Help ID my Surefire

Hayniac85

Newly Enlightened
So I got this light from a friend in a trade. I knowingly accepted it even though it isnt working. Im assuming it probably needs either a new bulb or tailcap. I mean I really at this point only have about $40 into the light. So even if it cost money to get it fixed Im sure Ill come out ahead. Anyways here are some pictures. Hope you guys can help me figure out what I have.

a5ytaryn.jpg

vy8a9uvu.jpg

qa9asujy.jpg

ahaha8y8.jpg

ja5aryty.jpg

Here it is next to some of my other lights for a bit of size referance. Also it runs on 2 Cr123's

a9yzytyz.jpg

Dutch

Enlightened
M952 with an XM07 tailcap assembly.

You got urself a keeper for $40!

It is unlikely there is anything wrong with the switch. Bulb is prolly fried.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a good LED dropin and you should be good to go. Like Dutch already mentioned, it´s more likely the bulb is blown than a defective switch.

Eric

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

If that's an FM63 IR filter on the front you won't be needing it any more if you upgrade to an LED drop-in. You can probably sell it for what you have invested in the light.

To verify the bulb is blown, leave the tailcap off, load it with fresh CR123s and use something conductive (a paperclip works well) to short between the negative terminal of the battery and the tailcap threads. If the bulb is good, it should light right up. Be sure to leave the IR filter open or you will never know the light is on.

Hayniac85

Newly Enlightened
I may just keep the IR filter on for both protection and shield to keep it from glinting.
Now the question is buld. You say drop in led...are you refering too surefires kx replacement bezel or is there an actual led drop in?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
We were referring to aftermarket drop-ins which are available from several different manufacturers. They get their name from the fact that they are a direct "drop-in" replacement for the entire SureFire P60 lamp assembly that your light currently uses. There are a ton of options out there but for a weapon light I would suggest a single mode drop-in.

You can see examples at Malkoff Devices or in these threads here on CPF:

Nailbender's XP-G2 drop-ins

Nailbender's main P60 drop-in thread

vinhnguyen54's P60 drop-in thread

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC that head is shock isolated, which gives poor thermal path to the body of the light, so no full power drop-ins unless you replace the head with a non shock-isolated one. The Malkoff 61 may do if you are only planning to use it for short bursts(maybe 1 minute max). If you are going for extended use, a lower power dropin like M61L or LL.