Review: Torchlab/Oveready Moddoolar (Beamshots Up!)

vegassig

Newly Enlightened
I've been lurking around the forums and marketplace long enough, I think it's time to start contributing, and what better time than my first custom flashlight! A little bit of background about myself: Flashlights have always been a hobby as long as I can remember. I use them in a professional and personal setting on a very regular basis in somewhat extreme conditions. I work for a local law enforcement agency and spend a lot of time in desert areas, urban settings, and underground, all of which require solid reliable lighting. Up until now I have been carrying a Surefire 6p host with a Malkoff M60 running primaries and a Surefire X300 weapon mounted light also running primaries. When I was looking to do a little upgrade and for the Malkoff, I turned to Torchlab/Oveready. So, on to the review.

The light:
I ordered a Moddoolar with the CREN 304 SS AlTiN Dark Bezel, DB 130mm (2x18650), Triple H3 HML Cool XPE2, MedPress McClicky, all in Custom HA Black.

Initial Impressions:
This thing is extremely solid in its build quality and feels great in the hand. AW 18650 3400 mAh batteries fir perfectly and light output is phenomenal.

Engine:
I chose the XPE2 for the extra throw since I typically need a good balance between throw and spill. Initial usage shows this light to be the best I've ever used. When walking a tunnel approximately 1 mile long I ran this light on high for the majority of the walk. It lit the whole width of the tunnel up and reached out far enough to see what was ahead of me. It was about 50 degrees in the tunnel and the head got warm to the touch, but not uncomfortably hot. The 3 levels of light are perfectly spaced for me, High is awesome, Med is great for extended runtime, and low is perfect for close up paperwork.

Tailcap:
Well-executed and the Medpress is the perfect amount of resistance. Nice and crisp.

Carrying and Deployment:
This is a lightweight light for how much light you get. My secondary light was a Surefire UB3T and I just don't see any point in carrying it anymore. The Moddoolar doesn't throw quite as far, but far enough that I have no problem replacing the UB3T and not worrying about it at all. I had an extra Maxpedition Baton Holder laying around and as you can see, it is a perfect fit for this light.

Issues:
Overall this is a great light and superbly engineered. I would have no problem recommending this light to anyone. With that said, I did notice one thing that in my opinion, shouldn't occur with a custom light.
There was definitely some damage to the threads, it doesn't seem to effect operation, but there is definitely a little bit of grittiness when the tailcap is tightened. Maybe I'm being anal, I understand there can me manufacturing defects, but it was slightly annoying.
UPDATE: They sent me a new tube with a return label in response to my email last week. Everything is perfect now. Couldn't ask for a better light or better customer service.

Rating:
Since this is my first review, I think I'm just going to use a 0-100% style of rating. I would give the Moddoolar a 98%!

Last edited:

vegassig

Newly Enlightened
Review: Torchlab/Oveready Moddoolar (Tabletop, field test ongoing)

Couple real world beamshots(will get the good camera out later for some beam profile shots):

Malkoff M60 in 6P host:

Oveready Mod on High:

There is actually more spill than the photo shows, but the center is so bright it causes the camera to change exposure settings so it doesn't wash out.

M60

Mod

M60

Mod:

M60: The hotspot fizzles out and isn't wide enough to hit the edges, so it just looks like ambient light, but it's pitch black.

Mod:

Close up M60:

Mod:

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Review: Torchlab/Oveready Moddoolar (Tabletop, field test ongoing)

Looks like a very nice solid light! :thumbsup:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

very nice set up! really like the diamond knurling pattern moodoo uses.
looking forward to the beamshots.

Last edited:

vegassig

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, the diamond pattern is great, not to abrasive, but the light isn't going anywhere.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you doing law enforcement in a tunnel? Are you carrying some kind of back up torch? Thanks for the review.

vegassig

Newly Enlightened

We have an extensive wash system for water drainage, but since it only rains a few times a year, it is basically an underground city.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow 2 3400s, runtime on low would be awesome. The tailcap thread marks would bother me too but I'd just probably smooth them out with 2000grit sandpaper and clean it up with alcohol before relubing. That should take the grittiness away. I agree it shouldn't appear on a 340USD light though.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast

One of the things I really like with Oveready lights is the ability to lego. The Torch Lab head has the ability to count cells and adjust output. The 130 tube with 2X18650 3400 mAh cells will provide the longest runtime. You can shorter with the 65 tube and run 2x18350. You can go even shorter with the 20 shorty tube and ZRS in the tail and run 1x18350. Maratac AAA for size comparison purposes only.

image.jpg

I have had excellent experience with Oveready's customer service. Have you contacted them about the threads?

vegassig

Newly Enlightened

Nice collection yoyoman. I like that shorty one. Yeah, I sent them an email last week, haven't heard back yet, so we'll see what they say.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oveready is addictive. One of the heads is the XP-G2 CW, another is the Nichia 219 and the XP-E2 CW is on the way. I like the 130 tube for the long runtimes. But generally I like smaller lights. My favorite set up is a Torch Lab head, the 20 tube, a bored SF A19 extender and a SF Z41 tail with ZRS. Can use either 1X18650 or 2x18350 for higher output. And I upgraded the shorty with the brass Triad with ZLS. They look nice and they are really tough and reliable.

image.jpg

Their custom lights are also wonderful. The Mini Turbohead SF C2/XM-L2 N/DD is a beast. The beam is great - clean and no rings.

Last edited:

vegassig

Newly Enlightened

Dan responded to my email from last week. Excellent customer service!

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good news. No surprise to me.

Based on your original post, last night I put my Torch Lab head on the 130 tube and had a blast. Although this set up is long, it is thin so it fits my hand perfectly and it is well balanced. Stayed on high and had fun lighting everything up. Had so much fun that I kept the head on the 130 tube.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice review !

I had a few early triples from Tom (that became Torchlab/Oveready) and tried to stay away from the Moddoolar line - but I've ended up with two setups in LMH (XPE neutral and Nichia 219) - working in industry I would rather start on low. I really like the shorty approach (hollow tailcap) to keep the size down for 1x18650 (or 2x18350) use. Absolutely no regrets. I just need to try and stay awy from buying a third one.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMO, they are the best small lights in the business.
I feel like I have a mini Malkoff Wildcat in my pants pocket, when I am carrying my OR TL triple.
Totally awesome lights. Basically they spoiled me for any other pocket light. I don't even look at anything else anymore.

vegassig

Newly Enlightened

Few mediocre beamshots added

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good beam shots. Pretty good throw for the triple! It blew away the M60 with the single XP-E. :thumbsup:

vegassig

Newly Enlightened

Beamshots up! Review complete. Love this light!