sc52 help

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Guys, I really need some help. And yes, Im a bit frustrated trying to type this as we speak.
I have had my SC52w for about 3 months, and loving every minute. To be honest, it took me a good while to get my hands on one without a green tint. In fact, it is actually for my eyes a perfect neutral white with no yellow/green/purple of ANY kind. I did tons of research, including reading through the sc52 threads here that are like 70 pages long, and like i said FINALLY won the tint lottery. This thing has been my pride and joy, and I don't ever leave the house without it in the pocket.

Now, today it just fell out of my pocket on the road, and just chipped the anodizing all over it. I can't even look at it without getting sick, I hope some of you can relate. I like to take care of my things, and when a mistake happens like that it just really gets me.

I don't have time to do more research on lights, as I'm working all the time now. But I need some help.

I NEED to get a new one. I can't love this one anymore all dinged up. Did the tint lottery thing get any better? Any retailers that happen to have a good batch of them? I really hate to go through the whole send it back a bunch of times thing if possible.

Please, any advice? I see the 62 is out now, but its for 18650. I love the little 14500 i put in my light with the 500lm mode so much guys, any advice or recommendations will really help my mental state.

And, no, I won't be able to just live with this one. I don't have the money for a super expensive custom or anything. The modes and interface of the 52 is perfect for me. I mean sure, its fine for a beat up light when i need one, but its not my perfect EDC baby anymore.......

Any vendors with neutral tints out there, or is it still playing the lottery? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Hopefully at least some of you can feel my pain on this little light.
dave

Last edited:

Aahhyes68

Newly Enlightened
Re: old sc52 vs. new sc52

I'll give you ten bucks for that neglected, old, beat up POS that's causing you pain. :D PM your PP addy, please. :whistle:

Lol... Sorry you scratched your baby.... I can't help you with the rest though.. Good luck. (I'm serious about buying if you want to sell it though. I'll fix it with a Sharpie and use the snot out of it....:) )

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Give it a week before you order a new one. Trust me, I've had that feeling of badly scratching a prized possession (once my then-brand-new Lumia 920 and also a watch) and feel like the only option was to get a new one. That feeling goes away, give it a chance and save that money for another light.

Southernlight

Enlightened

I don't know what your finances are but perhaps you should just keep this one as a beater and get another to be a shelf queen or fondler.
Sometimes I find having a beater means you'll use it on jobs where the light might get a mark or two more, but sure, I am the same as you, I like my lights "pristine"
My recently aquired L3 Illumination L10 dropped off a shelf (yep, shelf queen shelf) and fell onto a wood table and onto carpet.
There is a tiny abrasion on the rear rim but I am keeping it. Marks and all.

d.weglarz13

Enlightened

Yea, I hear ya. Do you guys recommend any other lights just like this but maybe better in some way with a nice interface too? I guess I will have to order another, gotta play the tint lottery again I guess. But, if there is anything better in the same size/interface/output, I would sure love to hear about it.

Thanks again. Still trying to let it go, but it just looks horrible now....

dave

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nothing wrong with wanting to keep it in mint condition.

But now that it has a battle scar, why not carry it and use it worry free knowing that further marks to it (should they happen) will not hurt as much as the first. You can still purchase another to keep as a backup and mint.

Edit: Serves me right to not read all the responses before posting my own. Tim already covered it above. :)

Southernlight

Enlightened

Nothing wrong with wanting to keep it in mint condition.

But now that it has a battle scar, why not carry it and use it worry free knowing that further marks to it (should they happen) will not hurt as much as the first. You can still purchase another to keep as a backup and mint.

Edit: Serves me right to not read all the responses before posting my own. Tim already covered it above. :)

Always good to hear from you Mike, and its interesting we all like to keep our lights in good condition.
After reading your description I've ordered the Tasklight II you mentioned while they are available. :)

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't get confused, 2 versions of SC52w exist:

old SC52w model in stock and on sale:
hxxp://www.zebralight.com/SC52w-AA-Flashlight-Neutral-White_p_109.html

new SC52w model, says "L2" on the label and has different UI:
hxxp://www.zebralight.com/SC52w-L2-AA-Flashlight-Neutral-White_p_138.html

Great advice given in this thread! :)
In summary:
1) Wait for 1-2 weeks and enjoy life, get some distance from the crazy hobby :D
2) If you're still feeling upset after 2 weeks and won't get over it, think of
3) Seeing a female doctor
4) Putting the light up for sale at higher price because of the GREAT tint
5) Consider keeping the light as beater and get a new beautiful EDC light from a different manufacturer (as shelf queen or for Sunday strolls) to console yourself that you still got access to a mint EDC light if you wanted to
6) The new EDC light could be SC52w L2 —yes play the tint lottery again it's worth it!— or Eagletac Titanium ;)

Good luck!

Southernlight

Enlightened

Don't get confused, 2 versions of SC52w exist:

old SC52w model in stock and on sale:
hxxp://www.zebralight.com/SC52w-AA-Flashlight-Neutral-White_p_109.html

new SC52w model, says "L2" on the label and has different UI:
hxxp://www.zebralight.com/SC52w-L2-AA-Flashlight-Neutral-White_p_138.html

Great advice given in this thread! :)
In summary:
1) Wait for 1-2 weeks and enjoy life, get some distance from the crazy hobby :D
2) If you're still feeling upset after 2 weeks and won't get over it, think of
3) Seeing a female doctor
4) Putting the light up for sale at higher price because of the GREAT tint
5) Consider keeping the light as beater and get a new beautiful EDC light from a different manufacturer (as shelf queen or for Sunday strolls) to console yourself that you still got access to a mint EDC light if you wanted to
6) The new EDC light could be SC52w L2 —yes play the tint lottery again it's worth it!— or Eagletac Titanium ;)

Good luck!

Now that is odd, I have a SC52w L2 on the way and just bought a Eagletac D25A Ti.
I will be also doing #3 this week as I see my Dentist.
Seems I am taking most of your advice.

ven

Flashaholic
I dont think you really enjoy the full benefits of a light till it has a mark/ding on it.Protecting it in a fur lining stops you using it under the truck,in work etc.Once it is marked (for me anyway) i use it with less worry about dropping it and then gets used more for other applications i would have not considered..........maybe i am just weird:D But you get to use it without any worry of the slightest defect.............

Then get another for best:D

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Let me say, thank you guys. Thanks for listening first and foremost. And, I have no choice but to do just that, I will keep this one as my work light, and buy another for the shelf or backup. Btw, is there any link on the differences between the two Sc52w versions? I thought I read the new one came out, but I thought I was mistaken as the description looks the same on ZL site.

Is the newer 52w with L2 better tint in general? And what about the UI? I really do love the UI on my 52 from a few months back. I can't see going back to a simple on/off or twist light after using this little baby. Any more info on the differences will really help my decision. I didn't see any threads here about the two versions of the 52w here, so any direction for me to go and learn about them would be great.

Dave

Thanks, again for your help guys. And no, I won't be selling this one either.......no harm in asking though

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider getting your dinged unit sandblasted or something: refinished in something better (Ceracote) maybe. My first reaction hearing you didn't want it was to PM you and offer $45. I have a SC62d on preorder because of the tint issues and the 14500 is not enough battery for outdoor walks: but I loved the SC52 for around the house and urban settings, except for the green tint. My 80 year old mother has lost, in her house, the SC52 green tint I sent her. And this was with a NiteIze headstrap attached (a good way to not drop a small torch I might add) so be glad you didn't lose it altogether. THAT would have been a crying shame.

And was it a recommendation to see a female doctor for female issues? Or was it to see a female doctor as a pleasant diversion?

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
haha, yea. thats actually a great idea maybe i will have it blasted one day. I do love it so much. The 62 looks nice, but that is only 320 lm, right? As opposed to the 500 blast mode?

And, any more info on the Newer Sc52w with L2? I am sure interested to see how they compare in a review or something.
thanks

dave