Pen Flashlights...

mags94

Newly Enlightened
I did some searching but didn't find any information, but are pen flashlights a good compact option for lighting? Something that can be carried in your backpack, purse, etc. and not take up much room.

Thanks, Mag

Poppy

Flashaholic
I did some searching but didn't find any information, but are pen flashlights a good compact option for lighting? Something that can be carried in your backpack, purse, etc. and not take up much room.

Thanks, Mag

Have you ever seen a penlight? If so, you can judge if it can "be carried in your backpack, purse, etc. and not take up much room."

Only YOU can determine what size works best for YOU.

Penlights certainly have a purpose. Due to the fact that they typically carry two batteries, they can be brighter, or run longer, or be a combination of both, when compared to a single cell light of the same type of cell.

Here is a thread of a variety of penlights that are currently available.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
A true penlight today in 2014 is indeed a light the size of a ball point.I have one,writes like a pen and the other side a pen light.

mags94

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the information and link, I mostly want to find a good small lightweight light that can be carried without taking up much room.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the Streamlight Microstream and Stylus Pro. Both of them are the same diameter (a little smaller than what a carpenter's pencil would be if it was totally round). The Microstream is 1 AAA, and the Stylus Pro is 2AAA. I used to carry my Microstream in the change (watch) pocket of my jeans. When I carry either one in a jean pocket I can't even tell they are there. There are a lot of other similar lights out there, but I don't have any experience with them. I use lithium primaries for the longer life, but a lot of the members here will tell you to use NiMH, preferably Eneloops. Your choice. Until recently I didn't have a good charger, so I may be doing the switch once I use up most of my current stock.

I think you will find that a true penlight, like the one shown, is designed to be a 'pen' light, and as such, is only good for a couple of feet at most. That's fine for desk work, or reading in your tent at night, but for lighting your path or looking around I think you will like what you will find when you take a step up to lights like the Streamlights I mentioned. Go to BatteryJunction.com and look around. They have a section on 'Best of' and one of the categories is pocket/keychain lights. You will be surprised at the capabilities for the price of some of those lights.

Capitalistpig

Newly Enlightened
Just bought a AAA LED Minimag about a week ago----$15 at Walmart --87 lumens

Its quite bright for its size and slightly larger than a Cross pen---not bad for cheap----the days of me buying $100+ Surefires are long gone

Poppy

Flashaholic
I hear you... $100 lights? They need to be special :)

I passed on the little mag being that it has only ONE output level, and instead opted for...
CQG S2 2AAA CREE XP-G2 R5 CW LED Flashlight

the problem is there is no instant gratification when it comes on a slow boat from China... 3 weeks, maybe more. :(

But two levels of output... 15 and 120 and only $15 in the cool white version.

dss_777

Enlightened
The Preon P2 is a very nice and bright light, but the tail-cap clicky switch is so sensitive I'd be nervous about carrying it anywhere but in the shirt pocket. It's so easy to activate that even clipped to the pants pocket, it gets turned on inadvertently. With that light, you can unscrew the head a tiny bit and lock out the switch, but that's a bit inconvenient.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Thanks, Mag

Yes, very good option. My favorite for back-pocket carry is my 4Sevens Preon 2 with tailcap from a Preon 1.

That means, no accidental activation. Plus, very deep pocket carry that means it's not falling out or getting in the way.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
I have pretty well decided to go with the Olight O'pen. Looks more like a pen than any of the high output competition and has similar power to the Preon P2 using two AAA batteries. Three output levels with reasonable battery life using the low and medium levels. One disadvantage is that alkaline batteries are not truly a viable option if the high output mode is used as their life is ridiculously short. They just cannot provide the needed current for high output mode. Probably use it with Eneloops or Energizer Ultimate Lithiums.