What is = to a Surefire and a much better value for a small 200 to 500 tactical light

iluvmycam

Newly Enlightened
What is = to a Surefire and a much better value for a small 200 to 500 lumen tactical light?

It must be a lot cheaper and = to the Surefire in durability and performance. I only use lights with tactical end caps, not click buttons.

kj2

Flashaholic
A lot cheaper but still having the same durability, are two things that don't go together.
Take a look at Fenix, Eagletac or Nitecore lights.

iluvmycam

Newly Enlightened
A lot cheaper but still having the same durability, are two things that don't go together.
Take a look at Fenix, Eagletac or Nitecore lights.

That is OK. I can stick with Surefire.

Just wondering if there is a Surefire knockoff out there for half the money.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
A Surefire knock off isn't coming with a no questions asked lifetime warranty. What are you looking for? I'd just stick with a EB1 if thats what you want, or a G2X, they can be had for as low as $50.

You can get Solar-Force and other hosts and put drop-ins in them? Any Nitecore, Fenix or Jetbeam will take drops and stuff but if you throw it under a buss or it brakes from trying to pound a nail in they wont send you another.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the brands mentioned in the posts make a few models that are somewhat closer to Surefire build quality. Whether they are also close in terms of durability or longevity is a whole different questions. My Fenix TK11 and TK12 (most rugged Fenix lights) don't feel much different than my Surefire 6PX Pro (Surefire "budget" model). The Surefire clicky has somewhat better feedback and I noticed the spring in the tailcap is thicker than the one in the Fenix lights. The Fenix offer 18650 compatibility, pocket clip, customizable UI (TK12 only), and cost roughly 20% less - at least in terms of RRP.

If you compare other Surefire and Fenix lights, the gap can increase: even looking only at the weight, you have to ask yourself why a Surefire weighs twice as much as the Fenix. Unless we want to believe the weight comes from junk electronics or cheap aluminum, then there is a difference in build quality. The price difference increases too though as a Surefire can cost easily up to 4 times more than a Fenix light with a similar form factor.

It all comes down to what are your priorities: you want a bright light, with different modes, compact, lighter at an affordable price then you won't find that in a Surefire. You want a light with a simple UI and extremely rugged with an excellent warranty, don't care about 18650 compatibility, and you can afford to spend a bit more, then don't look elsewhere.

MBentz

Enlightened
The only one that can even be mentioned in the same breath as SureFire is Armytek because of their 10 year warranty. Most of the other manufactures leave you hanging after 12-24 months.

Paladin

Enlightened
How was Streamlight not mentioned? Their TLR-1 HL (630 lumens) compares very favorably with the X300 Ultra (500 lumens). The SL ProTac HL (600 lumens) is almost indistinguishable from the SF Fury (500 lumens) when used outdoors. I'm willing to assume the new Streamlight Protac HL3 (1100 lumens) will stand up pretty well to the future SF P3X Fury (1000 lumens).
Paladin

MBentz

Enlightened
Streamlight has a better warranty than the Chinese manufactured lights, but it's still their limited lifetime warranty vs SureFire's no questions asked warranty. Big difference when you read the fine print.

Capolini

Banned
Olight and Jetbeam are pretty good quality also!:)

Had to say this!! Most of the Police Officers in my area have Streamlight. The plant is 7 miles from my house in Eagleville, Pa.,,,,,I think that may be one of the reasons, they get a special price and they[unlike the common population] can drop in and get them repaired there! A Police officer told me that!! After seeing my TK61vn [622Kcd], he said he wants one to play with when he is off duty!!!

Last edited:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Streamlight has a better warranty than the Chinese manufactured lights, but it's still their limited lifetime warranty vs SureFire's no questions asked warranty. Big difference when you read the fine print.
Yeah its a big deal, you could tell them you fed it to a horse and probably get a new one.

Olight and Jetbeam are pretty good quality also!:)

Had to say this!! Most of the Police Officers in my area have Streamlight. The plant is 7 miles from my house in Eagleville, Pa.,,,,,I think that may be one of the reasons, they get a special price and they[unlike the common population] can drop in and get them repaired there! A Police officer told me that!! After seeing my TK61vn [622Kcd], he said he wants one to play with when he is off duty!!!
Lol everyone asks where I got my TN31vn, I'm like wellll I got it from the internet then sent it to a guy from a forum who modded it, lol. At my job they keep giving everyone pelican's, idk how much they cost but I hope not very much, 100lumens from a 4aa light lol.

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
I don't own a Surefire but I have been carrying a Klarus XT11 (Gen I) for awhile now. I have dropped this light more times than anyone could ever remember...and from pretty good ladder and above ceiling heights straight onto concrete. It has never missed a beat...not once. Sure, it's out of warranty....but if it does fail, I can afford another and by then, it will more than likely be a better model (Gen II) replacing it anyway. Can't speak for Armytek, Fenix, Jetbeam, or Sunwayman. 2 of my buddies have Eagletacs and have held up just as well.

I don't read too much into lifetime warranties on any products that have technology that moves at a quick pace. It would be like having a lifetime warrantee on a computer or a smartphone. Ok, so they will replace or fix your computer with a Pentium 5 and 256MB of RAM or your IPhone 3S 5 years from now. Who cares, it is pretty obsolete anyway. My .02...take it or leave it.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, solar force host with surefire z41 twisty tailcap with Malkoff drop-in? :whistle:

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight uses PWM on low modes versus constant current with Surefire. Very noticeable PWM on the lowest mode. I have several Steamlights and several Surefires and in my opinion the Surefires are better built.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of the lights mentioned above, as nice as they may be, use click-type switches and not the momentary switch mentioned in the OP.

As of now SureFire has the G2X-C (320 lumens), 6PX-C (320 lumen) and P2X-A Fury (500 lumen) which all fit the specifications in the original post with their output and momentary tactical switches. With their retail prices ranging from $50 to $108 I can't think of any comparable products at half the price.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight has a better customer service on their warranty. I had an issue once with Streamlight, and they sent me a new light with no questions asked. I had an issue with Surefire, and they had me send in the cracked bezel for proof on a 6P.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, solar force host with surefire z41 twisty tailcap with Malkoff drop-in? :whistle:

I was wondering how long it would take before Malkoff popped up.

Remember that you can still use a Surefire 6P/G2 host and rock equal to or better electronics - Malkoffs, in this case. As you can see, opinions differ wildly on what constitutes "equal to or better than".