Zebralight SC60 emitter update (high CRI)

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
This SC60(cool) showed up in todays mail along with an order from illumination Supply so I thought it'd be fun to try and modify it with a nicer tinted emitter.
The press fit bezel ring was sticking up just enough from me to slowly work it out with help from an acetylene torch and by carefully prying at the edge with a razor. Probably took a half hour to get it free.
Once the bezel ring is off, the window, o-ring, & reflector fall right out allowing easy access to the emitter.

After the power and 2 ground wires were desoldered, the 2 screws holding the board in place were removed and the LED board falls out. No thermal adhesive or anything.

I decided to try a high CRI XP-G2 first. The beam now looks like an incandecant with low batteries...Lol! (2900k):candle:
It might end up with either a neutral XP-G2 or Nichia 219.

Here's some pics of a rarely opened zebralight.:thumbsup:

photobucket-6436-1387066864630.jpg

photobucket-8227-1387066966468.jpg

photobucket-3011-1387067103073.jpg

photobucket-9151-1387067047850.jpg

Last edited:

Tiresius

Enlightened
I know it's a personal taste and all but I prefer the High CRI XP-G2 more. It's more warm and forgiving to my sensitive eyes. The 219 feels too cool in my taste and tends to wash out more colors at 1.4a compared to the lower CCT of the XP-G2.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to like it but something about it just wasn't agreeing with me.:shrug:...TOO warm.
Again, looked like an incan that's batteries are getting low.:sick2:
The high CRI XP-G2 was also doing something to mess with the drivers levels.
Level M2 was as bright as H1 and L1 wasn't very low.

Now that there's a Nichia 219 in there the low is low again and the levels are spaced correctly again...strange.
The 219 reflowed just slightly off center but it's not really noticable and doesn't affect the beam.
I MUCH prefer the 219 in this particular light. Just seems at home in there.

Since I already have like 5 lights with 219's in them so I wanted to try something different. I did try.:(
Pretty sure it's going to remain this way.:)

dbleznak

Enlightened
I know it's a personal taste and all but I prefer the High CRI XP-G2 more. It's more warm and forgiving to my sensitive eyes. The 219 feels too cool in my taste and tends to wash out more colors at 1.4a compared to the lower CCT of the XP-G2.

I'm with you Tiresius - I love the new XP-G2 (I believe it's right in that Q3 R3 or even R4 range). I feel the Nichia washes everything out and has mediocre beam culmination. I got two new triple XP-G2 warm E1e and it's like having a pocket full of sunshine, no pink at all. Sorry if I brought us off-topic. Thanks for listening.