Superlight Preview Update

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those of you who were interested in the first preview of this light, this update should help answer some of your questions, and perhaps inspire new ones.

As mentioned before, this light will be offered in several versions; 5W/3W reflector/lens combinations. This preview will concentrait on one of those versions, the 3W Luxeon with a new redesigned custom reflector. Redesigning and tailoring the design of the reflector for the 3 watt Luxeon allows the maximum performance to be extracted from this new 3 watt LED. By maximum performance, we are talking peak beam power, or light throwing capability. While different users have different expectations and desires from their illumination tools, most share a common desire for a flashlight that can project a briliant even spot of light on distant scenes. By all measures, this light approaches the utopia of compact super brightness in solid state lighting.

First, let's take a look at the physical appearance and features of the light.

sup3.jpg

The overall demensions and design remain basically the same, with a few changes:

Yes, that is type III hard anodize (HA) for the toughest surface with the highest level of resistance to scratches and other environmental hazards. Also note the addition of a clickie tailcap switch with button guard to prevent accidental operation, and which also retains the ability to stand the light on end in 'candle' mode. New also is the diamond knurl which replaces the spiral knurl on the prototype previewed last time.

Overall fit and finish is excellent as usual, being superbly crafted by Chris at TnC. The threads are tight and precise, providing for very smooth operation. No flaws, scratches or other cosmetic defects are visible even on very close inspection using 2.5X magnification.

sup2.jpg

The ballance and feel of the flashlight in the hand is great, insuring comfortable long term use without fatigue. A 1.5 mm thick glass front lens and o-ring seals provide water tight operation to 100 ft depth.

sup1.jpg

Inside, a redesigned DC/DC power converter/regulator controls power from 2 CR123 lithium cells to the Luxeon, while maintaining in excess of 90% efficiency for maximum battery life. A no epoxy, all mechanical fastener construction internally allows for ease of upgrade in the future as LED technologies improve over time. This light won't become obsolete as newer, brighter LEDs are produced, as it can be easily upgraded to remain state of the art.

Performance wise, there is no comparable flashlight available. The redesigned DC/DC regulator and reflector squeezes every possible photon out of the 3 watt Luxeon, and directs them all out the business end in one mean beam. Etreme brightness and super collimation give this flashlight unrivaled performance for it's size and weight.

Sorry, no beam shots or lightmeter measurements at this time. Some details will remian unpublished until the final design tweeks are finished, and formal introduction of this flashlight early next year. But initial field test indicate performance beyond anything seen to date, with a useful working distance out beyond several hundred meters; and that's no exageration.

sup4.jpg

MJ has done a superb job on the design of this flashlight, finding a perfect ballance between size, weight, and performance. This will certainly be one of the best flashlights available in 2004 and will set a new benchmark in performance for portable hand held illumination.

While no final price is available at this time, you can express your interest here to help determine the size of the initial production, and therefore help keep that price as low as possible for this custom built light.

- Preveiwed by Lambda 16 Dec 2003

NewFlash

Newly Enlightened
This new hobby is getting expensive... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif I'm interested.

And I'll second the interest in rechargables.

paulr

Flashaholic
Since you control the horizontal AND the vertical (machining AND electronics) I'd like to urge a step that nobody has taken yet.

Make a rechargeable flashlight. Include a lithium ion charge controller and charging contacts in the light itself, and make the battery tube able to take an 18650 li ion cell (basically make 19mm i.d. instead of 18mm). Include a poly sleeve or something to keep the slightly narrower CR123's from rattling. Recharging power should come from a 12 volt wall wart so it can also be recharged in the car from a cig lighter plug.

This goes a step beyond the Pila lights, which require you to remove the battery and use a separate clunky charger.

HunterSon

Enlightened
Uh, I would like one, but I would also like it to be at least semi-affordable, and judging by what people are asking for as features I may need to get a bank loan. Is there any way to get a ballpark figure based on an expected run of so many lights?

Make mine a 3 watt 3X123!

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh My! Yes me wants, me wants, especially with good bin stars me wants even more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

How soon may I get one or two /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gncamama

Newly Enlightened
I would be interested (depending if I can afford it). Please post the dimensions and weight when you are able.

Also...
1) Will a pocket clip be an offered option?
2) I'm assuming it can run on 3x123 cells - if so, will a 3x123 body be offered?

Regards,

Gilbert

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very interested in what ever version it comes out. I like the li-ion option,internal charging wouldn't be nessasary,using bare cells would suit me but how many of us deal with naked li-ion cells. Including the charge controller wouldn't go because they need to be set for the cell capacity and that is changing rapidly.Maybe an extension for pila and the like cells that are sure to be comming shortly to market. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should be a great light when it is completed.

I hope MJ's circuit can drive the light equally efficiently when using a 3.6v/3.7v Li-ion as well as the default 2 x 123s. The change in battery sources should not effect the current driving the LS... ideally.

Will the same driver be used for LIIIs and 5watters?

red_robby

Enlightened
Kevin,
just a gorgeous light/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
you'd better let this beautiful monster out soon, before the LS4 comes out...

*edit* if this turns into a waiting list, i want in...

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
Lambda,

A number of CPFers (e.g. CM) have bored out their 123 lights to accept Pila Li-On batteries. Maybe you can make the inside diameter of the Super Light slightly larger so that it will take Pila batteries?

BTW, I love LED flashlights with throw and will definitely want one if it's got some useable sidespill at close distance, as compared to Fraen LP's nothing at all.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be interested in one with the following attributes.

Luxeon: 5W maximally driven
Battery: 2x18650 or 2x18670 lithium ions
Design details: knurling only, no extraneous grooves, ribs or rings
Switch: cut-down or no clickie guard, like L4 Z57 style

This, in my estimation, would be the ultimate L5/L6 killer and would earn a place in my arsenal.

Wilkey