Penlights for Medical Professionals - EMT, Paramedics, MDs - Lumen Levels ?

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
Hello - I did a search on EMT & paramedic flashlights. The threads I found were several years old and didn't answer my specific question.

What lumen levels would you like in a small penlight sized flashlight ? This would be as a back-up and for patient examination in the field. I recently purchased a couple of L3 Illumination L10 1xAA lights with the Nichia 219 LED. The four mode unit offers .09 lumens firefly, 3 lumens low, 30 lumens med, and 120 lumens on high. Color rendition is excellent (CRI = 92) so I would think this would be good for patient examination. I would like to hear the opinion of professionals who have medical training. Does this type of light sound useful to you ? Do you see any use for the firefly setting ? (I also have a 3 mode version that doesn't have this.) Thank you.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the Thrunite Ti with firefly low and 60 high. If I put a Nichia in it it would be perfect. I also have the AA version with 3 lumen low and 60 high and they work great for patient care. I'd recommend either for your medical needs.

Last edited:

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
I have both the Thrunite Ti with firefly low and 60 high. If I put a Nichia in it it would be perfect. I also have the AA version with 3 lumen low and 60 high and they work great for patient care. Is recommend either for your medical needs.

climberkid - - - do you see any use for a light with the low firefly setting for this application ? (I was thinking 3 lumens would be low enough, but wanted to get others opinions.) Are you an EMT or paramedic ? I'm trained as a Wilderness First Responder and am going to take a Wilderness EMT course. Thanks

Last edited:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a Basic so my scope of practice doesn't normally require many instruments. The low on the lights are mostly used when I fly at night (also in the air force) but if you're looking for an actual pen light that gives great output and has a quality company to back...go for FourSevens.

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
I'm a Basic so my scope of practice doesn't normally require many instruments. The low on the lights are mostly used when I fly at night (also in the air force) but if you're looking for an actual pen light that gives great output and has a quality company to back...go for FourSevens.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight Protac EMS is supposedly designed for just this usage. It always starts out at 3.7 lumens, which is supposed to be for pupil evaluation, etc. Then 10 lumens, for overall patient evaluation and wound care. Finally, 50 lumens for area illumination and such. Since Streamlilght does not provide info on which LEDs it uses, I can't speak to the CRI, except to say that mine appears to do a good job of color rendition and appears to be close to the neutral white of my EA4W. I am not any kind of medical professional, but my sister is a Senior RN at a Level 2 Trauma Center-rated Emergency Department. When I offered to provide her with a nice LED penlight several years ago, she told me that they all used the plain vanilla use-and-toss penlights provided by the hospital (it think from the pharmaceutical companies), which at the time were incan and would have been 10 lumens or less. I bought the EMS because I like the light range, and the fact that it always starts at low. I was working in a commercial kitchen at the time, and the nooks and crannies I was looking into and under with it did not need to be blasted with a lot of light before I could step down the beam. It is still one of my two EDC lights - the other is a Gen II Microstream.

hoop762

Newly Enlightened
I use multiple lights while on duty depending on the task at hand.

For a pen-style light i use a 5.11 atac plx. Fits well in the shears pocket of my 5.11 pants. Good clip. Single mode forward clicky with momentary on. Runs on AAA x2.

Also, look into a preon p2. Pen style with multiple brightness levels. Brighter than the 5.11. Cost is roughly double the atac plx, but certainly is more capable for a variety of tasks.

I work nights in a metro area. Most of the time on scene I need much more light than a pen style light is capable of. Just a thought.

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I will look further into them.
This will be for use as a small back-up light always carried, and for patient exams (including pupil response, etc). Don't want to blast them with a super high lumen light ! Other more powerful lights are also in our vehicles, and mounted on some of them.
Setting for use is usually outdoors, often in wilderness areas (Search and Rescue)

Last edited:

JBE

Newly Enlightened
5-7 lumens is ideal for assessing pupils with a second mode of about 30-50 for general-purpose back-up use. If you want to use a single light make sure it has a third mode of at least 60-65+ or that your primary light is capable of the same. I found incans gave better color rendition for assessing skin or for hunting for veins in the dark. When I worked the trucks, I always carried a SureFire G2 as a primary and a Fenix L1D or L2D as a secondary (best of both worlds). The G2 was my go-to "scene" light and the Fenix was my assesment and back-up light. Hope this helps.

jades_lucky

Newly Enlightened
I am a student physician soon to graduate and do multiple exams daily, the best lumen level that I have found for pupil (PERRLA) exam is 2-6 lumens. My favorite light to carry is the foursevens preon PenLight / olight o'pen because they are pretty much the same thing, I like the body style of the foursevens more but you can get the olight model for about $10 less. These look very professional - they start on low at 5 lumens for eyes, medium 50 lumens for general use, and high of 180 lumens just in case.

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
I am a student physician soon to graduate and do multiple exams daily, the best lumen level that I have found for pupil (PERRLA) exam is 2-6 lumens. My favorite light to carry is the foursevens preon PenLight / olight o'pen because they are pretty much the same thing, I like the body style of the foursevens more but you can get the olight model for about $10 less. These look very professional - they start on low at 5 lumens for eyes, medium 50 lumens for general use, and high of 180 lumens just in case.

jades lucky - congratulations on your upcoming graduation.

And thanks again to everyone for their flashlight suggestions.
Its great that we have access to some high CRI LED flashlights for this application.

tritan

Newly Enlightened
Stream light is great I love the stylus pro for Ems. Fits great in my 5:11 pants.

Kamerat

Enlightened
The Foursevens preon 2 from illumination supply with a Nichia 219 led would give you +92 cri. It means that you will be able to see skin color etc. better which I guess is very important. I personally also think it stays well in my pocket and hand as it is a 2 x aaa light. It turns on, with a clicky switch, at 2,2 lumens, click again for 22 and a third time for 160 lumens. It is part of my first aid kit!

ralpheburns

Newly Enlightened
Hello... first post to the forum.

I'm wondering if this Nitecore MT06MD has made it's way into any user hands for feedback. I am seeking a 2XAAA penlight for EMS and general volunteer fire work and have two questions about the MT06MD: (1) does this model use PWM for dimming? (2) is the clip improved over the older MT06?

I like the skinny penlight size with a deep-carry clip as it will ride in a radio chest pouch I use and hopefully not get lost. I'll use it for pupil reflex on low, could use medium for reading and writing notes and high the occasional looking for whatnot creeping thru the bushes. Having it start every time on low is paramount. There are some other threads that are quite old by now and a suggestion of 2-6 lumens for pupil reflex. Just a note on checking pupil reflex: the penlight is not shined directly in the eye, instead you start with the light to the lateral outside and bring it closer to the eye while watching for reaction first in the opposite eye and the second time in the eye receiving the light. In that regard a little diffusion at the edge of the light spot will be more forgiving. The whole color thing is a little mute for pupils, although checking skin color is a key assessment.

I'm considering this Nitecore MT06MD and also ThruNite Ti4 or Ti4T. There is some Amazon answer comment from a veterinarian that the 0.3 lumen low mode on the Ti4 is sometimes too low. I prefer constant-on back-button switching. I passed on several other brands and models after looking at Amazon review ratings.

Looking for feedback on my #1 and #2 questions above and suggestions on what to get.

Old thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Professionals-EMT-Paramedics-MDs-Lumen-Levels

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to look at the Lumintop IYP365. It is a nicely styled 2 AAA penlight available with a Nichia 219 emitter. The only drawback from your perspective is that the modes go M/L/H. But the Mid is only 25 lumens, and the low is 1.5. It only takes a quick half-press on the tail switch to switch modes, and there is no mode memory, so you don't have to worry about forgetting that the last time you used it it was on high, and dazzle someone's eye the next time you turn it on. MSRP is $25, but one can usually find a coupon on BLF or here in the manufacturers forum. I got one for $5 off back in January. At those prices, one could afford to get two and keep one in a kit bag or such as a backup.

I know you specified a penlight, but look at the Nitecore TIP CRI. One lumen Lower, and 25 lumen low would fit into your needs. It does have mode memory so one would have to be careful about which mode it was in when it is turned on. A breakaway neck lanyard on it and tucked into your pouch, with maybe one of those quick disconnect key ring thingies so you wouldn't have to have such a long lanyard. The price is in the same ballpark, and again, coupons should be available. If you stick with a penlight, this would make a good second light. Remember, "Two is One, and One is None"

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I discourage the IYP365 for this use. I find the M-L-H mode sequence real irritating.

There's only a small amount of feedback out for the MT06MD. I plan to get one.