Fenix LD01, iTP A3 EOS 96 Lumen, A3 EOS 80 Lumen or other?

mountainwalker

Newly Enlightened
What would you recommend as the best small, lightweight AAA keychain EDC light out there? One of the below or another make/model and why?

Fenix LD01
27 Lumens (3.5hrs) -> 10 Lumens (8.5hrs) -> 80 Lumens (1hrs)

iTP A3 EOS 96 Lumen 1.5 lumens (50 hours) ->Medium 18 lumens (4 hours) ->-High 96 lumens (55 minutes)

Olight ITP Light A3 EOS 80-lumen runs for 60/8/0.5 hours at 0.5/20/80 lumens and includes a new 10Hz strobe mode

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, my 2 Pfennigs of opinion:

First of all, unless you are looking at old stock, the iTP A3 EOS has been replaced by the i3s EOS. Several of the i3s variations and the LD01 copies or earlier models have passed thru my hands as they were gifted.

The LD01 is a bit larger and heftier than the i3s and can tolerate a bit better the heat generated by using a 10440 in it - which the specs do not officially allow, although evidently many CPF'rs use 10440s in their LD01s.

the Olight i3s is smaller/lighter than the LD01 and although it also tolerates a 10440, it heats up faster than the LD01. I still have one copy of both the LD01 and the i3s. However I normally EDC the i3s since it is lighter and I have worn too many holes in my pockets from various lights, including the LD01. another point in favor of the i3s is the attachment for a lanyard or strap or whatever/however you wish to attach the light to some key-ring, etc. The latest i3s will both tail-stand and hang straight down. The earlier versions could not do that.

BTW, if you use a 10440 in either light, you do so at your risk since the light is not spec'd for a 10440. With a 10440, if you switch the light to high, the heat builds rapidly even if you are holding it. Certainly less than a minute on high.

Why even think about a 10440? because the output on high is about 200 lumens. Just keep the run time short and do not hope that your hand can heat-sink the light sufficiently.

Last edited:

d1337

Enlightened
Re: Olight i3s, Fenix LD01 or other for light, small EDC and emergency kit?

The i3s is the newer model. It replaces the i3. It is constant current regulated so you don't have to worry about PMW. The output are listed below. I have found that the listed outputs and runtimes have become a lot more realistic/ honest with Olight as of late. The runtime on medium is particularly impressive to me. It has a hidden strobe mode that is activated by going through med, high and low twice.

• High: 80 lumens / 0.6 hours
  • Low: 20 lumens / 8 hours
  • Moonlight: .5 lumens / 60 hours

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

recommend me a light?

mountainwalker

Newly Enlightened

Thanks d1337 - was looking for confirmation of what I found. That long run time ton medium will be very useful. For the purposes described above, do you prefer the i3s to the LD01?

Shelm, do you mean the thread should be in the Recommend Me A Light" Forum? Apologies if I placed this in the wrong spot, moderator please feel free to move it.

d1337

Enlightened

I find it great for keychain carry. I have both the LD01and the i3s but prefer the i3s.

koenfm

Newly Enlightened
I have the LD01 and the i3s both, and carry both, the i3s clipped to my pocket, the LD01 attached to my keychain.
The LD01 throws much better so is more useful outside, I can use the 3lm mode to walk the dog at night.
The i3s is more useful indoors, as it is floodier and has a moonlight mode. Too bad one has to cycle through med and hi to get to moonlight.
Also I find the medium on the i3s a bit too low for daytime use.
If I had to choose, I'd go with the LD01.
I'd rather use the LD01 close-range than use rhe i3s to walk outside.