Recomendations for an LED driver & other parts.

Boomer8404

Newly Enlightened
Hello Ya'll,

I've been doing a little reading, starting the research for my first custom flashlight build. I'm starting with a Maglite 6D body or possibly a 3C body. 2 x 26650 cells for power, I know I'd have to build a sleeve for the D body or bore the C body. For the emitter, I want a Cree XM-L2 T6, unless there is a better recommendation. I will use the factory Maglite reflector for now, but would like to either find or make on that's shaped for longer distance-tight beam throw. I have my own lathe so making the aluminum slug work is not an issue. I still need to find a Pyrex lens or something the like for the business end.

But the biggest thing I'm not to sure about is the driver. I would like 3-4 brightness modes, strobe and/or sos, with memory, and voltage monitor warning. If its all possible in a combo. Wanting high power output of 800-1k+ lumens.

If any of you guys could please help me out with some recommendations I would really appreciate the help. Thanks,

Don

Last edited:

Boomer8404

Newly Enlightened
Not a single recommendation at all, not even for a basic driver for a build like this that others have built here? Am I asking this in the wrong section or what?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the requirements for your driver is quite hard to find. To get 1000 lumen+, you would at the least need to look at a driver that can put out 2.8A, such as the 8x7135 ones. The problem here is that most pre-made drivers are for a single Li-ion battery as they are usually made for P60 dropins.
Maybe a custom driver such as "Dr Jones drivers" will have something that fits?

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at Taskled. Not cheap but the best drivers available! Host: Maglite2D/3D, LED: XM-L2; 2x26650 cells, b3Flex driver. You definitely won't be disappointed. You will need some time to study the manual. No SOS or Strobe.

Last edited:

Boomer8404

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the help, much appreciated! Or if I may ask, what would be a good driver to work with a 2 x 26650 cell setup with a Cree xm-l2, and possibly a driver with 3 brightness modes and a voltage check? This will be my first build and I have been reading some here and there, just trying to get some ideas. Thanks, Don.

Last edited:

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Fasttech and IOS both carry 3 amp 2- lithium cell drivers that are 3 mode or 5 modes including strobe and sos. Make sure you really pot the electronics well so they can dissipate heat; do not use the "thermal pads" that come with them, as they are not sufficient. Both drivers have low voltage cutoff. These drivers are a much cheaper option than the b3flex, but also lower quality.

Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
a795136e-47b5-403c-a499-9a2e63114385_zps33d58b72.jpg

Thank you for the help, much appreciated! Or if I may ask, what would be a good driver to work with a 2 x 26650 cell setup with a Cree xm-l2, and possibly a driver with 3 brightness modes and a voltage check? This will be my first build and I have been reading some here and there, just trying to get some ideas. Thanks, Don.

Like said in my previous post, Taskled b3Flex.