Zebralight SC600 MKII L2 - anything better on the horizon?

GTRmiami

Newly Enlightened
Getting ready to order one of these but considering that I don't really "need" it, I don't mind waiting if there's something better in its category that's due to be released. I have a Nitecore P12 which is a great every day use light but what I like about the ZL is the small size and light output. Are there any new lights in the works that compares to it in size, output, and quality or is the current SC600 expected to be the best (arguably, of course) in its class for the near future?

sampson2269

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered, well should say pre-ordered, the new Armytek Wizard Pro XM-L2 (Warm 90CRI) I'm not saying it's better but wanted to try something different, that and I love high cri lights!

RIX TUX

Enlightened
the sc600 really feels great in your hand, great quality, the side switch setup is now my favorite and the UI is the best.

tonkem

Enlightened
Cannot go wrong with the SC600, 1100 lumens in such a small package is awesome, and the Great Zebralight UI. What is not to love. I currently carry a SC52 with a 14500 everywhere I go. The only possible issue with the SC600 is it might be a bit too big for EDC, so the SC52 is a great alternative, but not quite the same as far as max output. I also have a S6330 Zebralight that is a very small powerhouse that runs forever on 3 18650's but they discontinued it, at least until the new model is released sometime this year (according to Zebralight).

If money is no object, you could look at the Lupine Piko TL Mini Max at 1200 lumens, and only 3.43 in long, but does have an integrated battery. The Lupine Piko TL Max is 4.01 in and has same 1200 lumens output with a bigger battery and longer runtime. They are going to be heavier than the SC600, but are a bit more compact and pocketable, IMHO. My wife carries the Lupine Piko TL Max.

For a bit larger light, and lots more money, you can look at the Lupine Betty TL2 at 4500 lumens and only 5 inches in the S model (s meaning small battery) or you can get the larger battery for a longer run time.

Nice to have lots of options.

My current favorite lights are Zebralight and Lupine. Granted the UI is better on the Zebralight.

GTRmiami

Newly Enlightened
I know a lot of people like the ZL user interface but can someone explain the logic behind their mode spacing to me? I'm having a hard time understanding why if using all modes at their highest setting, it would go 3.8 > 70 > 1100. Maybe I'm looking t it the wrong way but that's the strangest mode spacing I've ever seen. That's the only thing I find a little strange about it.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know a lot of people like the ZL user interface but can someone explain the logic behind their mode spacing to me? I'm having a hard time understanding why if using all modes at their highest setting, it would go 3.8 > 70 > 1100. Maybe I'm looking t it the wrong way but that's the strangest mode spacing I've ever seen. That's the only thing I find a little strange about it.

That sounds ok to me. Among those three modes, you wanted low & med closer together, or med closer to high?

Good call on the lupines, I really want a mini max!

GTRmiami

Newly Enlightened
That sounds ok to me. Among those three modes, you wanted low & med closer together, or med closer to high?

Good call on the lupines, I really want a mini max!

I see a level missing between 70 and 1100.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
SC600 II

High: H1 1100 Lm (PID, approx 2 hr) or H2 670 Lm (PID, approx 2.5 hrs) / 356 Lm (3.9 hrs) / 162 Lm (11 hrs)
Medium: M1 70 Lm (30 hrs) or M2 32Lm (66 hrs) / 12 Lm (172 hrs)
Low: L1 3.8 Lm (16 days) or L2 0.43 Lm (2.5 months) / 0.06 Lm (4.6 months) / 0.01 Lm (5.5 months)
Beacon Strobe Mode: 0.2Hz Beacon at Low / 0.2Hz Beacon at H1 / 4Hz Strobe at H1 / 19Hz Strobe at H1

It's programmable, may seem confusing but you can set it up to make the modes you use the most to be easily accessible.
Once you get one and play with it it is simple and easy to learn, and easier to use than other lights I have owned.

kj2

Flashaholic
Have been using mine for the last three days. I like the size and power it has. Still have to get used to the UI.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
I had a Nitecore ec25 when I got my Sc600 II and that was confusing because I was using both of them at first but sold the NC and now with 2 ZLs its second nature.

GTRmiami

Newly Enlightened
SC600 II

High: H1 1100 Lm (PID, approx 2 hr) or H2 670 Lm (PID, approx 2.5 hrs) / 356 Lm (3.9 hrs) / 162 Lm (11 hrs)
Medium: M1 70 Lm (30 hrs) or M2 32Lm (66 hrs) / 12 Lm (172 hrs)
Low: L1 3.8 Lm (16 days) or L2 0.43 Lm (2.5 months) / 0.06 Lm (4.6 months) / 0.01 Lm (5.5 months)
Beacon Strobe Mode: 0.2Hz Beacon at Low / 0.2Hz Beacon at H1 / 4Hz Strobe at H1 / 19Hz Strobe at H1

It's programmable, may seem confusing but you can set it up to make the modes you use the most to be easily accessible.
Once you get one and play with it it is simple and easy to learn, and easier to use than other lights I have owned.

I think if it had a fourth mode that you could set so you cycle from say, 3.8 to 70 to 356 to 1100 that would be perfect. I know you can do it by setting the H2 sublevel at 356 but to access it requires a different click pattern than just cycling normally through the levels.

So from what you guys are saying, there's nothing that you know of that's scheduled to be released soon that will compete with it in size and output?

Etsu

Enlightened
I kind of like the Zebralight mode spacing. Yes, if you only had 3 modes the spacing wouldn't be right. But you really have 6 modes, so can fill in the gaps by simply double-clicking. I set the programming to use the sub-levels by default, and if I find that the lower level isn't quite bright enough, I double-click to get the higher level.

The modes I use are L2A, L1, M2A, M1, H2B, and H1. "A" means the brightest of the sub-mode levels, and "B" is the dimmest.

markr6

Flashaholic
Nothing better yet IMO. Small, huge output, great beam, good tint if you win the tint lotto (4400K neutral), nice clip, best UI I've used so far, super low low mode. The "do it all" light which seems like a must-have for flashaholics.

That big fat head really kills any EDC chance for me, so if they can tweak that, or just put the XM-L2 in the SC62 format I feel they would be even more popular.

tonkem

Enlightened
GTRMiami, did you look at the Lupines? For the size, there is nothing else that compares(especially when you are talking about the Betty TL2), but be ready to spend some coin.

But, as I mentioned you cannot go wrong with the zebralight.

GTRmiami

Newly Enlightened
GTRMiami, did you look at the Lupines? For the size, there is nothing else that compares(especially when you are talking about the Betty TL2), but be ready to spend some coin.

But, as I mentioned you cannot go wrong with the zebralight.

I did look up the Lupines. They look great but there's no way I could afford to spend $400 for a single light. Put it this way, if it was a light that I used to make a living with or I was going to use it for something that my life might depend on it, I could justify it, but for nothing more than having a cool light to kick around with, walk the dog, the occasional rare night hike on marked trails, throw in a pocket of my cargo shorts when I'm out at night in case the zombie apocalypse hits when I'm sitting in the late night Taco Bell drive thru, etc..., spending that much money when I don't have even close to that much disposable income would be a waste in my situation.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if it had a fourth mode that you could set so you cycle from say, 3.8 to 70 to 356 to 1100 that would be perfect....

I'm no ZL fan, but a 4/70/1100 mode spacing looks ideal to me trying cover that range with 3 modes - IMHO, due to the logarithmic way we perceive light, it's the ratio that counts and 18x between L>M, and 15x between M>H is consistent. A 3x bump from 356 > 1100 is noticeable, although not really significant, much like going from 100 > 300 lms.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm no ZL fan, but a 4/70/1100 mode spacing looks ideal to me trying cover that range with 3 modes - IMHO, due to the logarithmic way we perceive light, it's the ratio that counts and 18x between L>M, and 15x between M>H is consistent. A 3x bump from 356 > 1100 is noticeable, although not really significant, much like going from 100 > 300 lms.

I agree. And I set my H2 to 356lm (a little lower since I have the 600w), so all it takes is a simple double click. I don't consider it a missing mode or poor spacing. Now if I had to do something crazy like double click 6 times EVERY time I wanted to access that 356lm, it would be a deal-breaker.

tonkem

Enlightened
I understand. Over the time that I have been a "flashaholic" I have spent lots of money on different lights, only to turn them loose. When I came across the Lupine Wilma TL, I had already owned a Polarion PH40 so I knew that lights could be very expensive. I can justify the cost, as they double as a bike light, and a very bright one, for that matter :)

Hope you find the light you are looking for, there are many to choose, but as I mentioned you cannot go wrong with the Zebralight, as long as you are ok with a more floody beam versus more throw. Obviously, the sc600 being 1100 lumens will have decent throw just from the amount of light, but will not be a light that you see a great distance. Same with the Lupines, as they are also more of a floody beam.

I did look up the Lupines. They look great but there's no way I could afford to spend $400 for a single light. Put it this way, if it was a light that I used to make a living with or I was going to use it for something that my life might depend on it, I could justify it, but for nothing more than having a cool light to kick around with, walk the dog, the occasional rare night hike on marked trails, throw in a pocket of my cargo shorts when I'm out at night in case the zombie apocalypse hits when I'm sitting in the late night Taco Bell drive thru, etc..., spending that much money when I don't have even close to that much disposable income would be a waste in my situation.

GTRmiami

Newly Enlightened
I understand. Over the time that I have been a "flashaholic" I have spent lots of money on different lights, only to turn them loose. When I came across the Lupine Wilma TL, I had already owned a Polarion PH40 so I knew that lights could be very expensive. I can justify the cost, as they double as a bike light, and a very bright one, for that matter :)

Hope you find the light you are looking for, there are many to choose, but as I mentioned you cannot go wrong with the Zebralight, as long as you are ok with a more floody beam versus more throw. Obviously, the sc600 being 1100 lumens will have decent throw just from the amount of light, but will not be a light that you see a great distance. Same with the Lupines, as they are also more of a floody beam.

For my practical needs, I have more use for flood than throw. If I need more throw I have a Sunwayman D40A. But for daily use, I prefer floodier lights.