Nitecore P12 on the way... a few questions

cade

Newly Enlightened
Its coming from optics planet via eBay with a Nitecore charger and two Nitecore NL183 2300mAH 18650 batteries.

My questions - Will I need to discharge the batteries fully or just put them in the charger until full before using?
- Is the holster suitable for a duty rig? If not, is there one that is recommended?
- How long will a spare battery hold a charge when not used for a week or so?

Also- I have a 15 year old rechargeable MAG light (D cell) that hasn't been used for at least 7 years. How much to do an LED and battery upgrade cost so it can be used again?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
You don't wanna drain a Li-ion completely ;) First charge them before use.
A Li-ion (18650) should be charged every 2-3 months.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I have understood, Lio-on do not have memory so the more you charge, provided is not already fully charged, the better it is: apparently it helps keep the battery in good condition.

Last edited:

CaptainBrock

Newly Enlightened
CaptainBrock on the Maglite

Anyone on the Maglite?
I considered upgrading a 4C Mag, but for the cost I could just get a well-designed flashlight.
Why bother to end up with a Gerry-rigged kluge? The Maglites are what they are.
My 4C Maglite has a Maglite LED upgrade and standard alkaline cells. It stays under the seat of my small SUV, dependable but unimpressive, and rarely used now.
:anyone:

ven

Flashaholic
Congrats on the light:D

the cells come around 3.7v so 40%ish charge,i would charge up and then use.It has an indicator on the light several blinks,gap then again so example 4 blinks then gap followed by 1 blink = 4.1v 3 blinks,gap 7 blinks=3.7v

After use check,once down to around 3.5-3.7v i top them off(re-charge back up to 4.2v)can run lower,but if you use light for a prolonged time next day then having 50% charge may end in disappointment.......and a bump in the dark:D

Good habit to get into,if have spare and want to store then try them at around 3.6/3.7v as 40% is a good store charge

cade

Newly Enlightened
Got the P12 yesterday....WOW! Fit, finish and function are top notch. Pretty sure the guys/gals I showed this to at the squad meeting will be ordering soon. Most had a Strion or other similarly weak 5+ year old light. They, like me, were unaware that a little light like this could be so powerful. Sigh...I see another addition on the horizon. Flashlights, whoda thunk it? Might just order a PD35 and see who takes the top spot.

CaptainBrock- I concur on the Mag upgrade. I did some searching and saw that a better/brighter light can be had for much less $$.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the P12 yesterday....WOW! Fit, finish and function are top notch. Pretty sure the guys/gals I showed this to at the squad meeting will be ordering soon. Most had a Strion or other similarly weak 5+ year old light. They, like me, were unaware that a little light like this could be so powerful. Sigh...I see another addition on the horizon. Flashlights, whoda thunk it? Might just order a PD35 and see who takes the top spot.

Yes that is how we all started, being amazed by turning darkness into light with bleeding edge technology and searching for more/better and not satisfied with what they are selling down at the big chain store. It is the same with many things when we start searching digging around the net searching different forums, flashlights using bleeding edge electronics and emitters so bright and small it is beyond stunning, knives using the latest steel and material keeping them sharp and durable, firearms small very reliable semi-autos light weight and easily maintained not to mention bullet technology etc..

Congrats om the P12 I really like mine to it is a good balance of flood/throw, get yourself one of the good 3400mah cells (not a flat top) it really pays off with the runtime.