XTAR - CES 2014 - VP2 charger

__philippe

Enlightened
Wonder whether XTAR will pleasantly surprise their customers with brand-new, unheard-of chargers models during CES 2014 (from 7-10 Jan), or merely display their most recent models, currently part of the official chargers lineup, such as the SP1 (released 31/12/2013), MC1 (16/12/2013) and MC0 (5/12/2013) ?

Anyone willing to speculate on brand-new releases ?

Cheers,

__philippe

Last edited:

__philippe

Enlightened
Re: XTAR - CES 2014

Never mind speculations...:rolleyes:

Here are some interesting fresh tidbits about forthcoming 2014 XTAR chargers models, straight from the horse's mouth
(Xtar "Marketing Department's mouth, actually...), recently posted on CPFMarketplace Manufacturer's corner:

OK, here is warm-up information for 2014:

VP2
Another XTAR VP1 plus USB output which could charge large size battery.

MC2
XTAR Two channels Charger with Voltage options

AND SO ON...

We need to test for thousands of times to release to the market. Hope you like them.
More from our website.

I am especially intrigued by the VP2 and wondering about additional new features added to improve upon the current VP1;
(such as a Charge Termination LED, perhaps ?)
Have asked XTAR for full specs with pictures...we'll see...:whistle:

Stay tuned...:)

Cheers,

__philippe

__philippe

Enlightened

And now Ladies and Gentlemen, ....a roll of drum, please...

Here is a VP2 sneak preview picture, specs included, to whet your appetite...

Notice the two new little red LED's ? :thumbsup:
Release expected around end-January 2014

15czf2a.png

More to come soon...

Cheers,

__philippe

XJP5

Newly Enlightened

And now Ladies and Gentlemen, ....a roll of drum, please...

Here is a VP2 sneak preview picture, specs included, to whet your appetite...

Notice the two new little red LED's ?
thumbsup.gif

Release expected around end-January 2014

__philippe

Great News Philippe. I was just looking to buy a new Xtar charger, but I I'll wait and see if they release this VP2 in a few weeks. I need 18650 & 26650 charging capability. This seems to be just what I was hoping for. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

flashflood

Enlightened
XTAR - CES 2014

Wow, wow, wow. Awaiting HKJ review, of course, but the VP2 looks... perfect. It has every single thing that I've always wanted in a single charger. There's always been something missing: too much current for 10440, spacer required for 16340, can't fit 18700, can't fit 26650, can't do LiFePO4, ... The VP2 covers all the bases. Nice!

__philippe

Enlightened
Last edited:

ToneDeath

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the input.

So I could pick up a Xtar VP2 & some LiFePO4 RCR123A batteries, charge and use them in my Elzetta Bravo with the Malkoff LED module. I'll send off my other Elzetta Bravo HO for boring and pick up some protected 18650 batteries when it returns. Do I need to be concerned about using rechargeable batteries and any damage to either the Malkoff M60 module or the Elzetta high output module?

TD

__philippe

Enlightened
Xtar-VP2 in action - cell charge termination status via LED signalling

• Channel#1: 14500 800 mAh cell charge terminated
  • Channel#2: 26650 4000 mAh cell charge in progress

34zdlvt.jpg

(picture courtesy Xtar-Norge)

__philippe

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The VP2 appears to answer my needs, er, wants. In preparation for moving (eventually back to Germany), I am sorting thru my existing chargers and wish to dispense with nearly all of them to save space. I would rather eliminate chargers than lights! I constrained my 18650 acquisitions to whatever the lights contain, only 1 "spare". My currently favored approach was to employ in-light charging. However that meant that the cell balancing in multi-cell 18650 lights would be handicapped. I could limp along with the Klarus end-cap chargers that run off a USB port, but that is not very transferable to my extended family. They need something that they can identify as a charger. The VP2 also provides output to charge my cell phone - very necessary in Europe where a Mains outlet is commonly unavailable or very inconvenient to access. I am only waiting for a review as to termination voltage/currents before I purchase.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I am only waiting for a review as to termination voltage/currents before I purchase.

That will be some time, Xtar has not shipped one to me yet.
It looks like the first batch goes to dealers. Review copies are first send out from the second batch or maybe later.

__philippe

Enlightened
Taking a second look at the above picture (post #12),
I wonder if 4.16V is not a trifle low for correctly terminating the charge on a 14500 cell ?...:confused:

__philippe

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not if they have been charging at 1A

+1.

It is not well understood that the Li-Ion charge rate does influence the resting terminal voltage after termination of the charge at a voltage level determined by the charger. What makes this charge-rate influence more difficult to detect is the normal slight drop-off of the cell voltage after nominal charge termination while the cell remains in the charger. The latter phenomenon is visible at least to some extent in the wonderful charging graphs provided by HKJ! Thanks HKJ!

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to add a THANKS! to Philippe for the early warning on the new XTAR releases, especially the VP2. That saved me some $$ as well as the potential frustration of purchasing some charger that maybe did not match up with the perceived needs as well.

__philippe

Enlightened
:)...and

......Cheers also to moldyoldy for his cogent reminder about the correlation between charge-rate and resting termination voltage,
and for the pertinent reference to HKJ's authoritative and ever instructive charge/discharge diagrams.

__philippe

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
HOLYMOLY this looks like a perfect charger...

Everything from 10440 upto 26650!!!! And Suitable chargerates!Love it!! Glad I did not spend on a VP1 and got a cheaper WP2, I now have a excuse to upgrade lol, and it has the Leds as well as a actual screen unlike the VP1, aswell as a powerbank feature, WOW! I think this charger providing there are no issues with it will be very hard to beat, even more so if it comes at a good price like most of Xtars stuff, they really have outdone themselfs I think here.

Only thing I think could beat this is if it has a 2A chargeing mode aswell, as even 1A takes fourever on a 3400 (And now the 3600) 18650s and I cant imagine how long a 26650 would take....