N2 or MN15 in M6 for long run time?

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Has anyone tried to run the N2 or MN15 Lamp Assemblies in the M6? I would like to have the longer run time, if it works. They would be similar to using the MN02 in the E2E, if it works.
oldgrandpajack

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
The N2 in the M6 is awesome, however it's a 3-cell configuration, not the standard 6-cell. I'd imagine runtime is what you'd expect with an N2 on an M3T. The way the 6-cells are configuration in the cell holder of the M6, you can not run the N2 without removing the correct 3-cells. On my M6 lights, I've actually marked the slots on the battery hold, so I can quickly run in a 3-cell configuration when desired or needed. There are several posts around here somewhere that describes how to determine which 3-cells stay in. It takes less than 10-minutes using a volt meter. I'll see if I can find the thread(s).

Razvan

Newly Enlightened
I also considered the MN15 in order to extend the runtime and was going to ask the same thing just before I've found this.

If I'm not mistaken, the MB20 puts out 9v (as 2 groups in parallel of 3 in series 123A's) and since both MN15/N2 are 9v lamps I don't think I understand which is the problem preventing us from running them in the current 6 cell configuration.

rlhess

Enlightened
9V is a relative term in these lights.

As the current drain is high, the internal impedance of the cells contributes to a voltage drop. The N2 is designed for a single string of three cells. If you put two of these strings in parallel, using six cells in two groups of three, as I understand the M6 does, you will actually be feeding a higher voltage to the N2 than it is designed for and since the relative lifetime of lamps is related to something like the 12th power of the ratio between design and applied voltage, it will burn brighter, but a lot shorter.

If you look at Brock's wonderful work at http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/flash.htm you'll see how much the voltage varies from the design voltage.

Cheers,

Richard