firefly mode Preon P0 VS I3s or L10 XP-G2

figuy

Newly Enlightened
How does the sub lumen mode compare between the P0 and the L10 XP-G2 or I3s? I have the L10 and I3s and I think the beam is too bright. I know the P0 is more of a flood, but if the brightness is more like the spill of the L10 or I3s I think it will be suitable for me.

Etsu

Enlightened
When I compare the P0 to the L10 moonlight, the P0 is quite a lot brighter overall. The spill on the P0 is much brighter than the spill on the L10, but the P0 is all spill. The L10's hot-spot is a lot brighter than P0's spill.

Note that the P0 has a much wider spill than the L10's spill. So it's a bit difficult to do a direct comparison, but I tried to arrange them so the spill was about the same diameter (which means holding the P0 closer to the wall).

They really serve two different purposes. If you want a very dim moonlight mode that can pick out things with its hotspot, then the L10 wins. If you want a dim general illumination to faintly see a wide area (or look at something up close), then the P0 wins.

Personally, I prefer the P0 as a keychain light, not just because it's a lot smaller, but because I'm usually looking at things up close when I'm using a keychain light. I prefer the L10 as a middle-of-the-night light, because it provides enough light in the hotspot to see things, but no extra light anywhere else.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L10 Nichia 219 is the 3-mode version. But I agree with Etsu's observation: the L10's hot spot is brighter than the PO's spill and the spill on the L10 is close to the PO. The L on the I3s is very low, but the mode sequence (M>H>L) means that I almost never use L. If you're looking for a floody, low level light, the PO meets the requirements.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 4 mode L10 N219 (mine measures 0.02 lms) and P0 and agree the P0s spill is brighter than the L10 spill, but dimmer than the L10s hotspot. It should be noted Selfbuilt rec'd 4 copies of the 4 mode L10s and each if his samples showed a huge volatility in firefly brightness. I have multiple copies of several other sub-lumen lights, and in contrast, find them very consistent (pics posted in SB's review).

Not sure if it's too big, of too costly, but if you like really dim, perhaps you should consider an infinitely variable ring lights like Peaks, magnetic ring SWM and JB, or ZL 52 series which has 3 programmable choices below 0.09 lms.

Etsu

Enlightened
Yes, the Zebralight SC52 is very good for low, low moonlight modes. The lowest is so low that it's not really useful. But if you have cat eyes, maybe it will be perfect!