Acid etch/ Diffusion on MC-E to remove artifacts?

slaps

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to upgrade my Lux V SF U2 with my N bin MC-E emitter. Before I send it out to be modded I want to acid etch, or somehow mechanically diffuse the led dome to minimize artifacts. My hope is to maintain lumens and beam profile while still getting rid of the infamous MC-E artifacts.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

JP Labs

Newly Enlightened
If I understand, you want to add a little diffusion to the beam, like an orange peel reflector would, but you want to achieve this at the LED. I think, by acid etching, you hope to change the shape of the surface without adding any new material, and in that way, avoid reducing output. If so, neat idea.

I can't tell you about acid etching. But, I have added diffuser material in 2 ways, one on purpose, and one by accident.

On purpose - Reflector: I simply sprayed a tiny bit of automotive clear coat on a reflector, from 2-3 inches away so it would go on wet instead of dry spray, but not cover the whole surface. Just splatter. This helped smooth the beam. I'm sure it reduced output a little. It required practice to spray a small enough amount. Line up the can first, and just tap the spray button as little as you can while still spitting paint. I had also tried 'dusting' a reflector with clear coat from further away. Maybe 18". This made it MUCH easier to get the right amount, but it gave a more even, dry spray instead of a bumpy clear spray in only some areas. I thought the dry spray would waste more light.

By accident - LED Dome: I was using very thin CA glue to attach a 3W LED to an aluminum bar for a test. I put too much glue down, and it stayed wet for quite a while. Some vapors from the CA appear to have condensed on the LED lens and caused a frosty coating. You might play with this concept if you have a few LEDs to destroy in testing. CA is quite clear.

I'm guessing this might hurt output more than the clear coat method, because it is a frosty looking coating. But I really have no idea.

Maybe make a little fog chamber from a pill bottle or similar, with a hole in the top to expose only the lens.

slaps

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for taking the time to make such an info packed post. The superglue method is interesting. I know milky etches led domes on some builds. I'd like to know how he does it, but he's so busy that it's hard to get a response back. I only have one mc-e led for my U2 mod. I'll have to get it done right the first time.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you aren't set on using the MC-E, have a look at the 6V CREE XM-L Easy White LEDs. The footprint is smaller than the MC-E, and it can be mounted on a standard XM-L MCPCB. I have used them in a few Lux V lights, and the beams were excellent. The four dies weren't visible in the beam, and the output was impressive.

slaps

Newly Enlightened
I'm just focused on getting my N bin MC-E into my U2 no matter the hurdles. I have the feeling that the output will be superb. I have some armour etch glass paste on the way that I'm going to use to attempt to frost my MC-E dome. Hope all goes well because shipping from Australia is expensive.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Slaps,

I havent even heard mention of this in several years, but it was something that was fairly common among modders. Most often I too used it for incan bulbs, but it does work on the dome of an MCE since its glass. All you need to do is brush a little of the Armour etch on and wait about ten mutes, then rinse it off. When it dries you will see how much "frost" have. If you need more go a second round. Its been so long since I have done this I cant remember how long I used to leave the solution on there. I seem to remember the emitters being fairly resilient so it may take more than ten minutes to get it done. All you really need is a good haze or a bit of a whiteness over the dome. Also be careful with putting pressure on the dome because you can pop them off if your not careful. Since the AE will have to be rinsed off with water you may want to bake the emitter at a low temp for a few minutes when your all done to make sure you get all the moisture out.

My only other suggestion is not to under estimate the danger of using this chemical. Gloves and glasses are a good idea. I dont recall where I read this but the chemical in that etch can cause nerve damage without you even knowing its on your skin.

Good lux with your project.

slaps

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the good info. I'll be careful and post some pics when project MC-E is completed.

slaps

Newly Enlightened
Armour Etch is a pretty thick paste that I was able to apply with a Q tip. I left it on the dome for 17 minutes. When an experienced SF U2 modder gets some time I hope to get this baby installed.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
A nice idea but anything that causes diffusion at a surface will result in losses. Typically the best glass diffusers cause 15-20% loss in output. I'd be really interested if anyone is able to measure the loss caused by a dome frosting though. Ideally it would have to be a before and after of the same LED, as each LED can vary by up to 20% in output anyway.