable to have a fixed internal pack with a charge port? or is it better to have a removable battery pack?
What run time at high power is acceptable or desirable?

What form factor is appropriate?

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out what 4Sevens did with their X18.
I am surprised that it hasn't been updated to actually put out 18,000 lumens.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The demand will depend on the price points and the ergonomics/form factor.

47's didn't sell many X18's, I think, because it was very expensive, and, did not look like a flashlight, could not be carried like a flashlight, etc. It was essentially a very bright lantern.

If the throw is important, the lumens are less important than the cd.

The UI then becomes important, because 10k L is so bright that the ability to use it for closer ranges is compromised unless it can be throttled down, etc.

So an end user would be needed to target the entire concept around. Search and rescue for example would be a good demographic if the light was also durable enough and easy enough to use.

Forager

Newly Enlightened
My issue with that light is that it costs $2400 and is quite large. I don't consider it to have a great price/performance ratio. I imagine most people are looking for something with a more natural form factor anyway.
I know the 4Sevens light is a great proof of concept, but does it actually sell?
I have my own thoughts for what would make an awesome bright light, but I wanted to feel the waters for what people are looking for.

Forager

Newly Enlightened
TEEJ, thanks for the input. Thoughts on the user interface are also appreciated.
The light would have a large dimming ratio with continuously variable capability. Not sure if people prefer knobs or discrete buttons though.
I'm not sure of the proper form factor name, but I was thinking a canister (brick and handle) setup.
Any interest in such a device?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
TEEJ, thanks for the input. Thoughts on the user interface are also appreciated.
The light would have a large dimming ratio with continuously variable capability. Not sure if people prefer knobs or discrete buttons though.
I'm not sure of the proper form factor name, but I was thinking a canister (brick and handle) setup.
Any interest in such a device?

What are you doing to dissipate the heat/optimize run time?

Cost would of course play an enormous part in interest...as a 10k L light for a dollar would fly off the shelves, but the same light would more likely languish if too many dollars...as happened to the 47 version from what I can tell.

A lot of people will spring for something they covet if its $250-$500 or so, but its rarefied air where stuff that's more than that is bought, no matter how great its performance/features....and the higher the $, the more rarefied it gets.

Brick and handle lights are not as popular as barrel based lights in general. If the brick was incorporated into the handle in a way to improve the flashlighted form factor, it would probably go over better.

Forager

Newly Enlightened
Heat dissipation will be handled by active air cooling and temperature feedback to adjust air cooling level and potential dim the LED to prevent damage.

Run time will in part be decided by how much one is willing to spend. Battery pack will be a big percentage of parts cost.
Dimming a light this powerful to 1% brightness (which would be the output of what some still consider a "bright flashlight") could last for days straight.

Thanks for the input on cost and form factor. Could you be more specific or provide example of what you mean by incorporating the brick into the handle?

As for the brick and handle, I found something about the look and size (not specs) of what I'm considering in the Surefire Hellfighter. Although if a barrel light would go over better I could make that happen. It would just be a bit harder to get the thermal management right.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very strange how little the Fatboy is talked about. A light that will be like no other light ever before, and here we are in a 'Flashlight FORUM' and since March I have only been able to entice just a handful of comments on it. Meanwhile some totally random post will get 190 replies. Even if most can't afford it this is still a flashlight forum, very curious to say the least

Arif

Newly Enlightened
Very strange how little the Fatboy is talked about. A light that will be like no other light ever before, and here we are in a 'Flashlight FORUM' and since March I have only been able to entice just a handful of comments on it. Meanwhile some totally random post will get 190 replies. Even if most can't afford it this is still a flashlight forum, very curious to say the least

I'd happily bang on about it & enquire after it, much like I do & have the TM26 & SR96 - but this particular model/maker seems to be something so boutique/inaccessible/out-of-reach that it seems pointless wanting one, & therefore pointless asking after it. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'll test it now - where can I find out more, & how do I buy one?

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's that dude with screen name Quazzle. Yeah he's def not the best communicator but this thing will be ridiculous did u see the picture of it next to the cell phone? 10,000 lumens and it's THAT small. Forced air cooling! It's gonna be insane

Forager

Newly Enlightened
I hadn't seen the Fatboy before. I find it very interesting, but I am very skeptical of it reaching over 6,000 lumens without running at a high enough temp to degrade LED lifespan. Also battery life can't be that great, but still impressive for the size, which I suppose is what people around here are more interested in.

japudjuha

Enlightened
Wow, that's the first I have heard of the FB1. Looks interesting.

I would have have bought an XM18 if it was around the $1000 mark.
Mainly because I love the raw power and that it is an unusual design.
That was also one of the negatives, the design was not really useful for
anything but wowing at the output, not something that you would carry
with you.

But it now that the likes of the XM18 and the olight X6 are a few years old,
i can't wait to see the next generation of powerhouses!

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
I know that Elektrolumens has the Kong series .... up to "21,000" lumens. It's a little large though. "Handheld" it is. :)