Cateye Safety Light - how's it used?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Cateye Safety Light - how\'s it used?

ld100_r.jpg

"NEW Compact Safety Light! A new spin on lighting offers flexible mounting, compact design with two on-chip LED's, and our innovative magnetic switch. This light is waterproof to 50 meters and can be mounted almost anywhere."
Funny, I've never had a magnet handy on my bike 50 meters underwater!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Cateye Safety Light - how\'s it used?

Perhaps as a dive marker light? Did you get the specs from a website? It looks interesting. I wonder if how it is supposed to be used if it is bike related.

-Mike

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you're supposed to loop the cord around handlebars seat post, frame tubing or your arms or ankles etc.. and over the light (passing the light between the two shock cord strands) using the slider to set the cord to a length that works for the diameter tubing you are looping it around.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

TSG: You might be right... at first glance, it appeared to be mounted on a metallic stalk, but that could be a lanyard style flexible cord with a rubber tightening slider. Hmmm... Still don't know about the magnetic switch. Sounds like it can be turned on and off without holes passing through the case.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast

This has been featured in a few different bike magazines. The magnet is thoughtfully encased in that black blob at the end of the lanyard. Just wave it over the center of the light to turn it on and off. It's an interesting concept, but it's hard to see what urgent need it fulfills.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

OTOH, it's a nifty gadget, and possibly a perfect stocking stuffer!

Steve K.
(working hard at fitting a 5W Luxeon into an old Union bike headlight...)

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Click here to view the instruction manual from the Cateye site.

Velcro

Enlightened

I checked it out in the shop. The end of the cord is the magnetic switch, you hold it against the casing and the light turns on. You can choose between constant, flashing and random flashing lightmodes. The LED's are those tiny square mounted one's. They are reasonably bright, in that they produce quite some light for such a tiny thing. But it's definately not as bright as regular taillights. Also, whatever you will put it on, the cord is bound to wobble around. I don't see any real use for this thing. It's more like a novelty gadget.