3-c streamlight propolymer

G

Gordy

Was wondering how these compare to the Princeton tec Surge,which I have a couple of.As bright,run time about the same?Gordy

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently added both to my collection. There is not much of a comparison, The Surge has a large very nice hot spot, with good peripheral spill, even at it's tightest. The flood is very even. LOTS of lumens.

I bought the 3C SL because it was rated at twice the candle power of the 4AA Xenon SL. The 4AA has a wonderful beam, bright, and even, love the light. The 3C has a ringy, very small hot spot, not laser like, but tiny.It really does not appear to be brighter than the 4AA, except at the tiny center of the hot spot. There is a ringy slight peripheral spill (3C). Don't like it at all. The clip on the 3C is nice; works well for carry. The 3C has no flood.

Buy the Surge.

G

Gordy

Thanks John,I was going to get both the 3c and the 4aa.I think i'll just get the 4aa now.The site I was going to buy them from rated the 3c as double the brightness of the 4aa and I had a hard time believing that.Gordy

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If incandescent lights are what y'all are talking about I just have this to say.

I have right here a 2AA Pro Poly Incandescent Streamlight. It has a momentary on tail switch, and turn the head for continual light.

It makes a VERY tight beam with some faint rings and something I can only call "bat wings". It is pretty bright too.

It is far too tight for a general purpose light.

I don't own a Surge, but hear such good things about them that I wouldn't even take a chance on a 3C incandescent... instead I would (and will eventually) go for 3C and /or 4AA LED Pro Polymers.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
The Surge is amazing! I love it. I also have a SL 3C Pro Poly, but its the LED. I won't get a 3C Incan as I just don't feel they are worth it. The 3C LED, however, I got for adequate emergency lighting for very long runtimes.

FWIW, the Surge is about a 2C sized flashlight. Its about 2/3s the size of my 3C propoly and just a tad thicker in the body.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bunch of NiMH C cells left over from other things that are no longer needed at the moment. I'd love to get a light to use them in. If you don't recommend the pro-polymer, are there any good LED lights that take C batts? I suppose I'll have to do a couple of 3C cyclops mods or something like that
wink.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might try a PT400 (Double Barrelled 4C) light that sells for $22.95 plus shipping at Texas Tactical. I like it, but the handle is too big for some hands.

This comes with a 5.2 V .85 A HPR bulb that can be replaced with an Ikelite HPR 5.0 V 1.25 A bulb or a custom potted Carley 4.8 V 1.6 A HPR bulb.

Ikelite makes a similarly designed light with the Ikelite bulb.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I just finished putting Writeright on my 2AA (actually Belkin brand film).

It is bright enough to not have given too much up to the film. It is much improved but still pretty much too tight for good all around use.

I still would not get an Incandescent 3C, but rather a more useful LED 3C or/and a 4AA LED.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
James S- My criticism was of the 3C Propolymer Xenon, NOT the 3C LED. I am sure it is a good light. I have the 4AA LED version and really like it. The 3C LED Propolymer has a much longer run time. A bit bulky, but a bunch of light for a longggggg time.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Gordy,

I ended up with a UK SL4. Tight beam that is quite good when viewing at over 100 yards. It is not a close up light. It's big brother (UK SL6) is even brighter, but heavier.

The beam is not adjustable, and the lamp assembly replacement is around $9. Run time is around 3 hours on alkalines, don't know what you would get with NiMh.

The most interesting LED C cell set up is the custom modification that is listed on the universal battery holder (UBH) thread. 2 C adapter for an ARC LS. This is on page 7 of that thread and built for Charles Bradshaw
ARC 2C holder

Tom

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I dont like the beam on the 3C SL Propolymer anymore than you guys but I still like and value the strength and simplicity of the design and for me the fact that the light is fully waterproof means that I dont have to worry about it becoming waterlogged like I do with a lot of my more expensive lights!

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
DougMccoy-I agree with you. I wonder what we could do to tinker with the beam to loosen it a bit ? I ordered a spare bulb when I bought mine, and it is a two pin bulb (not an entire reflector assembly like the later 4AA's) The belt clip is nice, rides very close to your body.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually like my 3C SL poly light. It was one of my 1st purchases & not my favorite light, but I do think it's a very good light. Not a flood by any means, but around the bright center spot is a good useable circle of light. Up against a white wall, there are some rings in the spill light, but on a "real use" basis, outside in the dark, it's not that noticeable. Very tough light with an excellent clip. If I didn't own this one, I probably wouldn't buy one, but this one isn't for sale. TX