Anti-reflective Yellow Night Driving Glasses For Winter Weather

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
Hi all,

I know that winter weather is over 6 months away, but I'm looking for reviews and recommendations for the above said glasses. In the past I've used yellow safety glasses, but have found there to be unsafe artifacts form other vehicles headlights.

This is what I'm looking for:
1) Anti-reflective coated
2) Selective yellow in color
3) Non-dorky looking
4) Comfortable
5) Brand name and part no.

Thanks

Last edited:

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't imagine this is safe. I would think that you are reducing the amount of light coming into your eyes making it harder to see at night.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
I can't imagine this is safe. I would think that you are reducing the amount of light coming into your eyes making it harder to see at night.

You might think so, but what it does is remove the blue portion of the output spectrum of your own and other motorist's headlamps and allows your eye to relax when driving in rain, fog and snow (especially falling snow!). The French required yellow headlights for many years...this being one of their reasons (the other for tactical reasons.) This topic has been discussed before on this forum in general terms...I'm looking for a more detailed and specific information so I can make a good choice.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have mixed feelings about this. In urban areas, especially when it is raining, the glare from streetlights, headlights, buildings, etc. combine to make it hard to see much of anything. Glasses can definitely dramatically reduce that glare. Yes, it does reduce the total amount of light, but the lack of glare means that you can actually see better. I tried this on a freeway, where cars were pretty much all I had to worry about. I definitely would not recommend doing this where there might be pedestrians around, though. That's just asking for trouble.

I don't know what your budget is...but if you have some extra money, check out Oakley.com. They have a section devoted to custom glasses, and you could definitely meet all your criteria, and they would not look "dorky". And you are getting more than just a brand name with that money...Oakley glasses are impact rated for both high mass/low speed and high speed/low mass objects. And they are flexible enough that you can step on them, and they will just bounce back. Ask me how I know...

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
You don't need to look for a brand name, that's a guaranteed way to spend too much and not get what you seek. Just go to a good optician's shop (not the "three pairs for just $79!!!!" or "Glasses in just 60 minutes!!!!" chain places) with a type "K2" or "Y2" camera lens filter in your pocket -- you can get a perfectly good used one inexpensively -- then select a frame you like that takes a large lens size, particularly in the horizontal dimension, and have the optician make lenses color-matched to the camera lens filter, with anti-reflective coating on both sides.

As for "non dorky looking": You're driving at night. Who's going to see them?

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Yellow lens Ray-Ban shooting glasses were very popular in the 70-80's and even some rifle scopes came with yellow lens caps. even Leupold had a filter kit in the last few years for their riflescopes that screwed on like camera filters

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Another reason to avoid name brands (Oakley, Ray-Ban, etc.): Most of the glasses I've seen them offering for purposes like this are the wrong color. Amber is not correct. Orange is not correct. Brown is not correct. All of those will block much too much light.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another reason to avoid name brands (Oakley, Ray-Ban, etc.): Most of the glasses I've seen them offering for purposes like this are the wrong color. Amber is not correct. Orange is not correct. Brown is not correct. All of those will block much too much light.

Have you actually looked at Oakley's offerings? They have a tremendous variety of tints, colors, light transmission (i.e., anything from blocking 90+% of light, to ones that allow 90% of light through.) You can definitely get EXACTLY what you want...won't have to compromise. But yes, obviously they are expensive. I personally feel they are well worth it, but if you are on a budget, clearly it isn't right for you.

http://www.оаklеy.соm/prоductѕ/6969/26415, scroll to bottom, click on lens tints, and it lists the specs. A yellow tinted, 90% transmission, high contrast lens designed for low light applications. Seems ideal for the OP's needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Have you actually looked at Oakley's offerings?

Not in over a decade, I'll admit. At that time, it was apparent to me that buying Oakley meant spending extre money just for the brand name, which I try very hard to avoid whenever possible.

http://www.оаklеy.соm/prоductѕ/6969/26415, scroll to bottom, click on lens tints, and it lists the specs

No, it lists the transmissivity...and that's it. That's a specification, one of many we need to know to select the right thing. Specs would involve a transmission curve or at least a declared wavelength cutoff. The phrase "high contrast lens" doesn't mean something as stated; without some context, it's a marketing claim. "Yellow" isn't a spec, it's a name for a very wide range of colors. The Oakley yellow might or might not be appropriate for the task at hand. The 90% transmissivity suggests it probably passes somewhat more blue than one wants for anti-glare night driving glasses.

Take a look here and take note of the K2 filter curve -- that's exactly what one wants for nighttime-driving glasses of the kind being discussed in this thread. Then head over here, which is the site of one of the leading eyewear lens tinting dye/chemistry suppliers in North America. The target dye (for the purposes of this thread) is their #450 "Winter Sun". You can see its filtration curve here; note the close characteristic match to the K2 camera filter curve.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that winter weather is over 6 months away, but I'm looking for reviews and recommendations for the above said glasses. In the past I've used yellow safety glasses, but have found there to be unsafe artifacts form other vehicles headlights.

This sort of thing comes up from time to time in our (searchable) forums. Properly done, it's not unsafe. The trick is getting it properly done!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...de-a-mistake&p=4105764&viewfull=1#post4105764
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...r-All-Season&p=3794929&viewfull=1#post3794929

And Daniel Stern himself has recommended it elsewhere: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!msg/rec.autos.driving/_2A5AoD76ZU/2HvBG5xtWhEJ

The referenced "Calichrome Yellow" may be "Kalichrome", which I think is registered to Ray-Ban. The K2 photo filter is what you want to match.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
Well...I found what I wanted. They're yellow safety glasses made by Pyramex, #DV30. Found them for around $40 (good value). They only block 65% of the blue wavelength, which is just fine for me...I want a little blue to keep the road looking somewhat normal...just with less glare.

Franco

Newly Enlightened

Hmm, far from definitive proof in that article. It seems to be more about marketing ethics and (if we're going to be cynical) their market share rather than an evidence based technical paper on the benefits, or lack thereof, of yellow filtered glasses in night time driving.

With that said, the high quality filters mentioned in this thread block an almost insignificant portion of useful light, but could possibly reduce glare from HID and some LED lights with prominent blue spikes, while increasing contrast in adverse conditions.

Doesn't seem dangerous to me.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
The prototypical night driving glasses in the above article are probably those that are hawked in the Lillian Vernon catalog or on late-night TV. The use of the word "amber" right there alone would bear that out. "Amber" is entirely too orangey, and even SAE Yellow is still too orangey (both have too little green), compared to selective yellow.

The anti-reflective coating is definitely a must-have.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like the folks advocating yellow night driving glasses were the ones with something to sell [including Tag Heuer(sp?), theirs had a very pale yellow tint]

What little I read, indicated that if you do not need glasses for corrected vision, don't reduce your ability to see light with any tinted lens; that an anti reflective coating for eyeglass wearers was a good idea. Thedoc007's post early in this thread was the one that seems most reasoned.

The originator of this post has made his decision (glasses designed to reduce eye strain from using a computer?) and it seemed a good idea to point out a different perspective.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like the folks advocating yellow night driving glasses were the ones with something to sell [including Tag Heuer(sp?), theirs had a very pale yellow tint]
Daniel Stern doesn't sell night driving glasses. He sells other lighting, but not these glasses, and HE wears them.

Thedoc007's post early in this thread was the one that seems most reasoned.
Thedoc007 mentions a brand and a % light transmissivity, which doesn't tell us much at all, nor did it give much reason behind it. If the wrong light is being passed through the lens, it's not helpful. The filtration curve is key!
On the Okley site, I see colors like "Fire Iridium" and "Persimmon" and "High Intensity Yellow", none of which seem to correspond to any real *selective yellow* tint.

Scheinwerfermann discusses a specific filter by the type (K2 or Y2); and also discusses additional specs to look for in... uh... "specs": The filtration (or transmission) curve of the K2 filter, shown here.

The originator of this post has made his decision (glasses designed to reduce eye strain from using a computer?) and it seemed a good idea to point out a different perspective.

Those glasses may filter more green than is desirable, or it may pass more blue than is desirable, but without seeing the transmission curve, it's hard to say.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have mixed feelings about this... I tried this on a freeway, where cars were pretty much all I had to worry about. I definitely would not recommend doing this where there might be pedestrians around, though. That's just asking for trouble.
What about animals in the road? An accident that has already happened ahead without any headlights still working?

Any lens will reduce the amount of light passing through. The source I cited was saying to keep a clean windshield, clean headlights, etc.

Yes, the fine moderator sounds very knowledgeable, and it sounds sensible to my layman's ears-- like I said, wanted to point out a different perspective. Anyone reading this thread should hear other sides to the story.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about animals in the road? An accident that has already happened ahead without any headlights still working?

Any lens will reduce the amount of light passing through. The source I cited was saying to keep a clean windshield, clean headlights, etc.

Yes, the fine moderator sounds very knowledgeable, and it sounds sensible to my layman's ears-- like I said, wanted to point out a different perspective. Anyone reading this thread should hear other sides to the story.

I for one appreciate that.

Regarding animals, accidents, etc. When you are driving, there are inherent risks. Some can be controlled, and some can't. If you definitely have trouble seeing due to glare, it MIGHT be sensible to address that, rather than worrying about a possible (and relatively unlikely) scenario that may or may not happen. I don't wear glasses, at night or during the day (other than sunglasses when it is bright out). Don't need them. But I did try it once, as an experiment, and I can understand the potential benefits. Glasses can dramatically reduce glare.

I will defer to more knowledgeable people regarding specific recommendations. I do believe that Oakley's are fantastic, and they know what they are doing, but it may or may not be the right tool for this application. I was just going by the criteria the OP listed.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick search found this from Popular Mechanics.
http://www.рорuӀаrmесhаnісѕ.com/саrѕ/hоw-tо/rераіr/10-ѕаfеtу-tірѕ-fоr-ԁrіvіng-аftеr-ԁаrk-4#sӀіԁе-4

I have poor night vision. Tried yellow lenses, made my vision
worse.
What I found to work is sitting up higher in a vehicle. At night & poor conditions I drive a Jeep. Keep my eyes as high above oncoming headlights as possible & a better angle from that position down onto the road. I leave the sports car for daytime.
Also, in my case, my Rx glasses work better at night than my contacts.
Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick search found this from Popular Mechanics.

From the slideshow: "If you [aim your headlamps] yourself, use the instructions in your owner's manual. And be patient. It may take a few tries before you have them pointed perfectly. Just make sure those newly aimed lights are not blinding oncoming traffic. "

Yeah, the owner's manual won't be too helpful in that regard other than saying "go to the dealer". And it shouldn't take any more than ONE try if you're doing it yourself in the proper environment with the proper instructions-- and similarly should not be blinding the oncoming traffic.

Also, on the subject of fog lamps (which they call "fog lights"): "These lights can be useful even when it's not foggy, however, because they spread wider than typical low beams, so they can help you see farther beyond the road's shoulder."
No, they are detrimental when it's not foggy-- especially at highway speeds. Maybe if you're creeping along in a neighborhood where everyone's parking on the streets it can help spot that raccoon or possum on the sidelines, but it's not for normal night driving.

Sure, dimming the dash lights and keeping glass and mirrors clean is a good idea-- but some of their other stuff is bad information. It's "Popular Mechanics", not "Driving Vision News" or even CandlePowerForums. This is the same magazine with an article "10 Tips to Avoid Speeding Tickets". This should be ONE tip: Drive at or slightly under the speed limit, and slow down even more in rain/snow/fog/ice.

Might as well as get advice on how to negotiate lasting peace in the Middle East from "Better Homes and Gardens".