Has Ebay sent me the wrong Sunwayman C20C Tomahawk

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Bit of a long story here but I will do my best and your help would be appreciated too.

Not that long ago I bought a brand new Sunwayman C20C Tomahawk led flashlight off Ebay and got it in about 3 weeks or so. Now according to the Ebay specs it was listed as a Cree XM-L2 in which it is, but also listed it to be a 620 Lumens flaslight as well.

Now quite interesting, when I received the package and opened it, the box listed a Max Lumens of 450 lumens but Ebay has listed it as 620.

So I am a bit confused here, is this torch actually 450 Lumens or 620 Lumens.

Also my other question here is, does this 620 Lumens only occur or take effect when you use 18650 LiIon bateries and not CR123 batteries.

Here is a link from ebay to the one I won.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151191322072?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Also I could email the seller and tell him/her that they have sent me the wrong torch (assume it is) and to send me a new one or proper one, than again this would mean I have to re-send back the current one I have wait another 3 weeks than again wait another 3 weeks for the new one they will re send me, probably total of 7 weeks or so.

I will be honest here I do like the current one I have and it does put out a nice bright light on Turbo/High mode.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
I see on the pics it has a XM-L led, and not a XM-L2. So first check which led your light has. Is the PCB green or grey?
Do see the seller has taken the pics right of the SWM website.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

ebay didn't send you anything,, the seller w/ 97.8% Positive feedback did*

*that's a real low %

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
I see on the pics it has a XM-L led, and not a XM-L2. So first check which led your light has. Is the PCB green or grey?
Do see the seller has taken the pics right of the SWM website.

Ok this gets quite interesting here, I didnt know there was such a thing as Cree XML, I thought there was only the Cree XML-2 so I will re check this on Monday when I go back to work, but I am sure on the torch just above on the body near the lens area it wrote Cree XML-2.

Re the PCB is the part on the bottom of the barrell where the + symbol of the battery touches, also what is the difference if one is grey and the other green.

Also forgot to add but according to Ebay the seller also listed a OP reftector but accoring to me I never got on, thought the light still does shine nice and bright.

To be honets I do like the current light, but I am not going to cry over split milk here and accept it, although in some ways I would of preferred to one that I bidded on.

kj2

Flashaholic
Ok this gets quite interesting here, I didnt know there was such a thing as Cree XML, I thought there was only the Cree XML-2 so I will re check this on Monday when I go back to work, but I am sure on the torch just above on the body near the lens area it wrote Cree XML-2.

Re the PCB is the part on the bottom of the barrell where the + symbol of the battery touches, also what is the difference if one is grey and the other green.
The led is also mounted on a board ;)

kj2

Flashaholic
So does this mean I have to pull apart the whole torch to look at the colour of the board and will green board mean 620lumens and brown 420 lumens.

No just look at the led, and you will see a green or gray square part.

euoxo3.jpg

Last edited:

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
No just look at the led, and you will see a green or gray square part.

euoxo3.jpg

HI KJ2 I am most certain on the body of the torch in front it says Cree XML-2, I know both my Olights have it the Olight S15 and S20.

Also assume that it is a XML-2 does this mean a 620 Lumens.

And the green is XML and the brown XML-2

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two Sunwayman C20Cs. One came with XML and the other with XML2. The one with XML2 had a sticker on the box saying "Now with XML2" or something like that.

The bodies of both lights are identical. There's no writing on the bodies identifying the LED, but if you look into the business end of the light you can easily tell which one has XML and which has XML2. If the little square around the yellow LED is green it's XML. If it's silver then it's XML2... as shown in the picture a couple posts up.

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Thanks Fireclaw I will check it out and also check the box as well for any writing saying something like new Cree XML2. Also is there 620 lumens written anywhere on your box. I thought when they said 620 lumens they meant only in Turbo Mode but under normal high output its 450 lumens. This is going to be interesting. Assume it's a XML and not a XML2. I'm going to email the seller and hope he or she will post me another one for free. It would be a blumen pain in the backside to post it back to them than wait for the new one to arrive. Ohh well let's wait and see.

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Just another quick question here, is there also a Cree XML-U2 led emitter and is this different to a Cree XML2 emitter. Also do all C20C only come with OP reflectors.

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Ok update here. I looked at the surrounding of the Cree led lamp and its a light greyish colour but definitely not green. So I'm assuming if not definitely sure its a Cree XML-2

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had mine for quite awhile. My LED is not green. Must be an XM-L2. I always thought it was brighter than 450 lumens. I did have trouble with it a month or so ago. It just quit working. I was able to tighten the pill in the head (no tail switch) and it's been fine. As for reflector I would say that mine has a light OP finish. It is creamy-white and floody.

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Just regarding my reflector I am not sure whether its a smooth or orange peel one, but three is no little holes in it like what an orange peel has.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't see green, then yes, you definitely have XML2.

U2 is the output bin. There's XML U2 and XML2 U2. In general, any XML2 is better than any first-generation XML.

Both my C20Cs had smooth reflectors. But I didn't pay much attention to them as I pulled out the guts and used both lights as mod hosts. I performed the following mods:

First modded C20C
1. Replaced emitter with 5000k MTG2 on Noctigon direct copper star.
2. Replaced driver with 3.04 amp Nanjg 105c with DrJones lumodrv firmware.
3. Performed Mountain Electronics' zener diode mod on the 105c.
4. Made a contact plate out of some plastic sheet, solder braid and sheet metal. Attached driver and Radio Shack micro-momentary tact switch to contact plate.
5. Replaced driver wire with 22 aug silicone.
6. Solder-braided both tailcap and driver springs.
7. Replaced smooth reflector with orange peel reflector taken from a Roche F12. Filed the new reflector to fit.
8. I run this light on 2x IMR 18350 cells. Output at max power is probably around 1700 lumens of beautiful neutral tint light. Total light output is far brighter than the stock light, but it doesn't throw as far due to the gigantic MTG2 led.

Second modded C20C
1. Replaced emitter with triple-XPG2 on Noctigon direct copper star. Each of the 3 emitters is a different tint: 1 cool white, 1 neutral white, and 1 warm white.
2. Replaced driver with Nanjg 105c with DrJones lumodrv firmware.
3. Performed Comfychair's FET mod on the 105c.
4. Attached driver to 20mm contact plate from Mountain Electronics. Attached Radio Shack micro-momentary tact switch to top of contact plate.
5. Replaced driver wire with 22 aug silicone.
6. Solder-braided head and tailcap springs.
7. Added 7 copper disks (all coated with AS5 thermal grease) under the star to raise the star to proper height and provide some additional heatsink mass.
8. Replaced reflector and lens with Carclo 10511 triple-TIR.
9. Used Jeweler's blue rouge to polish the frosting off the front of the TIR.
10. Result: Around 1500 lumens of beautiful pure white neutral tint light. Great color rendition. MUCH better than the stock emitter. The new emitter setup is floody, but it still throws further than the stock light. I run it on 3100 mAh Zebralight brand 18650 cells. I've tried running the light on Panasonic 20r INR cells, which results in maybe 1700 lumens out the front, but it gets too hot too fast.

Of the 2 mods, I prefer the second one, for its brighter hotspot, longer battery life, and safety. The second light maintains reverse polarity protection and low voltage protection. And it runs on a single cell. The MTG2 has no protection and has the added danger of running 2 cells in series.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just regarding my reflector I am not sure whether its a smooth or orange peel one, but three is no little holes in it like what an orange peel has.

An orange peel reflector should look wrinkly - like the surface of an orange. A smooth reflector has no wrinkles.

The orange peel texture smooths out the beam and helps eliminate rings and artifacts, but usually at the cost of some throw.

Both my 20Cs came with absolutely pristine smooth reflectors with dust at all inside the reflector compartment. They had excellent beams for non-orange peel reflectors.

Last edited:

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Hi Fireclaw just regarding your Mod 1 how do you manage yo fit 2 18650 batts in it. Have you extended the barrell of the torch. Your mods are amazing. Are you still using Cree leds with your mods or a different brand led

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Fireclaw just regarding your Mod 1 how do you manage yo fit 2 18650 batts in it. Have you extended the barrell of the torch. Your mods are amazing. Are you still using Cree leds with your mods or a different brand led

In the MTG2 modded C20C, I use two 18350 IMR cells. 18350 cells are half the size of 18650 cells so no extender is needed. My C20C with MTG2 is the same size as the stock C20C. It's tremendously bright at full power, but generates lots of heat and runs the batteries down fast. I estimate max battery life at full power at around 15 minutes. My other C20C with the triple XPG2 should last 25 minutes at full power. However, neither light should be run at full power for the duration due to heat concerns.

On the other hand, even at 25% power these lights are both plenty bright... probably brighter than a stock C20C.

I've used Cree LEDs for all my recent mods. Only one I have that doesn't use Cree is my modded Sipik 58 which uses triple Nichia 219 4500k 92 CRI. The high CRI is nice, but I find I prefer the efficiency and very high output CREE provides.

Last edited:

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
I had a look at my box last night and apparently this is what is written on it, re the Lumens

Sunwayman C20C

High 300Lumens
Low 16 Lumens

On the bottom of the box it says 481 Lumens

Also on the top right there is a white sticker that says Premium XM-L2 LED Higher Performance

Now also in the instruction manual under the specs section it says 481 Lumens max

But there is no where written 620 Lumens