Batteries in a DQG Tiny Ti

fortunesfool

Newly Enlightened
Having only a moderate amount of knowledge of all things flashlight related and having a distinct need for a small but powerful edc keychain light, I lurked around here and ultimately decided to get this bad boy:

http://www.banggood.com/DQG-Ti-V2-XP-G2-R5-Titanium-Tlloy-EDC-Mini-LED-Flashlight-p-934887.html

It just arrived today and I love it even when using a standard AAA battery in it.

I obviously want to get as much out of it as I possibly can so I come here looking for advice.

It can take AAA batteries or 10440's. I'm unsure if Eneloops would give a more reliable, stronger light than the 10440's. Nor do I know which ones would be most reliable.

I'm also worried because it's a very small light. I've heard there is some variation in the size of rechargeable AAA's (and maybe even in 10440's). I would like to buy the best battery I can for this light without going through a long string of batteries that don't fit or don't quite seem to fit the bill.

Thanks in advance for you help.

p.s. If you have a particular charger in mind that goes with your recommendation of a battery, feel free to include that. Financially there is some wiggle room, so I don't need rock bottom prices. That said I don't want to pay more unless I really have to.
p.s.s. Yes I love the glow in the dark option with this tiny light.

Photon

Newly Enlightened
Having only a moderate amount of knowledge of all things flashlight related and having a distinct need for a small but powerful edc keychain light, I lurked around here and ultimately decided to get this bad boy:

http://www.banggood.com/DQG-Ti-V2-XP-G2-R5-Titanium-Tlloy-EDC-Mini-LED-Flashlight-p-934887.html
[...]

Welcome to CPF.

Wise choice of Flashlight.

I've got the same light, but the later model VIII from http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1673. It has a trit on the end that glows by itself. Great for finding it on a nightstand.

My needs for a pocket light are infrequent, so I run an Eneloop AAA. It more than meets my needs. Theoretically, a 10440 would last longer, but I've never tried one.

All in all a very fine little light.

As far as chargers go, there are many smart chargers that all seem to do a pretty good job. Look for one with independent charging channels, not one that requires batteries to be charged in pairs. Personally, I use the Maha MH-C401FS from Thomas Distributing. http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Maha-MH-C401FS-DC-Battery-Charger--White-Model_p_381.html

Last edited:

Photon

Newly Enlightened
Would it? with the higher output on the 10440, I'm not sure that it would.

Norm

I was operating under the theory that a regulated circuit would only draw the power it needs, regardless of the input voltage. Some flashlights offer the option of battery tube extensions that claim longer runtime, without any claims of increased brightness. Or consider the constant-current regulation of these gems at http://rigel.datacorner.com/rigelsys/flashlight.html

OTOH, if the DQG runs brighter on a 10440, then maybe the runtime would not be longer.

I really should resist the temptation to guess about such things. Experience beats theory every time.

Last edited:

fortunesfool

Newly Enlightened
Interesting Photon, mine came with a blue tritium also. Not sure what the differences between 2 and 3 could be then. Mine came magnetized with the titanium carabiner, had the wonderful reversible clip and a dozen O rings.

As for the batteries, it sounds like I need to give standard AAA batteries a try for a while to see how much I would need/prefer the extra juice from the 10440's. Will eneloops give more juice than a standard rechargeable duracell cause that's what I had in the drawer when I put it together. If I do get eneloops, would it be worth changing out my charger? Before my CPF enlightenment, I just bought duracell rechargeables and recharger thinking that they were a known brand name and thus likely to be good.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dqg uses slow pwm in both modes when using a 10440. I like it with a normal aaa, hate it with a 10440 if that makes sence :)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime will be shorter, light will be brighter, and you can't run it on high for very long due to overheating.

This is the issue IME.

Running li-ions in my i3s and L10, things get hot fast. Sure...they're brighter but they get smoking hot in 90-180 seconds where just holding them is a chore.

I run Eneloops in both and if I need something brighter, or to impress shallow people, I've got other lights for that, lol.

Chris

Photon

Newly Enlightened
The dqg uses slow pwm in both modes when using a 10440. I like it with a normal aaa, hate it with a 10440 if that makes sence :)

It makes sense to me. I hate noticeable PWM.

Newer lights seem to have much higher frequency PWM, so it is difficult to detect. But I still prefer current regulation to PWM.

Photon

Newly Enlightened
As for the batteries, it sounds like I need to give standard AAA batteries a try for a while to see how much I would need/prefer the extra juice from the 10440's. Will eneloops give more juice than a standard rechargeable duracell cause that's what I had in the drawer when I put it together. If I do get eneloops, would it be worth changing out my charger? Before my CPF enlightenment, I just bought duracell rechargeables and recharger thinking that they were a known brand name and thus likely to be good.

Does the Duracell charger require charging in pairs, or will it charge individual batteries? Beware chargers that require pairs; you are at the mercy of the weakest battery.

I've had limited experience with batteries other than Eneloop. I did have some Rayovacs that missed charge termination in my Maha C9000 (they never stopped charging and were real hot). I thought the C9000 was faulty, but since then I've never had a problem with a few Duracells or any Eneloop.

I don't know how much difference there would be between an AAA Duracell charged in a Duracell charger versus an Eneloop AAA slow charged in a Maha. The difference in runtime in the DQG might amount to mere minutes.

One nice thing about rechargables is that you can always top them off after even a little bit of use, so they are always at full capacity. Note that if you do, it is a good idea to periodically drain the battery before recharging it. Some chargers have this capability built in.

As a side note, at work I have noise-cancelling headphones that take a AAA. I use Eneloops in them exclusively. They last for months of occasional use. Hard to go wrong with Eneloops.

fortunesfool

Newly Enlightened
So yeah, there's a lot of poopooing the 10440's. This puts them on the back burner for atleast the time being. I'm going to do a direct comparison between a fully charged duracell and a fully charged eneloop and see where we go from there. I'll also be comparing the pre charged status of the eneloop with it after it's been charged by the duracell charger. We'll see how much of a variance occurs and whether or not it's worth pushing things farther down the road.

*has no clue what PWM is*

Photon

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to do a direct comparison between a fully charged duracell and a fully charged eneloop and see where we go from there. I'll also be comparing the pre charged status of the eneloop with it after it's been charged by the duracell charger. We'll see how much of a variance occurs and whether or not it's worth pushing things farther down the road.

Great idea. Let us know your results.

Latest posts